back to article Rogue ex-Cisco employee who crippled WebEx conferences and cost Cisco millions gets two years in US prison

A former Cisco employee who went medieval on his former employer and cost the company millions, has been sentenced to two years in prison and a $15,000 fine. Sudhish Kasaba Ramesh was employed by Switchzilla for less than two years but left in April 2018. Five months later he used access credentials to get back into Cisco's …

1. Joe Drunk
    Facepalm

I wouldn't trust Cisco to secure my cookie jar

How does an ex-employee still have log-in access after 5 months?

I hope those of you still using Cisco gear for your secure infrastructure will re-evaluate and consider other vendors.

1. sanmigueelbeer
      FAIL

Re: I wouldn't trust Cisco to secure my cookie jar

I can't agree more.

Sudhish Kasaba Ramesh may have gotten two years but Sudhish's managers, and the ones above them, needs to get fired.

I am not sure which icon to choose -- WTF or Fail because either one (or both) is really appropriate.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      WTF?

"Five months later he used access credentials to get back into Cisco's systems "

Icon says it all.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Sudhish Kasaba Ramesh

Someone who will never again get any job with admin credentials anywhere in the Northern hemisphere.

I don't care that his login was still available five months later. It's not because a door is open that you have the right to steal private property.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Sudhish Kasaba Ramesh

And all things considered, he got off pretty lightly too. The claimed damages to a great red-blooded American corporation is high compared to the punishment. I'd have expected the US justice system to have imposed at least two consecutive life sentences for that! :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If in Texas, the chair.

Hey, maybe that's the real reason why all the corporate hq's are moving there. Give anyone that screws them over the chair.

1. Symon
          Headmaster

"in Texas, the chair"

No.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/executions/methods-of-execution/authorized-methods-by-state

"Texas Lethal injection is the sole method. "

HTH.

2. Danny 2

It's criminal that the account was left open, and someone still in Cisco should be arrested for that negligence. It's not as if he was a criminal mastermind:

In a sentencing memorandum filed last week, federal prosecutors said Ramesh made little attempt to cover his tracks.

“The government is perplexed on how the defendant — a highly intelligent individual — could have left a trail of bread crumbs that (led) the FBI to determine that he was responsible for the deletion of Cisco’s servers on AWS,” U.S. attorneys David L. Anderson, Hallie Hoffman and Susan Knight wrote in the memo. “He did not use a proxy internet service to hide his identity, registered his Google Cloud Platform account with his email address and American Express card and launched the attack from his work computer.”

An FBI agent who searched Ramesh’s work computer found Google searches for information on AWS servers and how to delete servers, which prosecutors said suggests that Ramesh “possibly did not realize that he was accessing a live production environment.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2020/12/09/former-cisco-engineer-prison.html

1. Aitor 1

So he got a big discount on the years for being incompetent?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Hell, I've seen people get raises for being incompetent.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That's because the pay-rise usually comes hand in hand with promotion. You have to be really incompetent to get to the top.... at least where I work anyway.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
            Facepalm

More often it's a promotion.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Really?

> Hell, I've seen people get raises for being incompetent.

I didn't know we had met.

2. Bitsminer Silver badge

Perhaps he actually knew he was leaving a trail, and was actually attempting to prove a security flaw.

He did get a "bug" bounty. But not cash, just two years at the free hotel.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Pascal Monett

"It's not because a door is open that you have the right to steal private property."

Indeed, but companies' claims for being secure are specious if they don't implement adequate cybersecurity measures, rather than treat fines as a cost of doing business.

For instance, the (onerous) GDPR penalties are paid by the negligent, not the hacker (who gets prison if caught), primarily to force companies to take security seriously.

3. Alex Read

He still had his account, remote access AND all his (deletion rights). The accounts & VMs can't have had easily restorable, TESTED backups. Yes, this guy was a tit & deserves jail time, but FFS in this age where we read a new breach every few days, aren't Cisco meant to be both providing solutions & advising how to secure networks???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do as I say, not as I do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Deserves jail time? Jail time should be reserved for those who are a danger to society, or where every other option has been exhausted. Some twonk who logged into a system they were not entitled to does not fall under that. 2 years is going to cost somewhere north of $100,000. Pointless waste of money.

4. mevets

Crippled Webex?

Who could possibly have noticed? Cisco's malware has been a blight on the remote worker for over a decade. I remember having an old laptop, network isolated in the corner just for webex meetings forever ago. What could this sad sack have possibly done to make it worse or less secure. It is a POS that thankfully has been driven out to the margins. Apparently blackberry still use it. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Crippled Webex?

> I remember having an old laptop, network isolated in the corner just for webex meetings forever ago

At my company all "remote" meetings are conference calls via POTS. The day that computer video calling is as easy as sending an email, and not less insecure, we'll talk.

Besides, seeing ugly faces of bored people on a screen kind of puts me in a worse mood than usual.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Crippled Webex?

What about the $M in productivity he added to the economy by stopping 'all hands' WebEx meetings?

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

big fail all around

There is enough of the failure sandwich to fill a lot of mouths in this case. I'm not sure where to start serving... HR policy? IT Security?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it me?

Or is it always the same judge names that keep popping up?

7. IGotOut Silver badge
    FAIL

Hey Cisco.

Apparently, there is a magic cloud-based system that secures all your network, including VPNs, from an easy to use web interface. I know it's amazing, the salesman told me so.

Check them out, believe they are called Meraki...or something like that.

8. You aint sin me, roit
    Trollface

Wannabe Cisco hackers...

Hacking 101, find a disgruntled ex-employee. Their login credentials are good for at least 6 months and come with full delete rights.

Don't bother using a proxy or anything clever like that, just tell em to leave the country sharpish.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like