back to article What's that coming over the hill? Is it native Office? Microsoft's flagship arrives on Apple Silicon, but you'll have to wait for Teams

Microsoft is rolling out native Apple silicon versions of its office apps while browser maker Mozilla does the same with its Firefox browser. A Universal build of Microsoft's cash cow Office suite seeped out in preview form back in November. Those who have acquired Apple hardware based on the company's M1 silicon can now get …

1. FordPrefect

Hurrah for the death of Flash!

2. Someone Else Silver badge

Waiting for Teams

Teams, alas, must be run in Rosetta emulation mode for the time being.

And that's a problem how, again?

Waiting for Teams on Apple? To quote the line from the old Beatles song: "You don't know how lucky you are, boys."

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Waiting for Teams

What did they use in the USSR?

1. HausWolf

In Mother Russia, MS Teams use you.

1. DoctorNine

Too easy.

3. Cheshire Cat
    Linux

I wonder when it will land for Linux?

I suspect there might be a looooong wait before MS Office 365 works useably on Linux.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder when it will land for Linux?

@CheshireCat

"I suspect there might be a looooong wait before MS Office 365 works useably on Linux"

This article is about macOs. Not Linux. And why the fuck would you even want to run MSO office on Linux? Are you mad? Or just 10 years old

Cheers… Ishy

2. Jason Hindle

I've no idea what Microsoft's plans for Linux* are (other than possibly slowly morphing Windows into a kind of Linux). The main attractions of Mac, for me, is that it is i) Unix, ii) mainstream on the desktop and iii) capable of doing everything I would want to do in either Linux or Windows in one box.

* Though pretty stupid not to have Office - they're missing out on a subscription revenue stream.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

It works in browsers if you are so inclined.

4. TimMaher Silver badge
      Headmaster

Not 365. That, theoretically, works anywhere there is a browser.

This one is native. I.e. built for the platform.

4. Jason Hindle

Isn't Teams written in the same Electron framework as VS Code?

That should be sometime early next year. However, both work fine on Rosetta. Going through the Microsoft Auto Updater took a couple of attempts to update my Office.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like