back to article Pork-tracking website problems add extra crackling to US-Taiwan-China tensions

A website that was supposed to offer real time tracking of pork imports to Taiwan has highlighted regional tensions. The site was created by Taiwan’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) after the island nation agreed to accept US pork imports containing ractopamine, a supplement that helps livestock to quickly grow larger and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pork-tracking website

Oh, a *pork*-tracking website. I was a little worried there for a moment...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Pompeo rewrote the rules

I gather that now the USA officially considers Taiwan to be independant.

8 days before changing President.

Should that not have been the kind of thing left to Biden to consider ?

I approve of the fact that Taiwan is officially considered a country by the USA. I despise the pussy-footing around that issue by most governments today, including my own French government which can't even be arsed to have an actual Embassy in Taipei.

But that does not excuse the fact that such a major shift in diplomatic relations should not be made 8 days before the President is replaced.

Trumpt and his administration are decidedly intent on causing as much mayhem as they possibly can.

Shameful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pompeo rewrote the rules

You should remember that the current situation is not one created by our government, or any other.

That was a decision taken jointly by both (at the time) dictatorships in Beijing and Taipei in 1971, when the UN seat for China switched from the ROC to the PRC. They both decided to continue to claim there was One China, and the other was the rebel one that would some day be tamed and reunited.

So, the French government really can't recognize Taiwan as a country when Taiwan does not define itself officially as an independent country, but as the Republic of China. We can't recognize two Chinas, since they both say there is only one.

And the very real, very pragmatic, and very mutually beneficial economic ties that the ROC and the PRC have established over the years are generally considered too important by both sides to unbalance on a political whim that would, even if peacefully done, change very little in people's lives. That's why it's not the role of France, or others, to push that carefully constructed Jenga tower down.

And let me insist on the fact that it is indeed very pragmatic. While the lack of official recognition is an important symbol, it's barely noticeable in daily lives. People from Taiwan can visit and live on the mainland (I know some) and the other way around. This is nothing like the lack of recognition of Israel by Iran.

Any attempt to break that carefully constructed balance by either side is worrying. When it's an outside ignorant jerk that comes kicking around because he wants to annoy his successor, it should be terrifying.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

> ignorant jerk that comes kicking around because he wants to annoy his successor

It's called the "scorched earth policy" and is as old as mankind... The point being to make sure the winner won't find anything usable left, and will be hindered as much as possible in his endeavors. If Trump doesn't get to play anymore, nobody does!

In this perspective, expect them to insult China (and Russia), and generally stir things up just before having to yield power: Ideally a large war, or at least a huge famine would nicely mar Biden's term of office, and teach him a lesson not to meddle with the Great Trump.

1. EnviableOne

IMHO, the PRC/ROC issue is one of the biggest threats that could become WW3

with both china an russia very local and USA firmly on the POC side, it could escalate very fast

3. Dippywood

On Monday, the FDA ’fessed up to an error

Pork Bork!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Proud of their Pork

Nearly fell foul of the Taiwanese pork rules flying into Taipei. Luckily remembered the pack of salami snacks in my bag. NT$200,000 (£5300) avoided.

Apparently consumption of fresh pork means thst imported pork isn't at the top of the shopping list for most Taiwanese.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh no, its the Aporkalypse!

But seriously, Democracy or Bacon? Is that even a choice?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like