back to article Beware the ghost of operating systems past: In which our hero is visited by an old friend

With the Twelfth Night approaching, we finish our 12 Borks of Christmas* (12BoC) series by waxing a little Dickensian as the ghost of operating systems past pays a visit. Spotted by Register reader Don Harwood at the platform of Radley (near the UK city of Oxford) a while ago, the Help Point seems to be in need of help. Our …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Sure, it wasn't the most stable of systems, it was pretty much like Windows 10 although it booted up about ten times faster. I wonder if they will try to fix the problem by plugging in 1 gigabyte of RAM?

1. Anonymous Coward
    2. shade82000

It may boot 10 times faster on modern hardware, but the hardware back in 2001 was about 30 times slower so it's all relative.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

First stop

Back when I deployed PCs with XP, the page file was the second thing I adjusted... right after adjust for best performance and use classic mode.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: First stop

Pick a size, any size, but for the love of defrag, don't pick a range of pagefile sizes.

Never understood how MS thought a process that pretty much guaranteed a severely fragmented pagefile (not to mention the boot disk in 90% of installs) was a good idea.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

User Name: Administrator

Brilliant.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Facepalm

Re: User Name: Administrator

Its just lazy

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or incredibly clever.

Someone I used to work with used to make sure the user called Administrator had the most restrictive access on the computer. The real admin account was called something completely different.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
          Facepalm

nimda?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If I remember correctly, I think he used to call it "guest". Because everyone knows the guest account is useless.

2. Stoneshop

The real admin account was called something completely different.

Nqzvavfgengbe ?

3. Captain Scarlet
          Paris Hilton

Ah yes silly of me to jump to conclusions, thats actually a very good idea.

4. Steve Foster

Ah, BG Info

I still have that on some of my servers...

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Ah, BG Info

Judging from the BGInfo image this XP has been trucking for over 2 years without a reboot...

Is it XP and one of its components, or is it the Help Point software(?) that has been (slowly) leaking all the memory?

5. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Happy

Thanks, El Reg

Thanks for this series... it did bring much-needed smiles this Christmas. Cheers!

6. earl grey
    Facepalm

And a happy new year to all

I'm sure there will be no more borks in 2021.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like