back to article Google says it’s the cleanest cloud, also reveals deal with Saudi Arabia’s state-owned oil company for new cloud region

Google has proclaimed itself the “cleanest cloud in the industry” due to its exclusive use of renewable energy and announced a new cloud region in Saudi Arabia that will be resold by an arm of state-owned oil and gas company Saudi Aramco. Both pieces of news arrived in a single announcement. The announcement also revealed …

1. 9Rune5

As does the internal reaction to working with an arm of the world’s largest fossil fuel company.

Isn't that a good news scenario if you're a fervent believer in the CO2 climate knob hypothesis?

A fossil fuel company that is now looking for other business areas would suggest that said business is looking for alternatives to keep operating when their main business fizzles out.

Or is the expectation here that we the citizens should make this company pay for their folly? Run them into the ground as it were?

Personally I'd be more concerned with any human rights violations perpetrated by the Saudis, but that is just me.

1. Insert sadsack pun here

Those human rights abuses are paid for using the money earned from selling fossil fuels.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

Doesn't make any difference.

Who they work with has no impact on where and how Google source their energy.

"I refuse to work with you because ${stick_up_arse}", is just petulant, childish idiocy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh yes it does....

Saudi Arabia burns heavy oil and natural gas for electricity generation, with the datacenter being owned by Aramco.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Meh

Re: Oh yes it does....

It is quite sunny in that part of the world, so good potential for solar, at least during day-time, which just happens to be when you would need the most cooling.

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Re: Doesn't make any difference.

“I refuse to work with you because ${stick_up_arse}

What you call a stick up the arse, I call principles

Do you remember what they are?

Google are so full of shit its just hilarious. Just like every other cunting sociopath infested organisation out there.

Bill Hicks had some amazing advice for these people, who he referred to as ‘those working in marketing’

Every shitshow of a company out there has a room filled with these marketing bags of shit, every statement they make I just roll my fucken eyes every time

Every time!

3. MiguelC Silver badge

MBS

"And of course, he is suspected of being aware [my emphasis] of the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was dismembered in Saudi Arabia’s Istanbul consulate."

Wow! Understatement of the year award right there!

4. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Google lost the plot when the brains of the operation moved over to Alphabet.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if that wankstain James Murdoch was on the Google board, like he is on the Tesla board

These cunts are never far away

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Big Brother

So, Google is consorting with more anti-democratic overlords. And ?

Google is a multinational conglomerate. It bows before Beijing. It mouths words of equality and trust in democratic countries to make itself sound nice.

Meanwhile, it mines everyone's activities as much as it can to sell data to ad companies. It lies about how it steals our data. That is what it does. The rest is just PR.

1. mevets

Re: So, Google is consorting with more anti-democratic overlords. And ?

It also bowes before Washington. It just isn't as obvious, but it is completely in line with the transformation of the USA into an authoritarian regime. It is even helping, alongside its buddies.

6. Dyson Lu

Anyone remember this?

"Don't be evil"

Riiiiight... They just work with evil.

7. Blackjack Silver badge

Let me guess...

Other clouds are powered by coal?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google Cloud, now featuring...

the Google Cloud Bonesaw!

9. six_tymes

this is disgusting for so many reasons,. a few mentioned already. shocked and mad to read this.

1. mevets

Yup, newsflash, google is disgusting, news at 11.

2. Robert Grant

Sounds like the article did its job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like