back to article President Biden selects Jessica Rosenworcel to head up FCC as acting chairwoman

President Joe Biden has made Democrat FCC commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel acting chairwoman of America's communications regulator. Rosenworcel needs the Senate's approval before she can take on the role on a permanent basis. Even then the FCC leadership will still be split with two Democrat commissioners and two Republicans …

1. Someone Else Silver badge
    Go

Cleanup in Aisle 45

She, like the new President, has a lot to clean up after the Unnatural Disaster of the last 4 years.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Cleanup in Aisle 45

Yes ... The main trumpster fire has been extinguished, but there is still a lot of stinking, smouldering garbage left in odd corners.

It's going to take more than a couple minutes & strokes of the pen to fix the mess.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

I really hope, quite confidantly, that there will be no hidden ticking timebombs to discover and dismantle.

Confidant because of 45's abilities to pull off such a job.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The UK is still cleaning up after Blairs mess & Labour left in 2010!!

Blair stacked key institutions, QUANGO's, NDPB's etc and others with his supporters & subsequent governments either never realised or didn't know how to replace those people with their own. Boris is now making moves to amend this.

The UK Supreme Court is a prime example of a UK institution that stacked itself with leaders opposed to this government.

its far more prevalent & obvious in the US to stack agencies with friendlies and hasn't really been seen as a thing in the UK till now.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
          Alert

This thread has been hjacked.

2. Outski

The UK Supreme Court is stacked with highly experienced judges with a wide range of expertise who've spent their entire careers studying the law, is what I think you meant to say.

2. sanmigueelbeer
    Thumb Up

Congratulations and good luck!

Finally, someone who's got a sane mind.

3. Sampler

Good

From the matters I've followed on the Reg over the last few years she's always seemed like a voice of sense and decency, how she's still sane is anyone's guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Good

Also over the last few years it has become apperent that El Reg will need a subsidiary in China and other world leading localities since there is a lot of reporting on the US situation. A lot.

Also, since I regard El Reg as a british enterprise, focus on the british situation comes as a natural interest.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Since the UK now depends heavily on the USA, what happens in the US affects (if not determines) the domestic situation. Way more than what happens in China, for instance.

2. WhereAmI?

As a right-pondian I've watched Ajit Pai's brazen pocket-lining antics with utter disbelief at times. Good riddance to him and good luck to Jessica Rosenworcel. She has so much shit-shovelling to do it isn't true.

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I was going to comment but I'm too busy answering robo calls ...

4. oiseau
    Go

Interesting

Good, Rosenworcel's got a load of things to both do and undo.

It will now be interesting to see where AH Ajit Pai lands, now that he's out of a job wreaking havoc at the FCC.

And then see if he gets properly called out for it.

O.

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Re: Interesting

Almost certainly on his feet with a nice fat pay check. He's dedicated the last few years working to ensure it, pity his boss didn't tell him that wasn't his job. Also funny how nobody's jumping to his defence on the forum.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

> nobody's jumping to his defense on the forum

Nobody from US Big Cable is reading this?

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Only because it takes so long to load the page.

2. Drew Scriver

Maybe tonight. At the moment they're busy interviewing Pai for the new job.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

[...] pity his boss didn't tell him that wasn't his job.

His boss thought it was his job.

5. Claptrap314 Silver badge

So this is a clear-cut issue?

You think that Google & Disney should be able to consume however much bandwidth they want & the ISPs should be required to just provide it?

Net Neutrality is a fight between Big Content & the ISPs. There is a slight advantage for new technologies with NN, which I why I tend to favor it, but it is FAR from an issue where simplistic solutions are going to end up with consumer-friendly outcomes.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: So this is a clear-cut issue?

Google and Disney ARE, to all intents and purposes, the ISP. But ISPs don't exist in a vacuum. They require peers, for the mutually beneficial exchange of packets. They can consume all the bandwidth they like, they are paying for their end. Likewise, I am paying for MY end. If I decide they are using too much of my end, I'll depeer them. And I have. They don't exist on my Internet. Problem solved.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon