back to article Google's cloud pulls out in front for best performance overall, while AWS remains most cost-efficient – report

Distributed SQL database biz Cockroach Labs has analysed public cloud performance and concluded that Google Cloud Platform wins on throughput, although AWS is ahead on CPU performance and network latency. Cockroach Labs first reported on cloud performance in 2018, saying: "We are committed to building a cloud neutral product, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> while Azure scored for its Ultra Disk storage in cases where cost is not the key consideration

This seems by far the most niche of the three awards. One cloud provider was best performing, another was most cost-effective, and the third wasn't great at either but one of its really specific products edged the alternatives, although it's super expensive. Soooo... samesies?

2. spireite Silver badge

A-zzzz-ure

As someone who works with AWS and Azure, I have to say that Azure seems the least performant of the two.....

If an organisation is wedded to O365 and other MS products, you'll not get them to steer away from Azure, no matter what a report says... or comparison in-house matrices

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

So what you're saying is

As the caveat says, no one's performance is significantly better or worse than anyone else's. Plus, everyone's performance is improving and no one knows when or what the next bump will be. And as far as cost, that can change tomorrow.

I find the report informative but not actionable.

4. trist

Aren't they just splitting hairs?

Seems like there is nothing between them. I wonder if they open source their testing software so that VW could enter the cloud market and produce contrived test results.

Honestly, it's like ranking three dentists you've been to recently.

5. runt row raggy
    Thumb Down

lies, damn lies, and benchmarks

i don't have time to fact check the entire article, but using aws' m6g.4xlarge for best network performance is clearly not right as that's only a 10Gibps instance whereas (without looking too hard) m5g.16xlarge is 25Gbips and c5n.18xlarge is 100Gibps. are there constraints that this report used that one has to dig through some notes to find?

6. trist

Has anyone ranked the Quantum offerings?

What would the criterion be? Which one promises more? Which simulation is the most accurate to something that we don't yet have?

7. Arthur Kater :-D ☺

Missing Engineering Cost

Missing in the report is development/engineering cost to get a solution running and maintained on either of the clouds.

AWS, Azure and GC differ hugely in how easy it is for engineers to use either cloud offering.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like