back to article Trump administration bans eight Chinese apps

United States president Donald Trump has signed an executive order banning the use of eight Chinese apps, namely Alipay, CamScanner, QQ Wallet, SHAREit, Tencent QQ, VMate, WeChat Pay, and WPS Office. The executive order says the apps “threaten national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States” because China …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Every app has access to the internet. This is by design of Google. So you think you're granting the *app*, and only the app, permission to some private data, but actually, you're granting the *company* behind the app permissions to read your private data, and their governments and the government of any jurisdiction they trade in, and their partner companies, and the governments that the partner companies trade in.......

They write a privacy policy, but they get to interpret that policy in secret way broader that any court would!

The solution?

1. A firewall on the apps, and

2. the ability to deny the apps access to data without telling them. e.g. reject access to the camera, should still tell the app it *has* the camera access, but prompt the user each time the app tries to access the camera, while giving the app access to a blank camera feed till the person grants permission.

Also quit the selling of user private data, make it illegal, and you'll kill off the market for it. Apps should not be able to spy on their users, then sell their secrets for profit. Yet that is what is being sold in the market for private data.

1. teknopaul

Re: Meh

This is just noise. Don't look for reason in Trump's actions outside self interest.

Man is cozy with the cozy bear. The only privacy Trump is interested in is not publishing kompromat.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Meh

This is all about Donnie trying to tie the Biden administration in as many knots as he can.

Think of a feral (and possibly rabid) dog pissing and shitting wherever he can.

2. cornetman Silver badge

That's interesting.

Recently, AliExpress has started to offer Paypal (over Alipay) which I prefer so that's actually good for me.

I prefer to pay by debit rather than my credit card.

I wonder if they got wind of this coming down the road or if it is unrelated.

1. AndyS

Probably just aiming for more custom from a Western user base, for whom Paypal is already familiar. I know I've used Aliexpress before, but it's never crossed my mind to use Alipay.

1. cornetman Silver badge

For the longest time, for me credit card through Alipay (in Canada) has been the only options presented.

Now I only see Paypal.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump coup ends here

Democrats are now the elected leaders of the Executive, Congress and Senate branches of government. The people have spoken loud and clear, despite all the Republican games to suppress their votes. That's despite Republican election rigging.

The military needs to follow the democracy. Follow the constitution. Follow the people. That's not Trump, that's not Republicans. They have no legitimate claim to leadership. They have no legitimate claim to power. None.

This Republican coup plot ends here. Trump can flee to Moscow and join Viktor Yanukovych, the other Putin puppet that Paul Manasfort put into power.

Pennsylvanian Republican plotters need to go to jail for that attempted coup. They are not the legitimate leaders of the State of Pennsylvanian. The people voted and they lost. Attempting to keep power by voting to overrule the people's choice has no legitimacy. Republicans have no legitimacy.

Prosecute them.

No more slaps on the wrists, prosecute them.

Democracy 1, Republicans 0.

1. DenTheMan

Direct plane to Moscow. Changeover minus 1....

Do not stop at Glasgow..

4. Criminny Rickets

I wonder what the impetus was on banning WPS Office? I have the free version of this running on some work computers, as I find it preferable to LibreOffice.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Why WPS Office?

I wonder what the impetus was on banning WPS Office?

This is exactly the issue, isn't it? What are the details that led to the decision? It's one thing to say "China bad therefore Chinese apps bad" but at least some of us want to make informed decisions and want a reasonable amount of transparency from our leaders.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And how exactly is a payment app supposed to work without a data connection?

Presumably this means that China will ban Paypal, Amazon Pay, Stripe, Apple Pay and Google Pay in retaliation...

1. AndyS

Or, if they've any sense (which they've proved they do - when compared to the toddlers who've been running the US), they'll simply wait out until the idiots leave the Whitehouse, and start negotiating with adults instead.

6. NonSSL-Login

The US wants to be in charge of every payment system in the world so it controls the whole flow of money. Saying that, most of this seems to Trump having a hissy fit over China for his own reasons.

Paypal and VIsa blocking payments to come companies on behalf of the US government and also their media cartels, aka the RIAA & MPAA/Hollywood, shows they cannot be trusted to do so.

Give me a non-US option and I will use it. I will continue to use Alipay over Paypal but really need a nice alternative to Google/Apply pay as paying by phone tapping is so handy (+secure due to token and outlets not getting your actual card details) and the only reason I have held off getting the Hauwei P40 Pro. Been hoping with Trump on his way out all the Huawei bullshit will be out the window in time for me to get a useful P50 Pro.

If I was a business, I would probably prefer to keep information to my local country. As an individual, its preferable to give my data to China & Russia as I don't trust my own government and it's allies to use the information against me me in some form or another.

1. very angry man

I am sorry i have only 1 up vote to give.

the US/ US corp's get a commish on EVERY transaction that happens in US dollars, thats mega every year, they want their money they want it now and for ever more.

7. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

As the ban takes effect 45 days from the signing of the executive order, that’s a problem the incoming Biden Administration gets to solve.

More likely, that's a problem they can void entirely by signing an opposite statement, no?

1. AndyS

“Why Is @BarackObama constantly issuing executive orders that are major power grabs of authority?”

Trump, on executive orders, in 2012.

He's since issued more than any other president, of course.

I'd imaging there will be quite a lot of tidying up to do when the adults enter the room later in the month.

8. DenTheMan

I am temted to wear my nuke proof dung-gerees.

Who would have thought that the US would become the new world capital of pigeon shit.

Coo coo.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like