back to article Oracle upgrades MySQL with an analytics speed boost albeit only in the Big Red cloud

Oracle has upgraded the online analytical processing capabilities of its MySQL database, but only if you run it in the Oracle cloud. Big Red recognises that MySQL is well regarded for transaction processing but has heard complaints from users who say that its weakness on analytics tasks mean they run another database for such …

1. Robert Moore
    Linux

Question

Does anyone use Mysql on their own machines anymore? I moved over to MariaDB a long time ago for all my own use. I know it looks like the same DB, and largely uses the same tools/syntax, but I just never trusted MySQL after Oracle got their hands on it.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Question

I'm coming across Postgres a lot now. Mostly in companies that would previously have gone straight to MySQL.

1. TVU Silver badge

"Mostly in companies that would previously have gone straight to MySQL"

Given their conduct in respect of their own customers, i.e. checking up on them to try to extract more significant extra cash sums from them, there is no way these days that I would sanction the use of MySql on any enterprise that I am involved in despite its merits. It is just too risky.

2. ortunk

It was robust and performing well before just not as script kiddy friendly as mysql.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like