back to article IT workers join elite sports stars, fat cat biz execs, celebs and posties for special treatment under England's COVID-19 travel isolation rules

IT pros have joined the elite of high-flying biz execs, sports stars, and celebrity actors in qualifying for UK.gov's exemptions to two-week Covid-19 self-isolation rules when returning to England from listed at-risk nations. As of 15 December, those who meet the criteria in almost 60 areas can arrange a private coronavirus …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These are the new rules?

I'm sure the rules allowing certain people the freedom to not self-isolate have been in place since early April. The current rules for data infrastructure maintenance personnel are:

People involved in essential maintenance and repair of data infrastructure required to reduce and resolve outages, or in the provision of goods and services to support these activities. You will need to complete the passenger locator form before you travel to the UK.

You will NOT need to self-isolate.

So according the El Reg, the rules after 2020-12-15 are that you can now take a test, to shorten your non-existent curfew.

The only recent change I'm aware of is the one that controversially lets in business travelers who promise jobs and money.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Emergency or not?

Ask most customers and I'm sure they'd swear on oath that every support request they raise is an "Emergency", especially when it relates to email or printing. :)

3. Dr. Vagmeister

No Isolation for Special People or Elites ???

I read the Government website and i am still unsure of the details, so here is the moan :

The website indicates that some professions are wholly exempt from isolation when they arrive in the UK.

So it is possible when you arrive in the UK, do not need to self isolate, that you are a super spreader, infect many people who subsequently die, all sanctioned by the UK Government ?.

Does the virus know who to, and not to, infect ?

Is this UK Government sanctioned manslaughter ?

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Re: No Isolation for Special People or Elites ???

Professional sportsmen are taking measures to avoid the virus such as bubbles and regular testing.

If somebody is coming to the country to take part in a significant business deal which will provide employment, it is worth the minuscule risk.

1. hoola Silver badge

"Significant business deal" implies that just because money is at stake it takes priority over health. What about the meetings these "business people" have with others? If there is an outbreak they are all to blame. I get fairly pissed off with these people who, for whatever reason that the think is legitimate, they are allowed to break the rules or face no consequences for being found out (in some cases repeatedly).

Just because it is a "significant deal" does not mean it cannot be done over video or in a COVID secure way. It it is repairing equipment then I would equally expect it to be done with appropriate risk assessments and protective measures in place.

We are not in the situation like Chernobyl or Fukushima where people, usually at the other end of the pay scale get told or chose to put themselves at significant risk of death for the greater benefit of everyone else.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Significant business deal" implies that just because money is at stake it takes priority over health.

Money might be at stake. So might jobs. As things stand that's no small consideration from the public interest point of view.

2. Dr. Vagmeister

I believe the UK Government has a duty of care for everyone, equally, and should not sacrifice other peoples lives for the illusion that travelling is important for making a deal.

If they travel abroad for a deal, the work is done abroad, so coming back into the UK they can self isolate as required by every other person.

It is a sick elitist law that shows the current UK Governments thinking - we are expendable at the elites personal freedom, which we cannot have.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Knock that chip off your shoulder.

It's about trying to increase employment so that people without jobs can have one.

1. Dr. Vagmeister

There is no chip on my shoulder.

No one in this country is expendable.

1. TheMeerkat

Some people are more important than you. Live with it.

If someone puts millions of investments but wants to see what they are buying with their own eyes, you can’t tell them “do it over zoom”.

1. Dr. Vagmeister

No other person has the right to infect another person, where that infection can cause the persons death.

No one is ever more important than another.

2. ICL1900-G3

No it's not. It's about making money.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If they travel abroad for a deal, the work is done abroad, so coming back into the UK they can self isolate as required by every other person."

And for that matter, why special rules for certain people "if they pay for a test" to reduce self-isolation to 5 day? Why can't that apply to everyone?

1. Triggerfish

Recently in Saigon an airline steward went through 2 tests and came out negative and then went into 5 days isolation and then self isolation at home, it turns out they actually were positive, they were visited during the isolation at home and this has caused some cases.

So 5 days may not be enough.

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/20201202/ho-chi-minh-city-authorities-shut-down-vietnam-airlines-quarantine-center/58067.html

3. DavCrav

"Professional sportsmen are taking measures to avoid the virus such as bubbles and regular testing."

Then why do so many of them seem to be getting it?

1. Slef

Given the protocols that players and support staff are taking, yet still getting Covid; is it really a good idea to give (predominately rich) peeps exemptions when they are not required to take the same precautions?

4. Triggerfish

Where I am at the moment, if you are coming in for a significant business deal then you are still quarantined for 2 weeks and then a further 2 weeks self isolation. You also have to take the tests and be negative before flying etc.

Then again we have all been allowed to go to the pub and do normal things for most of the year and generally speaking the economy is in less of a shambles because of this, plus only a few people have died. I think I prefer this option TBH.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rudy Giuliani ~ 3/4 weeks?

Sounds a bit like wishful thinking. How sure exactly are they that you can detect this in 5 days?

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1971559/two-thais-test-positive-for-covid-after-quarantine?cx_placement=underbox

"The second woman returned to Thailand on June 24 and stayed in state quarantine for 14 days, when two lab tests indicated she had no virus, so she went home to Loei. The woman drove to Bangkok on Sunday and visited the hospital at midday to get her Covid-19 health certificate allowing her to work overseas -- but this time her test was positive. "

Even Rudy Giulliani, newly found to have Covid19 had some very suspicious profuse sweating (the hair dye running down his face incident) ~20th November, 3-4 weeks before he tested positive and developed symptoms.

As good Christians, I'm sure the Radical Right Republicans will "do unto others" and take away Giulliani's healthcare, kick him out of the hospital. It's how he would want it. Thoughts and prayers Rudy.... not healthcare, just thoughts and prayers. I also assume this means a lot of his Russian military intelligence friends will need testing too.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Republican health care

You have misunderstood how Republican health care is supposed to work. Rich people get proper treatment. Anyone else can go straight to heaven.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

God will save him, all he needs to do is go find a televangelist to "blow away" the virus!

Perhaps if he visits churches using the new Supreme Court ruling (courtesy of Amy Cohen Barrett), he can go and those pesky health chiefs cannot stop him! The worshipers can thank Amy for defending *his* freedom to attend church services in person and infect *them* with *his* deadly highly infectious disease. "Thank you Amy!"

Next year, Trump will try to undermine the vaccine rollout and keep trying to spreading via his Fox News supporters. He'll pretend he's the Republican Shadow President, he'll be there everyday on Fox News pretending to be the leader of the Republicans, he'll siphon off *their* PAC contributions to *his* PAC and undermine the RNC independence.

"Vaccines are poison, I saved you from it, I was holding back that poison, now your kids will get Coronavirus from the vaccine!" Trump will say.

For the 2024 election they won't be allowed to have primaries, they'll be forced to auto select him as their presidential candidate, because they've made it appear as if he's their boss by cowering to him. He will then lose the 2024 election as-well taking them with him.

They should really come out strongly now, work with the Democrats and stop him gutting the military bases abroad. Stop his quid pro quo to Putin. Then he'll be finished, they'll be shot of him already. They can promote the vaccines, and recover some credibility, to have a new candidate in 2024 and a chance at winning.

Otherwise he'll make them his bitch and they'll lose again and again and again.

1. Korev Silver badge
          Unhappy

I really hope you're wrong AC, but I fear you're right

5. big_D Silver badge
    Facepalm

Because Corona just ignores emergencies...

Wow, just wow. VIPs and emergency personnel don't get Corona? What does that make Boris? Head clown?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It works!!

Not sure this is news, as I used this very policy to return from France in September after a Family Holiday and October after Half Term.

There have to be some benefits of being a self employed IT bod!

But now everybody knows I'm sure they'll remove it.

As long as they don't tin the business lunch exemption as I've issued all my friends a 0 hours contract for a Christmas works do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It works!!

We are having a business meeting next week - the pub have been asked to put a flip chart at the end of the table!

7. Scott Broukell

2020 - Who is on top of the tree this year

Ladies and gentlemen as we depart and bank onto a heading that will ultimately take us to our luxury destination in the middle east, you can look out of the starboard windows and gaze down upon all the tiny little ordinary folk of the city as they go about their lives as; bus drivers, shop workers, medical staff, food processors, postmen (and women), street cleaners and fulfilment-centre pickers/packers. See how many of them are queued in the car park of the shopping centre, desperately trying to get the very latest, over-priced, electronic gadget for family members (because every single unit sold out on-line within an hour, over a month ago!), or just any old plastic shit that will do! - which has most probably been produced by some of the companies in which you invest ladies and gentlemen and will ahve been shipped more than halfway around the world, burning hundreds of tons of low quality, high sulphur, bunker fuel! (perhaps some of you are invested in oil ladies and gentlemen?).

See how they stand in those shopping centre queues, their face masks sodden with condensation and warm breath in the chill winter air (providing veritable Petri-dish conditions for any viral / bacterial particles that should land on them!). See how they shuffle forward in a snaking line, trying to avoid contact between themselves and yet compelled, by the coercive force of social media adverts, to grab all the wondrous Xmas goodies that are on offer. They will feel less of themselves if they can't get any of those shiny, shiny things! They will feel that they will be scorned and looked down upon by others on social media if they can't live up to the life style messaging that they constantly receive multiple times every day of their miserable lives! (perhaps some of you are invested in advertising?). Perhaps some of those folk down there assembled / upholstered the first-class seats that you are currently reclining in, perhaps some of them cooked the food you are about to be served with. Perhaps some had to make yet another 50-mile daily commute, in trepidation of contracting Covid-19 on public transport, in order to service this very aeroplane yesterday!

But let us rise above all this tedious quotidian reality and climb to a cruising altitude of 28,000 feet for the next eight hours and just sit back and enjoy the in-flight entertainment, the haute cuisine and the best possible wine list from the very best vineyards of the world. For this plane is funded by and brought to you by money-makers and job-creators and by folk who seldom if ever wonder about the lives of the very ordinary people who; work for them, buy their products and distribute the same product, both on a local and global scale.

So as those tiny folk recede from view ladies and gentlemen, how much does it really matter that they too have bills to pay and jobs to desperately hang on to and food to put on the table, after all, they are only small bills and small tables.

There maybe Covid-19 for many to worry about, but the world just keeps on turning and money doesn't multiply all by itself you know!

(:IF Var ="probablyfeeling_theStress_from_months of this_interminable_freekin virus and the way it magnifies_social_iniquity globally"=True, Then Probably best to finish here init)

<rant over>

8. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Trollface

Omission

An a serious omission at that. There is no "The Prime Minister's Father/Chum/Special Advisor (former)" category. Never mind, I'm sure they will at the very least abide by the spirit of the rules

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Omission

We'll keep a lookout for odd Cummings and goings...

9. fluffymitten

That section quoted around IT workers isn't new. It was there from the start.

The new section is about directors bringing in new business and sports persons etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like