back to article Japan sticks the landing: Asteroid sample recovered from Hayabusa2 probe

Japanese and Australian astroboffins have successfully recovered samples taken from Asteroid Ryugu by the Hayabusa2 probe. Hayabusa2 has had quite a ride and has more adventures ahead of it. The probe launched in 2014 and spent three-and-a-half years travelling to near-Earth asteroid 162173 Ryugu, which has a diameter of …

1. Brett Weaver

Fantastic! (meaning wonderful)

What a great story to read. Co-operation between nations. Hard science. Stuff that has not been done before, lights in the sky..

Fantastic! Bring on more of these!

I could be boring and say how the automation is delivering neat stuff to Earth based systems.. But thats not so important as the success of the mission, however wrought!

I love the fact that its going on for another 10 years too!

Well done all the folks involved.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Fantastic! (meaning wonderful)

There's a cool Japanese film about the original Hayabusa. Might be worth a watch if you can find it?

2. Joe W Silver badge
    Alien

Trepidation....

On that continent everything is out there to get you. As one remarked the non-dangerous animals are "some of the sheep". A mutated space blob leaping out would be about par for the course.

Joking aside: They were walking through grass, which I was told by my host down under to avoid, lest I get bitten and die. Horribly. Alone. This was not as stern a talking to as the "not touching stuff under water or picking up beautiful snail shells on the beach"-talk. All with gruesome facts about venomous wildlife, the type of venoms, and how you die. Horribly. Alone. (*shudders*). Still some of the best weeks of my life!

1. Kingbob

Re: Trepidation....

A mutated space blob probably did leap out... just that the local dangerous animals got to it first!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Rumor has it, due to a mis-estimation of scale, the blob was eaten by a small dog.

2. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Hey in that area you only need to worry about the Inland Taipan (worlds deadliest snake), the King Brown (untreated mortality rate of about 40%), the Western Brown ((untreated mortality rate of about 20%), and the Death Adder (untreated mortality rate of about 60%).

So nothing much to worry about...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

"Death Adder"!!!!!!

When Australians call something that you know they aren't messing around

2. Aussie Doc
        Pint

Yeah but at least there were no crocs.

They're just plain evil bastards.

Mind you, that could be because the friggin' drop bears ate them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Dagg Silver badge

Yep

You gotta watch out for mutated drop bears...

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

Enquiring minds want to know:

Did it bring some vacuum back with it? And if so, is it better vacuum than that Chinese takeaway vacuum hoovered up from the moon?

The airtight one, obvs. -->

5. Silverburn

Good timing...

... I watched the Andromeda strain last night.

Now I know what happens next.

6. Silverburn

Sample contamination?

I should read up on how the sample integrity is maintained. From the cold of space through a very hot re-entry, will the sample not be cooked/contaminated?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Sample contamination?

They simply use the same tech as is involved in microwave dinners. Thats why, no matter how long you microwave them, the outside can be the temperature of a small sun, but the inside will remain resolutley frozen.

Perfect for maintaining the sample integrity of the interior...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sample contamination?

Well, I think the same trick that keeps astronauts alive will probably work OK here. You likely can't keep it at some very low temperature, but assuming the surface of the asteroid was sometimes Sun-facing it's not been at very cold temperatures, and if the asteroid is rotating (which it likely is!) then it's also used to very large temperature swings.

7. MatsSvensson

Life

...was on TV last night.

=0

8. Korev Silver badge
    Boffin

Protective gear?

What hazards were the protective gear for? Was it just extreme heat after re-entry or something more than that?

1. Dave Pickles

Re: Protective gear?

Unfired pyrotechnics? Unused thruster propellant?

1. lglethal Silver badge

Snakes, spiders, scorpions, devil wombats (as per the El Reg article of the same name), kangaroos, drop bears, ...

2. DJO Silver badge

In reference to the Australian bush you ask "what hazards"?

There's someone who does not get out much.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

> There's someone who does not get out much.

To be fair, I live in Switzerland so the biggest threat to me is cheese overdose

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think it was un-set-off pyrotechnics.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That would make sense. On some other website, the workers looked like they were dressed in something just below that of bomb squad technician.

9. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

2030? Will it take the Andromeda Strain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Andromeda_Strain

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Everything about this is so cool

So, they've retrieved a chunk of an asteroid and returned it to Earth intact. But that's not enough, oh no, they have some spare fuel left so they're planning at least another ten years of mission for the parent spacecraft. Because why not?

Everything about space exploration is wonderful (possible exception of certain annoying rich people who think its just fine to dump thousands of bright spacecraft in the sky to annoy astronomers because money).

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Everything about this is so cool

You think that's impressive, go look up the original Hayabusa probe! Despite practically everything going wrong, they still managed to return a useful sample.

2. Palpy

Re: 10 years for more science, and --

-- Voyager, 40 years out, has detected new phenomena as well: electrons accelerated to near-light-speed by solar shockwaves. https://sciencecodex.com/voyager-spacecraft-detect-new-type-solar-electron-burst-662450.

Humans may be trashing our world so thoroughly that high civilization will no longer be possible, but Voyager is bound for the stars.

11. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Woomera Prohibited Area.

What are Woomeras and what is so dangerous about them that they have to be prohibited from the area?

Or is this are prohibited because it contains Woomeras ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Re: Woomera Prohibited Area.

I believe the origin of the term is that the area was prohibited during the Woom era. Herr Doktor Woom, pronounced 'Voom' or 'Foom' as he was, of course, German, was a now-largely-forgotten rocket scientist who was acquired by the allies at the end of the war in the usual rather murky circumstances, and despite certain unfortunate events in his recent past. Unfortunately it seems he was selected mostly on the basis of a confusion about his name: a government paper which I have seen makes it very clear that certain high-ranking ministers believed that 'Voom' was a nickname, and were very keen on the fabled 'Dr Voom' because, well, because things that go Voom was something they were rather keen on. It is not quite clear why his colleague, Dr Boom, was not also taken on.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

A woomera is a way of launching a spear considerably further than one could unaided. You can sort of think of it as a booster :)

1. very angry man

this area was were the f@#k'n Poms tested atom bombs in the 50's and 60;s killing to local population, of anything living for the next ? years

3. Spherical Cow Silver badge

A woomera is a specially carved stick used for spear throwing. The back end of the spear is cupped by the back end of the woomera, you hold the front end of the woomera with the spear pointing forward and passing over your hand. When you throw, the woomera acts as an extension of your arm, thus increasing the speed and force of the spear.

The Aztecs used a similar wooden device, the Romans used a leather thong for the same purpose, and modern dog-walkers use a plastic version for throwing tennis balls.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

p.s. the Romans' leather thong was less efficient as it only worked for the initial pull part of the throw, whereas a solid woomera works for both the pull and push parts of the throw.

12. Falmari Silver badge

Disappointed

I was looking forward to an article on a new Suzuki superbike.

Seriously though really interesting article.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Disappointed

Which is called that because it's the name of a hawk that eats blackbirds, after Honda called their bike blackbird after the SR71

1. Falmari Silver badge

Re: Disappointed

I have to admit I never knew that

13. Aussie Doc
    Pint

Optional neat title here

Here's to the dudes collecting the tat in the middle of our Aussie native fauna and flora without being eaten.

14. imanidiot Silver badge
    Pint

Congrats to the JAXA team that made it happen

One of those is in order ->

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon