back to article No amount of Glasgow handshaking will revive this borked kiosk

On the fifth day of Christmas, the bork gods sent to me: Scottish parking whinge, one dead DB, petty angry user, flightless Windows signage, and a server they said had ceased to be. Welcome to the Twelve Borks of Christmas (12BoC): a collection of Register reader stories of amusing and frustrating tech sightings over the …

1. smudge
    Headmaster

Pacific Quay?

In Glasgow?

Geography lessons needed urgently!

1. lybad
      Happy

Re: Pacific Quay?

Yes? Your point being?

Cos there's never a name of a location in any other city in the world...

1. smudge

Yes? Your point being?

I rest my case :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It was am marketing name, justified (as I understand it) because it was a an area of the dock historically used by boats heading to the Pacific. A bit ambitious as a name, nonetheless - akin to an Atlantic View Hotel in Norwich. Perhaps it should be sponsored by a well-know brand of opticians...

One of my favourite trivia points is that the western end of the Panama canal connects to the Atlantic and the eastern end to the Pacific (the Atlantic to Pacific route is roughly NW->SE).

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Then there are whole towns which seem to be confused.

If it weren't for the utter lack of a beach and being one of the points in the UK furthest from the sea in any direction you could be forgiven for thinking Matlock Bath is a typcal touristy seaside town, complete with chip shops, penny arcades, a 'promenade' and gangs of bikers turning up regularly, in the manner of Weston or Skeggy or Barry Island.

Somewhat amuses my children whenever we drive through!

M.

1. PhilBuk

Don't forget the Matlock Illuminations. Puts Blackpool to shame.

Phil.

2. Danny 2

Actually, the area had no links to the Pacific. It used to be Plantation Quay, which as you can guess was linked to the slave trade.

One of my favourite trivia points is that the first two occupants were the BBC and MI5.

[Finley Quaye released one hugely successful album, then moved to London in a blaze of alcohol fuelled violence - genuine Glaswegian!]

1. smudge

Actually, the area had no links to the Pacific.

Thank you! That was my point.

Glasgow made its wealth from tobacco, sugar and cotton - none of which came from the Pacific. Ships to and from the likes of India and the Far East would have gone round Africa and across the Indian Ocean.

As someone has already said, Pacific Quay is just a name dreamt up by some ignorant marketing people, in the 1990s.

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Coat

Atlantic Quay is on the other side of the river, just down the road from India Quay.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

..And like many major or formally major UK ports, there's almost certainly a Baltic Quay too. Simply because often those quays served ships from those places.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

|yep.

Sorta like 'Greenland Dock' which just happens to be adjacent to Surrey Quays in Rotherhithe.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Surrey Quays in Rotherhithe.

FWIW, Surrey Quays station used to be called Surrey Docks.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WTF

Does "12BoC" mean?

Holmes

Re: WTF

As per every article in the series, within the first paragraph or two, if you look really carefully, there is a cunning clue hidden there "Welcome to the Twelve Borks of Christmas (12BoC)"

2. Stoneshop
        Pint

Twelve Bottles of Cider.

Twelve Beards of Columbus

Twelve Barnacles on Crackers

Twelve Birdbrains on Cocaine

3. chivo243 Silver badge
        Coat

Wait, it has noting to do with Blue Oyster Cult? and their new album 12?

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Means for 12 days, the Vultures West, Central and Down Under will either be partying (socially distanced/zoom) or sleeping off with both Yuletide and New Year celebrations, and a set of pre-prepared articles have been set to be automatically released at intervals throughout the period to keep the commentards amused and occupied, and not forgetting the all important ad-impressions ticking over

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pacific Quay? In Glasgow? Geography lessons needed urgently!

Yes, you do need these. Pacific Quay is in Glasgow.

Lots of place names lie. There's a Jamaica St in Glasgow - not far away from Pacific Quay as it happens - but it does't fucking go to Jamaica.

London's India Docks have nothing to do with India. Or docks.

1. martinusher Silver badge

>London's India Docks have nothing to do with India. Or docks.

There used to be docks there for ships trading with the Indies.

Difficult as it is to imagine there was a time when passenger liners used to come up the Thames and dock at these docks. I've actually done this; it was a real "Welcom to Lodon" thing. Imagine its June, you sail up the Thames in glorious evening sunlight only to get off the boat next morning with it pissing down.All day. Ahhhh -- England!

2. katrinab Silver badge

There’s a London Road on the other side of Glasgow. That does go to London, though these days you would take the M74 which runs parallel to it. Dumbarton Road goes to Dumbarton. A “street” generally doesn’t go anywhere, a “road” generally does.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

A “street” generally doesn’t go anywhere, a “road” generally does

Indeed - not always

As Paul McCartney wrote...

"The long and winding road, that leads, to your door"

"You left me standing here a long long time ago"

5. PhilipN Silver badge

Notice the original baker's dozen of your DV'ers ebbed away as the Scots slowly learnt irony.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Hey!

Why doesn't the water all fall out?

Facepalm

Re: Hey!

It's locked in the quay?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In Glasgow it's held in place by fatburg

3. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

It'll only run out slowly through the quayhole

3. alain williams Silver badge

I see no image

just an instruction telling me to switch on javascript. If they cannot display an image without javascript then they are doing it wrong; either that or they want something else - probably my personal information.

4. Howard Sway Silver badge

At least this Glaswegian kiosk is bang up to date on the operating system

As long as you accept that a parking meter requires an unstable consumer PC operating system that needs 20 GB of disk space. Which I don't.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: At least this Glaswegian kiosk is bang up to date on the operating system

More to the point, why is it using the consumer version?

Windows IoT doesn't have that login screen - unless you specifically add it, and only a fool would do that for a kiosk.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Holmes

OS Up to date, yes, but it's like using a Howitzer while hunting grouse...

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge
          Coffee/keyboard

"using a Howitzer while hunting grouse"

Tickled my sense of humour for some reason, hence ------>

1. Giles C Silver badge

No it should be more like this

(Monty Python mosquito hunters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBbJAIcnBI

2. Outski
            Happy

Reminds me of Charlie Croker's line in the Italian Job when he's picking his car up:

"You must have killed quite a lot of tigers."

"Yes, I used a machine gun."

2. R Soul Silver badge

"using a Howitzer while hunting grouse"

Since the hardware has to be impregnable to the Glasgow weather as well as vomit infused with Buckfast and deep-fried Mars, it's hardly surprising the vendors over-spec'ed the software just to be on the safe side.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

> More to the point, why is it using the consumer version?

> Windows IoT doesn't have that login screen - unless you specifically add it, and only a fool would do that for a kiosk.

Perhaps if our intrepid reporter were to lurk close to this parking meter with a bluetooth keyboard we might discover even more stupidity on the part of the machine's developers?

3. low_resolution_foxxes

Is it urban myth now that half the ATMs in Europe still use Win XP cause too expensive to upgrade?

Have heard of some amazing hack feats using a drill to gain access to unsecured USB sockets.

5. Parsimonious Tankard
    Unhappy

"Located next to BBC Scotland (one can take a stroll around the set of Mrs Brown's Boys thanks to Google StreetView if one is so inclined)"

Why? Why would you inflict this sort of cruelty on your readers?

6. Bitsminer Silver badge

What is "Glasgow handshaking"?

Is it a secret handshake?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is "Glasgow handshaking"?

Use your “heed” son...

7. Cheshire Cat
    Thumb Up

The picture on the lockscreen is of Cathedral Cove in New Zealand, which was also used in the Prince Caspian 'Narnia' film. Though the shape is rather similar to the silhouette of Gru's head

8. Clarecats
    Go

Reminds me of...

Riven. I've always seen that as the cave mouth in Riven.

No cars in Riven, but there was a bullet train and big kettle/ submarine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like