back to article US gov sets up the National Artificial Intelligence Initiative Office at the last minute before Trump's presidency ends

Just days before President Trump is due to leave office, the White House created its National Artificial Intelligence Initiative Office, which will sit under the Office of Science and Technology Policy. The org will be in charge of helping industry and academia work together to ensure the development of AI falls in line with …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This title is optional and was written by AI

The goliath model was trained on 750GB of text scraped from the internet, would would require a lot of computational resources to crunch through all that data. The Googlers managed to do it with just 32 TPU cores, we're told, thanks to a new technique they call the Switch Transformers. The paper describing the method is a mindboggling.

Did it write the article itself?

1. StargateSg7

Re: This title is optional and was written by AI

From a computer science point of view, a 1.6 trillion item data set is ONLY a 2D-XY 1000 by 1000 item array with a time period of 1600.

or expressed as the following pseudocode:

Type

// I.e. a 32-bit evaluation record containing any user-defined Boolean type

// Expert System or A.I.-centric data that is evaluated within a For-Next loop.

Evaluation_Record_Type = Record

Status_Code

Error_Code : Byte;

YES_NO_MAYBE_Evaluation : Byte;

Current_Evaluation_State : Byte;

End;

// Define a 3D-XYZ array of ONE BILLION Boolean Evaluation records.

Evaluation_Data_3D_Array_Type =

Array[ ZERO..999, ZERO..999, ZERO..999 ] of Evaluation_Record_Type;

// Define 1600 sets of a 3D-XYZ array of Evaluation Records

Time_Domain_Evaluation_Array = Array[ ZERO..1599 ] of Evaluation_Data_3D_Array_Type;

The above data set is now a 1.6 TRILLION item array of 32-bit long records!

We actually do this in our sleep all day every day!

I even do this on my personal el-cheapo workstation since I have 8 terabytes of RAM so I can hold that ENTIRE data set in system RAM alone! AND since I run SIMD and MIMD processing on that dataset i can number-crunch all that data in less than 10 seconds (32-bits wide at 50 TeraFLOPS on our cheapo AMD GPUs) -- We can do that processing in mere nanoseconds if we use the our 60 GHz GaAs multi-cpu monster-machines!

A 1.6 Trillion item data set is SMALL POTATOES these days!

Call me when you get to Multi-ExaByte-sized and Zetta-Byte sized data sets!!!

V

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1.6 trillion parameters

so that should cover a specific set of 42 questions with binary yes/no asnswers, but it'll fall over when someone asks a 43rd question.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 1.6 trillion parameters

And the answer is ................

3. Howard Sway Silver badge

trained on 750GB of text scraped from the internet

And the answer to the question, the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is.....

For Amazing 30% Discounts on the Answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything Click Here Now! Hurry! Limited Offer!

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: US National Artificial Intelligence Initiative Office

Oh look, what is it that they say and/or Oscar Wilde said? ...... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness. ........ https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2021/01/14/nao_ministry_defence_budget_report_cyber/#c_4188571

5. MrBanana
    Joke

Define intelligence

The perennial question for AI developers is the comparison of their algorithms to what we know as human intelligence. If they chose Donald J Trump as the baseline, I wonder if he could pass the Turing test. I'd say an IoT enabled light bulb would have the win.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Define intelligence

The bulb don't need even be orange......

6. not.known@this.address
    Facepalm

"The National Artificial Intelligence Initiative Office"?

Just as Trump leaves? Someone timed that really well, didn't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: "The National Artificial Intelligence Initiative Office"?

It's probably an attempt to embed more Trump loyalists. Due to American civil service rules, political appointees can be removed by the incoming president but career employees can't. Trump is trying to move his loyalists from the former category to the latter which is called embedding. A new Office creates new career positions for Trump to embed loyalist.

1. DS999 Silver badge

They can't really do much to hurt the next administration though, other than run this new AI initiative office incompetently. It is probably more of a giveaway to loyalists than "embedding". Give them a nice cushy government job where they may not actually do anything (depending on whether they competent loyalists or incompetent loyalists)

1. Clunking Fist

"They can't really do much to hurt the next administration though,"

They could take the letter "J" out of all the keyboards in the Whitehouse like Clinton did when he left (he took "W" for obvious reasons).

1. 96percentchimp

https://www.truthorfiction.com/trashingthewhitehouse/

I like the idea of Bill Clinton wandering the Whitehouse, personally removing W keys from the keyboard (while playing saxophone and smoking a cigar), although it sounds more like something that Trump would do (but I am biased). Most likely it was Clinton's staff, but it also sounds like a tradition that goes back several administrations.

Bush Jr, to his credit, seems to have put a stop to it for the Obama handover.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AISUCKS

So what's Artificial Intelligence? It sounds about as useful as Artificial Sex but less fun.

1. Clunking Fist

Re: AISUCKS

Really? To me :"It sounds like Artificial Sex but less useful."

But that could just be me?

8. Anonymous Custard
    Trollface

A natural comedy straight-man

“Through the Trump Administration’s historic efforts and the unparalleled enthusiasm and activity of the private sector and academia, the United States remains the world leader in artificial intelligence,”

I think that has to be one of the greatest set-ups to a comedy punchline that I've heard in ages.

So good I'm sure you can all insert your own...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A natural comedy straight-man

Trump doesn't know what ordinary intelligence is - never mind the artificial stuff!

9. IGotOut Silver badge

Hmmm

"work together to ensure the development of AI falls in line with US strategy"

They have one?

1. Panicnow

Re: Hmmm

... it does now!

10. a_yank_lurker

Facial recognition

Trying to determine someone's trustworthiness from facial expressions, etc. during a stressful situation (job interview) seems like it could give too many false negative (not trustworthy) to be reliable. 'Training' the system with mock interviews is a failure as by definition a mock interview is not a real interview; the actual stress for a candidate is not there.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Facial recognition

It's truly remarkable that:

1) Anyone was deluded enough to think something like this could ever work;

2) Anyone would be sufficiently hard of thinking to actually use it live.

I suppose it does prove that some people will buy anything with "AI" in the name/blurb, and that HR drones will continue to do anything everything they can to avoid doing any actual work, no matter how obviously bad an idea is.

What's next? AI-based phrenology?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Facial recognition

Not hiring someone "cos I is black" = illegal

Training a neural net on a data set of black criminal mugshots and white Harvard graduation photos and then asking it to select candidates = 21st century cutting-edge data-driven best-practice superskilling

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI vs NS

Artificial intelligence can always be beaten by natural stupidity!

Re: AI vs NS

We must ensure our world lead in natural stupidity is preserved

We cannot let a stupidity gap develop

1. Clunking Fist

By stepping from Trump to Biden, the US may just have heard you...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But waddabout the National Stupidity Agency??????

It's being relocated to Florida

12. Auntie Dickspray
    Stop

Only Weak-Willed Suckers with No Self-Respect Submit to Recorded Video Interviews

The title says it all.

Keywords:

- Forced Opt-In.

- Arbitration Clause.

- Easier-Than-Ever Age/Race/Sex Discrimination.

Hype from the sellers of this shitware aside, only a handful of firms pull this BS.

Honeywell is one of them. I gave them the finger and told them why. In the end: Multiple high offers from other companies, and none required video prostitution.

So, keep the faith and just say no!

Re: Only Weak-Willed Suckers with No Self-Respect Submit to Recorded Video Interviews

amanFromMars1 - have you had a change of pronoun ?

1. Auntie Dickspray
        Terminator

Re: Only Weak-Willed Suckers with No Self-Respect Submit to Recorded Video Interviews

Sorry, I don't know who that is, and I don't want to look at any fecal recognition software.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like