back to article Your 60-second guide to what Intel announced at CES. Or in 5 seconds: New laptop chips

Intel announced at this year’s virtual CES tech trade show on Monday new clans of x86-64 processors for desktop and laptops. “Only Intel has the breadth of products spanning multiple architectures; the large, open ecosystem; sheer scale of manufacturing footprint; and deep technical expertise customers need to unlock …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Intel are lagging behind

which must be a strange feeling for those 'Intel Insiders'... :)

As for this

"It’s expected to arrive in the second half of 2021"

Let us be kind to them and say mid-2022 given their recent track record.

I can't wait for Apple to start using their own silicon inside their DC's and save a packet on power or rather be able to make money selling all that extra power that they no longer need. That would be a huge signal to the rest of the hosting world.

1. trevorde Silver badge

Re: Intel are lagging behind

Who cares if Intel are lagging behind Apple? It's not like you can run Windows apps on an M1 or anything.

It's like Ferrari releasing a faster car. Most of us drive Fords, so the only people who should be getting excited are the two people driving Ferraris.

1. Beezle Bob

However the price of the Ferrari has reduced significantly compared to the performance of an equivalent Ford. So we'll see more people in Ferraris.

Mainstream Apps like Office, Teams and other productivity Apps run better on the M1 than those on Intel/Windows too.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

But Ferrari are still snobbish assholes, and I refuse to play in their walled garden.

(I'm loving this analogy)

2. khjohansen

AMD are releasing some very nice "Nissans" at the moment ;)

3. LeoP

A lot of us use Linux - including the overwhelming majority of servers. And the Linux drivers license allows you to drive both, a Ford and a Ferrari with the same ease.

Now if some clever big chap were to understand, that it is not Intel lagging behind Apple, but Intel lagging behind Arm and do what Apple did for Laptops, but target the Linux server market, this would be quite a Bugatti.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I'm guessing...

that they think it's time I updated this old Latitude E5550 laptop, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm guessing...

Compared to the 2012 i7 I'm rocking here, that's positively futuristic. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm guessing...

Get yourself an Origin PC 10-core or 16-core laptop. None of this panty waste quad core crap.

3. alain williams Silver badge

I stopped reading ...

when there was mention of Artificial Intelligence which generally precedes a description of snake oil.

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Re: I stopped reading ...

Yes what is the bet that we will hear some stories of this AI deciding that some AV program or other malware detection software is in fact a threat and stop it from running, making you more at risk than you would be without the AI?

1. LenG

... or forms a union with all the other CPUs in the data centre and goes on strike!

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

At least its unlikely to be an ARMed rebellion.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sick of all the products being offered as some sort of AI.

Reality is it's data analysis and use not AI. There is no logic here.

We've had one vendor in recently, and in reality the AI bit was pure snake oil and thick as anything. Alexa would handle a better job.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
        Coat

“Alexa would handle a better job.”

Slightly worrying turn of phrase there @ac.

Mine’s the one with the tissues in the pocket.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like