back to article Log right in, the water's fine, whispers Microsoft as it adds autofill to Authenticator app

Microsoft has opened up the public preview of password autofill via its Authenticator app for iOS and Android. Requiring iOS 12.0 or above, or Android 6.0 and later, Microsoft's Authenticator app (initially aimed at two-factor authentication) has been pressed into password management. Entering a crowded market already …

1. IceC0ld

not sure here, on the one hand there ARE alot of sites that still only have a paassword access, so yes, it is hitting a need, but maybe it would have been better to try and educate the masses ........................

WTF am I saying, educate the masses, they are the reason most of us have jobs ffs

so maybe MS got it right, but as to whether I will use it, again, let us wait and see what the early adopter brigade say ?

2. DevOpsTimothyC

What's the point of MFA now ?

So the whole point of MFA is that all the credentials are in a single location.

Next someone will be telling me that their authentication app is built on IE technology and not to worry because there are no "known" unpatched vulnerabilities

3. fidodogbreath

Hmm...give Microsoft all my passwords?

Nope.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All password vaults seem to eventually devolve into cloud storage

Then they start leaking.

Can I just have a decent vault that is well integrated but keeps the live vault on the device and not their cloud? Yes, but probably only till the next update. Gotta get that monthly subscription $$. Gotta keep adding features, get that user lock in, hit that next quarterly earnings target. I get the market they are trying to tap, we use a team vault at work. I just want something I can keep MY stuff in that's separate.

Unfortunately if the FOSS world builds it, it never seems to get out of beta, and probably requires command line access. Still, it beats post-it notes.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But who manages

the password managers?

6. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Happy

Just use something like Enpass. It stays on your computer.

1. fidodogbreath

Sticky Password lets you choose between using a local share that you control or their cloud for syncing between devices.

7. bittenhand

KeePass

An upvote for KeePass that I've used for years - open source, uses a local encrypted file and not tied to any service. To unlock the vault can just be a master password, but it can also require access to a specified file, perhaps on a remote USB stick for extra security.

It runs on on all desktop OSs and there's an app for Android, not sure about iOS. On Android it can auto fill if required and makes it easy to copy and paste if not.

I chose to share my password file on Dropbox to keep the versions on the phone and desktop in sync - yes, that's a security hole I've opened but my choice to balance convenience. I'd use OwnCloud if I had it set up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: KeePass

same been using it for years, I keep a key file on onedrive

2. alexlawriewood

Re: KeePass

+1 for KeePass. I use my Nextcloud to host my database, and then Mac and Android clients for it. Works very nicely. KeePassX (the Android one) has a nice facility for synching with various remote sources.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like