back to article New t-shirt slogan: 'My job was outsourced to an Indian company that moved it to Vietnam'

Indian IT services giant HCL has gone in search of 3,000 staff who can serve its global clients from Vietnam. The company plans to create a “delivery centre” in Vietnam’s capital city Hanoi and aims to deliver services across banking and financial services, healthcare, infrastructure, engineering, and cybersecurity. HCL’s …

1. NiceCuppaTea

Those pesky indians

Those pesky indian call centre staff have obviously started to unionise and ask for enough money to feed themselves how dare they! Best see if we can exploit someone else!

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Those pesky indians

@NiceCuppaTea

If thats true then we can only assume they are actually earning more than standing in a field starving. Which would be due to trade and globalisation. Which suggests they are getting richer by doing business with richer places and globally that would be pulling people up instead of crushing them down.

China seems to have done well out of such approach recently. I expect there are a lot of people starving in actual poverty only hoping to be exploited like this.

2. onemark03

Re: Those pesky indians

Eee, when I were a lad, we DREAMED of earning wages like that!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be careful Vietnam

I've seen the result of an Indian outsourcing company doing this with another east Asian country. Dealing with the people from that other country was infinitely better than dealing with their Indian counterparts as their English was much better (i.e. understandable), and they actually had integrity, common sense, and the ability to fess up on mistakes. Of course that just wouldn't do, so the Indians just shafted them and shifted the blame for all their cockups and ineptness to these staff from the other country and got them dumped. It was really ugly and just exemplified exactly what you're dealing with with these Indian outsourcing companies.

I hope some of these countries start to set up their own outsourcing companies and provide some competition with India because IT would benefit hugely from that. I'm not a huge advocate of outsourcing to be honest, but it would be beneficial to have some choice besides India.

1. SecretSonOfHG

Re: Be careful Vietnam

In my experience, the level of honesty, integrity and common sense is more a matter of company culture than country of origin. I've worked with outsourced resources that ranged from absolute dishonest and self-serving to ones that really cared about their customers. All from India.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Be careful Vietnam

Yes you're probably right. Certainly within a number of outsourcing companies I've dealt with from India there are some excellent individuals, and in most cases dealing with any of the individuals on a personal non-work basis is fine. But as you say there seems to be a negative company culture in some cases where everything is politicised and no one is able to behave in an honest or transparent way, which makes it very hard work to deal with them. You can sense in some of the individuals that it is against their nature to behave that way but they have no choice. Maybe it's just certain account managers that create this atmosphere, or even our own companies way of dealing with them, I don't know.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

IT services companies: there aren't people we can exploit worldwide.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ipsos custodes custodiat, or something

So we trust our banks (honest, we do!) to look after our money and lots of personal information (address, employment details, purchase history, etc)

Our banks trust their IT departments.

Their IT departments trust the Indian outsourcing companies.

The Indian outsourcing companies now seem to want to had over everything to yet another distant layer of random people.

What could possibly go wrong?

1. Julz

Re: Ipsos custodes custodiat, or something

Welcome to the Wonderful World Of Capitalism TM and the inevitable race to the lowest cost and bugger the consequences. Remember the heady days of the 80's when quality was still a thing. Admittedly, it was quality as in 'good enough' and not as you might hope, but at least it was there in the thoughts of those in charge of the bottom line. Oh, the good old days ;)

1. codejunky Silver badge

@Julz

"Welcome to the Wonderful World Of Capitalism TM and the inevitable race to the lowest cost and bugger the consequences"

Actually I think the consequences are the aim. Such as we are all richer than any time in history and globally going through the greatest reduction in absolute poverty. I still wonder why some people are against that.

"Remember the heady days of the 80's when quality was still a thing Remember the heady days of the 80's when quality was still a thing"

Some good stuff. Even some stuff before that too! Old reliable that you could trust to still be working now. But thats not much use to the people who cant afford it so now we have the choice of buying cheap or reliable. Its those who want their cake and eat it who typically complain.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark Exclamation

"Remember the heady days of the 80's when quality was still a thing." - Indeed. That was until they moved manufacturing to China. The rest is history.

1. Aseries

Quality probably improved.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Happy yet, Reg?

It's ok, Biden 'won' the US election, so now Orange Man Bad has gone, everything will be sunshine and rainbows, right snowflakes? The dead, that rose from their graves to vote in their thousands, have no complaints, after all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Happy yet, Reg?

Get back to Twitter Donald.

Where trolls are trolls and idiots are obvious.

2. kat_bg

Re: Happy yet, Reg?

Dude, you only spill the same bullshit as Donald and the conservative media. If he has proof of the so call "steal" why not present it in court? Why is so difficult?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like