back to article Behold the drive-thru of the California Highway Patrol: Fry me a river, has 'CHIPS' stopped working again?

Welcome to another in our series of digital signage behaving poorly. Today, the revelation through the medium of Windows that "chips" is, of course, the correct word for delicious bits of fried potato. There's a saying in the Bork office, located deep within the bowels of Vulture Central: "It's not McDonald's. It can't be …

1. R J
    Mushroom

CHefs Industrialized Potatoe Strips

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Dan Quayle, is that you?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Shirley it's spelled Quayl??

2. Scotthva5

Commercial Hospital-grade Inedible ProductS

3. Roger Kynaston

Crispy Hyper Incised Pattie Service.

4. Manglemender

Customer Health Improvement Prevention System?

5. macjules
    Unhappy

Since it is McDonald's ...

Computer Helps In Preventing Service

Thus ensuring you are blocked from receiving a dose of mechanically recovery chlorinated chicken, fries like soggy blotting paper and milkshakes that should come with the warning, "Animal of origin unknown".

6. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

The Chips are down

Big Mac, you're on your own

7. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Goodbye

Mr Chips

8. Antonius_Prime
    Joke

"Welcome to McBorkald's: Over 8 Billion Borked!"

Should be a headline on one of the next McBorkage's...

9. richardcox13

Chips Have no Implication of Potato Starch

So much processing applied that there is little remaining link to the original ingredients.

1. Muscleguy

Re: Chips Have no Implication of Potato Starch

There are other things in there as well. If you look on the website the fries are not listed as gluten free. I strongly suspect they dip their anaemic scrawny potato pieces in flour to better crisp them up and of course allow the use of cheaper quality spuds.

I’ve done that with sweep potato fries. GF flour, sweet potato flour in fact, touted as a crisperising agent.

10. heyrick Silver badge

Chewing Hard Indigestible Potato Skins, perhaps?

I should be so lucky. I have gone off the place. One lukewarm undersized burger and half filled (if I'm lucky) pack of chips too many and, sorry, I'll take my intestines elsewhere.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: Chewing Hard Indigestible Potato Skins, perhaps?

One the one occasion I went into a McD and ordered a cheese burger they told me I couldn't have one. They were still serving the breakfast menu apparently. So I bought a rather nice cheese burger from a van in the market outside their shop. Not been in a McD since.

2. Shooter
      Joke

Re: Chewing Hard Indigestible Potato Skins, perhaps?

"The food was terrible! And the portions were so small!"

11. You aint sin me, roit
    Coat

No chips for you!

No fries either.

12. Ochib

Common Hybrid Interface Protocol System (CHIPS) perhaps

13. Wyrdness

Do you want fries...?

Those proper chips in your image look infinitely better than the horrible thin fries that Macdonalds serves. I'm feeling hungry just looking at them.

https://regmedia.co.uk/2015/06/05/chips_teaser.jpg

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Do you want fries...?

They used to be a hell of a lot better until a SJW named Phil Sokolof got to 'em and made McDonald's stop... well... actually frying them.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/original-mcdonalds-french-fry-recipe

Wikipedia doesn't say how Sokolof died, but I can only hope it was a slow painful lingering heart attack. I hates him, I does, my precious. I pray he's burning in hell in a pool of beef tallow.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CHiP's re-run on Forces TV

Crikey, I woke up at 3:00am this morning and CHiPs was on Forces TV. Season 3, episode 5.

The good old days, building my ZX80 and Maplin 5600s, while watching CHiPs.

15. wheelbearing
    Unhappy

Crikey, Hell is Probably Saltless

As they won't serve with salt any more..

16. DJV Silver badge

Company Has Inadequately Paid Staff

With thanks to Derek who came up with the above back in the 1980s when we both worked for a company called CHIPS which, at the time, stood for something like Computer Harmony & Information Processing Services (I might be wrong but it was a long time ago). We all thought it was a bit naff so there was an in-house "competition" to think up a new bunch of words for it. Once Derek's suggestion was submitted, the whole thing was dropped like a hot potato (sorry!).

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I loved watching CHiPs as a young kid...

> the adventures of a pair of California Highway Patrol officers named Ponch and Jon and ran for six seasons from 1977 to 1983

I was always impressed at how they could ride along, side-by-side, close enough to comfortably talk to each other. ;-)

18. Stoneshop
    Devil

Coronary Hazard In Paper Sack

Culinary Hubris Implemented (through) Processed Stuff

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yuk

Crappy Horrible Inedible Potato Substitute

20. Alister

Crisis Happened In Preston Services

21. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Cruddy Hot Instant Problematic Stuff

22. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Don't mention the war!

For you tommyspud, ze warfries is over

23. BebopWeBop

Chips have never worked in MacDonalds.

24. Dave559 Silver badge

CHIPS

I just love that some techie has taken the time and (of course) care to come up with an acronym that spells CHIPS (Car Hop Inbound Processing System would be my half-baked (insert your own punchline) guess), but also that once Big Ronald finds out about this he'll probably explode and collapse with rage that the official term "fries" hasn't been used, hehe…

25. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

The Spud Who Loved Me

“No Mr BondSpud, I Expect You To DieFry!”

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like