back to article Wireless screen in estate agent window just begging for someone to fill it with mischief

An opportunity presents itself in today's column of bork to inject some honesty into a local estate agency thanks to a screen that is begging for a bit of casting. Hard though it may be to believe, there is a lot of bork in the world. Screens of blue or burger-splattered signage are all too familiar. Often there is little one …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

A Life Of Grime

RIP Mr. Trebus.

The special they ran about Mr. Trebus' after his passing away was excellent.

1. aidanstevens

Re: A Life Of Grime

I'll never forget the joy he derived from his musical lighter.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wireless Display

Usually you also have to be on the same network, which means logging into the network and getting an IP address. Otherwise, I'd be hitting all the wireless displays wherever I see them. I tried with a display in a fish and chip shop - but it wouldn't let me connect.

1. Must contain letters
      Coat

Re: Wireless Display

So just another phishing expedition?

1. Alister

You cod have tried harder

1. Coastal cutie

They seem to be floundering here.....

2. Blofeld's Cat

Or mackerel effort and put some sole into it ...

2. llaryllama

That joke should get you a battering

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

You'll need a Sailfish device.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

And a haddocking station

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Pint

This comment seems to be click baitter.

1. Blofeld's Cat

No, it's a true dory ...

3. Mage Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: same network

Not so if you can see the screen and have the IR remote. Though some use BT too or instead.

Depends on the model.

Same with BT keyboard pairing. If the victim goes to loo or stares at some handsome hulk / pretty person, use the opera glasses to read the 4 digits popping up on the screen when you pair. Oddly nothing needed pressed on one Android tablet I tried. The 4 digits had to be typed on the new keyboard to complete pairing.

I always have my laptop BT off, except if testing some BT device.

4. Medical Cynic

What chipset did you order?

3. ElNumbre
    Devil

Fun with Mira and Cast

Oh, a new jape opportunity I'd not considered before.

1) Get a universal remote, programmed to the type of digital signage in the window

2) Switch the input to Miracast

3) Profit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Early "Computer" Misuse Acts

In the early 80's I used to take my Fergusson TV remote to the pub (his allowed me to change their TV from my stool - and on the way home change all the TVs in the Radio Rentals window. It seemed like fun at the time - calling up Teletext pages etc. But in those days stations went off air in the early hours and it was all back to normal the next day.

4. Mage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Peer mode

If you can see the screen and have a remote for some TVs:

You can enable Peer to peer networked WiFi. No SSID & password of WiFi Router.

You can then use that for Casting from Android. Works on some Sony TVs. It may even already be on and you only need to select ScreenCast source.

I think it's also madness to connect AndroidTV and most other Smart TVs and any IoT thing to WiFi or ethernet.

Also make sure uPNP is off on the Router and everything else.

5. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

Deceptively spacious ...

A friend from the US wanted to see some modern British homes and so we went to the show house at a nearby development.

Her eagle-eye quickly spotted the 75% scale three-piece suite, magnolia paint, vanilla-scented air-freshener, strategically located ornaments, and the absence of any internal doors.

She was however impressed by the size of the master bedroom's walk-in wardrobe - right up to the point she realised it was the second bedroom.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Deceptively spacious ...

I can confirm this. I moved to the US a few years ago and it blew my mind how much bigger the houses are, like-for-like, compared to their equivalents in the UK.

For what my mortgage in the UK on a 3-bed semi cost me, I got a 4500-sq-ft ranch property on 10+ acres here in the Pacific Northwest. Loving it.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: the Pacific Northwest

But San José?

Median price $1.1M and up 18%

The USA is a big place, but even in England there are cheap houses with > 1 acre. Usually some distance from shops, schools, mains sewerage, decent broadband etc.

6. Richocet

So this is a hypothetical prank

Am disappointed that Kate didn't take the opportunity to pull a hilarious practical joke.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like