back to article The Ghost of Windows Past gains spooky second wind as the October 2020 Update nears double digits

An odd thing has happened in the Windows 10 market-share figures published by ad slinger Ad Duplex. While the most recent release, the October 2020 Update (aka 20H2), crept closer to double digits, an older version also registered a gain. The share of PCs running the latest and greatest is up from 1.7 per cent last month to 8. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better finish that game quickly

According to azureprice.net, it costs £106 per hour to run, although that's with 416 cores and 11TB of memory.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Better finish that game quickly

So 3 months use and you could buy your own.

2. DJV Silver badge

1909 was little more than jumped-up cumulative update to 1903

It was also the end for the File Explorer built in search actually working properly to find files modified in a specified date range... sigh... I've just tried it and it still doesn't work right.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: 1909 was little more than jumped-up cumulative update to 1903

Well, that's entirely your own fault for being a luddite and keeping your files on your local PC. Don't you know that the Cloud is where it's at? Get with the times, Grandad / OK Boomer / etc etc.

Trollface icon, obv.

1. Updraft102

At the speed of the fastest internet connection available where I live (not counting cellular, as I have no experience with that or how fast it is), it would take 60 days of 100% utilization to upload all of the data. Downstream is better... I would only need 3 days to download it all.

Clouds are droplets of water or ice particles in aerosol form. They're not useful for storage of data, but they do sometimes look like alligators.

2. J. Cook Silver badge

That's OK; Moving folders still doesn't work right if there's a lot of child folders/files/objects in it. (Seriously- it's faster for me to fire up a commnd prompt or powershell session, "net use z: \\unc_path_to_root_folder", change to the Z drive, move the folder in question, swap back to the c drive, and unmap the drive lettter.)

I sympathize.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

^ This. Same with deleting. It's actually still quicker in good 'ol cmd, never mind powerhell. XCopy is still quite good in comparison to the built-in Windows majigger.

3. theOtherJT Silver badge

I thought that packed up some time during windows 8's tenure.

3. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Fecking Edge

Wouldn't have minded the 20H2 update so much if it hadn't face-raped me by ramming Chromium Edge down my throat and then nagging me about how great it is. It really shouldn't be this hard to get rid of it. And even after removing it I'm still stuck with the old version of Edge, which I may just kill via surgery from a Linux LiveCD before long, as a matter of principle.

1. Daniel von Asmuth
      Windows

Re: Fecking Edge

My olther PC is running build 1909 and telling me that the 2004 version is on its way - presumably got stuck in the Channel tunnel.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Stuck on 1909

I have two 2017 Lenovo laptops with that same "waiting" message. Follow the links through and there are comments from MS about waiting for an audio driver update. Which I guess means never seeing the 2004 Win10

Meanwhile and ancient 2011 Dell laptop that works perfectly well in Win10, except every morning it decides to install the 20H2 update... and then roll back saying you need to contact Dell for a BIOS update. Bizarrely Dell then offer BIOS A03 when the laptop is running A09.

We seem to be getting to a phase where Microsoft is now working with the OEMs to kill off old hardware. Very weird. I have to reinstall one of those Lenovos and only option I therefore have is 1909.

4. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Just how many

Different versions do M$ have these days. Pro, Pro for education, workstation, single flush toilet, double flush toilet!

5. Roland6 Silver badge

The effect (increase in 1909 installs over 20H2) is an obvious effect of too frequent releases...

Given the November 2019 update was stable and in the market it is obvious that OEMs will install it on new systems shipped in 2020.

Given the market conditions I expect the majority of systems shipped in the coming months to also be shipped with 1909. With 20H2 only beginning to be seen on new builds launched in 2021. which given currently the update from 1909 to 20H2 is optional and requires user intervention to initiate, it could be a long-time before systems get updated...

6. FIA Silver badge

Windows can certainly be a little resource-hungry nowadays,

What do you mean 'Resource hungry'??? It's only using 300GB of memory to play Minesweeper.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like