back to article Not one, not two, but a trio of hinges to potentially break in OPPO's bendy concept phone

OPPO has shown off its latest concept foldable phone, produced in conjunction with Japanese design studio Nendo, which uses three hinges to create a slider-style effect. The unnamed device – which remains very much not in production – uses its multiple hinges to allow the user to access varying levels of screen real estate, …

1. Tom Chiverton 1

No, they've shown off something knocked up in Lightwave...

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Why?

The original folding phone, the Motorola Razr (the original one from the 2000's), had one advantage - the psychological gratification of snapping the phone shut to end a call.

Modern folding phones are too complicated to do that and their complications are too subject to problems. Plus they add thickness and weight.

OPPO's phone seems to signal that the category has jumped the shark.

1. Julz

Re: Why?

I think pretending to be Capt James T Kirk might also had something to do with it.

1. MJI Silver badge
        Happy

And who tried to flip them open like Kirk as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That was guaranteed to shorten the life even with those hinges.

And yes.

2. Triggerfish

Especially with the funky blue backlights. I wasn't that much into star trek and even I felt like it.

2. Sp0ck

Ahem, the Motorola Startec of 1996 was a flip phone.

1. WonkoTheSane
        Headmaster

Which the designers admitted was based on the Star Trek communicator.

3. sabroni Silver badge

Re: The original folding phone, the Motorola Razr had one advantage

No, there were at least four:

1 When closed it's small enough to fit in a small pocket.

2 Open to answer/close to hang up.

3 Screen protected when phone folded and in pocket.

4 In use the mic is angled at your mouth while the speaker is next to your ear.

3. Phil Kingston

"Most of the vendors are still experimenting with the form factor and trying to figure out how they can actually maximise or create unique value for people, while still justifying the price points,"

And there's the problem. No one asked for folding phones.

1. 0laf

I still think laptop screens and monitors are the future for this. Large screens which you can fold away when not in use or when you only need a 1/3 of the screen estate. They don't need to be touchable either which deals with one of the trickier aspects of this tech currently. Also you don't need such high tolerence hinges or roller options.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Thumb Up

I could definitely see this on a laptop. A small form factor laptop where you can fold out two additonal displays to the side to suddenly have a wide screen monitor with plenty of screen real estate. Bliss! I'd get that in a second.

But on a regular monitor. Nahh. How often have you thought "You know, what I really need now is a smaller monitor?" And apart from in IT departments, how often do you store away monitors? People tend to use monitors until they die. Then throw them away and buy the next biggest one their desk allows. Even within firms it tends to be the same way. Adding hinges to a regular monitor, No I'm afraid i dont see it.

1. 0laf

What I imagine, especially right now with home workers, is a large wide screen (30 or 40") that you can roll up when you're finished with it. so for those folks having to use up a lot of their small living areas with double monitor setups or working on uncomfortably small screens they could roll out their working screen and get the space back at the end of the day.

Or gaming laptops, 10" screen on the commute and a 30" when on a desk.

but I see this using rolled screens rather than hinged

1. WonkoTheSane

Last year, LG announced a 65" roll up TV, but it sells for $60k.

2. I am the liquor

Laptop with fold-out display

Ooh! Pair that with a Thinkpad 701 butterfly keyboard and you'd really have something. Suit you sir!

3. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

12" all-screen foldable laptop that uses the bottom half as keyboard/touchpad and top half as screen, but when you need more real estate fold it flat and pair with a Bluetooth keyboard to give you a 17" screen. Yum. Would have one in a heartbeat.

4. marcellothearcane

That exists

I present Project Valerie by Razer:

https://www2.razer.com/project-valerie

"Immersive gaming has never been more portable. Introducing Project Valerie, the world’s first automated triple display laptop. Constructed to be incredibly powerful yet mobile, this revolutionary laptop gives you easy access to three eye-popping 4K displays."

1. lglethal Silver badge
            Go

Re: That exists

It seems it never got past being a test project, but dang I would totally have loved that for work in the past (ok depending a little on the weight to lug it around).

Apparently a used test one got put up for sale on a chinese equivalent of Ebay for around €20k. Sorry, not quite worth that for me...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They want bigger screens in smaller cases

True, they didn't ask for it, but they do want ever bigger screens in ever smaller form factors. You can only shrink the bezels to zero and then where do you go?

It's a pity Microsoft didn't get the Surface Duo right. Stuff like "Tent mode" instead of getting that gap down to zero when unfolded. Worse, they even cut out the slot from the pixels, so any text or graphics in the middle of the hinge disappears to make the screen sort of look normal but at the expense of actual usage.

Also Microsoft, the upper and lower bezels are way too big and defeat the whole purpose of big screen in small form factor, the hinges should be hidden and colored to merge into the device. They should redo the hinge to abut the two screens with edge-wraparound screens so the screens merge visually when opened, and the device should never open beyond its flat screen mode.

Never mind, we should wait till Apple or Samsung or Huawei gets it right and then copy that.

I won't hold my breath for Microsoft, they give in early. That device won't sell so they'll kill it rather than keep trying.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Good grief

Has there ever been an article published on here that doesn't have a comment moaning about Microsoft on it?

Foldable screens? You know who's really responsible for all the problems with that technology?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like