back to article Uber sends its self-driving cars on a road to nowhere, with indefinite stop at automated truck aspirant Aurora

Uber has driven its self-driving car operation up an off-ramp that leads to the offices of a startup named Aurora that is building self-driving trucks and plans to eventually get around to the kind of vehicles used by Uber drivers. News of the exit came in a statement posted to both Uber’s and Aurora’s websites, opening with “ …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Uber's Financial Plan

Up to now, it seemed Uber's financial plan to profitability was to eliminate driver salaries from its ride-sharing service. How's it going to achieve profits now?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uber's Financial Plan

Why would they need to make any profit, most of these startup billion dollar companies don't. The owners are rich, why do they care if the company makes no money. Its not their money they are losing.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Because the people lending the tech companies massive amounts of money to eliminate all of the competition in the market by offering their services at a price less than the market price do expect that at some point they will make that (and more) money back somehow.

If they come to the conclusion it ain't happenning then they stop lending them money, at which point Uber has to operate off of their own income, rather than off of "loans". Which in turn means that offering a taxi service at a loss (of multiple billions a quarter) is no longer viable and they have to put their prices up to around the same level as everybody else in the market, which means they are no longer the cheapest thing around and they promptly get eaten alive by real competition.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

By the time that logical conclusion is reached the execs will have put enough of their earnings aside to maintain their lifestyles for the foreseeable future and/or moved on somewhere else.

2. juice

I have to admit, I did think their business plan was somewhat inspired by South Park:

1) Spend vast amounts of money stealing underp^H subsidising taxi rides to drive all other taxi companies out of business

2) Develop AI taxis so they could fire all their drivers. Which wouldn't cost anything as the drivers are all "self employed"

3) Monopoly Profit!

If they've had to even partially abandon step 2), that leaves them with large amounts of debt and a lower chance of paying it off.

Admittedly, as other people have perhaps cynically noted, the execs of the company have no doubt already cashed out as much as they can.

But it does make me wonder if Uber itself will still be around, this time next year...

2. RobLang

Uber has near-term vision but...

...self driving is still a long way off and companies like Uber don't have the stomach like the other big tech firms do. This sell off makes sense, they can benefit from the tech when it is ready - and society is ready.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Uber has near-term vision but...

It could be realisation that a long way off is where it will stay.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Uber has near-term vision but...

It's not really a sell-off though. They've bought a share in a self-driving company and used cash and their own self-driving operation to pay for it. So actually they're doing double or quits, but presumably recognising they don't have the cash to go it alone - so have chucked what they can into the pot and now it's time to hope-like-hell. Which really ought to be be Uber's motto.

Although weirdly they may actually now have a way to eventually make a profit. Not because of the taxis but from Uber eats. Which as I understand it now isn't loss-making everywhere, unlike Uber taxis are.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self driving?

Even self stopping is a nightmare. A company I worked for had to design an independent system to bring the car to a safe stop in the event of a failure, ensuring it wasn't in the middle of an active carriageway. Even that was at the very limit of what is currently possible.

1. Chris G

Re: Self driving?

Fully autonomous self driving cars will be a thing around the same time I get a fully functioning Robo-butler™.

There would be more chances to achieve driverless cars with all vehicles under a central control that was glitch free, even that is not currently achievable and likely not very appealing to most people.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
        Joke

There would be more chances to achieve driverless cars with all vehicles under a central control that was glitch free, even that is not currently achievable and likely not very appealing to most people.

I believe it's called a train.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: around the same time I get a fully functioning Robo-butler™

Oh, so you mean the same time we finally have fusion ?

1. Muscleguy

Fusion has been 50 years away the whole of my lifetime. I’ve just turned 55 so we’ve had fusion for 5 years now yipee! Except it’s still 50 years off. Unless the researchers want funding for their latest test rigs then it’s closer. But only temporarily.

The idea of Deep Thought and then The Earth is unrealistically naive. The development cascade was extremely heavily shortened for narrative reasons. Obviously.

2. Claptrap314 Silver badge

We will have fusion well before we have fully autonomous vehicles which are not security nightmares.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

all vehicles under a central control

"Yes, this is 20 miles from the destination you selected but it optimises the overall traffic distribution."

4. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Assuming you ignore the security issues, yes.

Taking them into account? We're decades away from that.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Tesla would probably take issue with that.

Their (limited) self driving is extremely capable at what it does.

For those with a disability that limits their driving even lower levels of assistance can be game changing.

My current vehicle has basic lane keeping and ACC, which more than doubles the amount of driving I can do in a day (I couldn't do more than two hours in ideal conditions before, I can do more than four now).

Even if we just had "sliproad to sliproad" autonomy that would effectively given everyone a better drive on motorways, and have less tired people when they get to the little roads.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Even if we just had "sliproad to sliproad" autonomy that would effectively given everyone a better drive on motorways, and have less tired people when they get to the little roads."

This is why so many of us here have been saying self-driving trucks on the motorways travelling depot to depot only are what should be the first target of public road autonomous vehicles, as the article intimated. And that's going to be a tough hurdle to jump as it is.

1. John Robson Silver badge

I don't think it's that tough a hurdle.

Tesla might be the only people collecting enough data to do it in a reasonable time frame though. My understanding is that autopilot is *always* running, and when the driver does something unexpected then. it flags that up for analysis/review. They have a significant number of miles driven, and an even greater number of miles "shoulder surfed".

4. Mike 137 Silver badge

The next step?

How about developing a riderless bicycle?

1. Chris G

Re: The next step?

Will I be able to send it out for pizza?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Like this?

3. macjules

Even better would be a bicycle-less cyclist*. Doesn't yell at pedestrians when they try to cross the road, tends not to dress like a demented canary and doesn't hog the road while screaming about its "rights" at any other road user.

* Also known as a jogger.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

I'm still waiting for my riderless horse...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like