back to article Intel CEO Bob Swan is stepping down to be replaced by VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Intel CEO Bob Swan's time at the head of Chipzilla is coming to an end and Intel's first CTO, Pat Gelsinger, is to replace him. Swan's tenure will draw to a close on 15 February and old hand (and current VMware CEO) Gelsinger will take control of the troubled chipmaker. "Today's announcement is unrelated to Intel's 2020 …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Good Lord, he's still alive ?

Not only that, but after 30 years at Intel and a cumulative 11 years being important elsewhere, he doen't retire, he goes back to being important at Intel.

That is definitely an impressive career. Intel can be chuffed to bits to have him back.

1. Elfoad Regfoad

Re: Good Lord, he's still alive ?

He's a solid engineer who also knows business. Intel should be happy to have him back. However hope he doesn't show the anticompetitive a-hole-y behavior he has shown in the past which has hurt consumers and the market overall. Otherwise FTC should strongly consider breaking Intel up.

2. ColonelClaw

Re: Good Lord, he's still alive ?

Not only is he still alive, but he looks about 45 years old. If I didn't know better I'd swear he was a vampire

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Not enough

The issue w Intel is more than just replacing the CEO.

This is like IBM changing CEOs and expecting any lasting changes.

Need to axe large layers of management.

3. JWLong

Let's see, you shit can a CEO that's a bean counter and your stock goes up (8.4 %).

World+dog take note.

4. Fred Goldstein

Won't the Reg at least once recall his old nickname Kicking Pat? And tell us why?

5. Roger Kynaston

swapping virtzilla for chipzilla

Does that make him Godzilla?

6. Greg 38

Years in the making

Swan is taking the fall for the manufacturing issues at Intel. However, the development cycle from Rev99 base initial process to a production process rolled out to Intel's "virtual factory" runs about 4 years at the minimum. I know because I worked there.

There are more fundamental problems with the development team and Intel's divisional cpu architecture. These have not been addressed by the head swapping.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like