back to article Manchester United email servers remain offline amid what is being called a 'ransomware' attack

Players' managers looking to lift salaries by a couple of million pounds or so better check their email read receipts: a full week after Manchester United was hit by hackers, many of its systems remain offline, with at least one report claiming the club is being shaken down for ransom. The malware hit the New York Stock …

1. deive

anonymous "cyber security expert"

It's cummings... and I claim my free eye sight test!?!

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: anonymous "cyber security expert"

That "joke" has been so overdone that you can't even be bothered to capitalise it anymore.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: That "joke" has been so overdone that you can't even be bothered to capitalise it anymore.

Maybe deive is referring to e e cummings.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

managing expectations?

currently aware of any fan data being compromised... seems fans are treated like users at some internet giants.

3. Scott Broukell
    Coat

Well I cetainly hope there are some suitable penalties for any culprit(s) if/when found.

<Mines the one in the corner>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They'll need to check /var first!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just checked it. Penalty and if they miss they get to take it again.

2. Flywheel
        Unhappy

Looks like they took their eye off the ball :(

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

You deserve to be sidelined for that!

3. hayzoos

They seem to be on injury timeout.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

They've tried to save money during lockdown by getting the players to do all the IT support.

1. Falmari Silver badge
      Coat

False economy

That was just false economy. The sort of error I would expect from a rookie manager.

As I pointed out in a previous post to the earlier article on this incident. United's defence are notoriously weak to the set piece.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

by getting the players to do all the IT support

But they couldn't find the "any" key..

5. Peter Clarke 1
    Coat

Cliche Fest

We're Sick as a Parrot that our defence let in such an easy goal. We'll all be giving 110% to get back in the game. I'm sure everyone will be over the moon when the final whistle blows.

OR

We take security seriously blah, blah, blah.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Cliche Fest

New competition for El Reg readers: Spot The Ballsup

Simply mark with an X where you think the exact centre of the ballsup was.

(Answers in next week's paper where you won't believe how on earth our panel of independent investigators came to such a wildly different, yet management exonerating, conclusion.)

6. MrMerrymaker

They're suining Football Manager

For millions and millions. No other English clubs are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They're suining Football Manager

I assume they must be suing over naming rights etc. If so it may end up like various raving simulators over the years which didn't have FIA or F1 rights so had to give all the drivers and teams soundalike names etc (knowing that inevitably a couple of days after release people would start circulating patches that corrected them). If so I suggest that FM should replace them by a ficticious "Salford United" team"!

1. tin 2
        Trollface

I'm not following why a Raving simulator needs rights from the FIA....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Perhaps replacing the name with "Newton Heath United" might be more appropriate

3. Dabooka

Which is exactly what the likes of PES do.

I'd be amazed if an outfit behind the FM series used the names without having the correct permissions in place though, it's got to be around a technicality of their use surely?

From what I read recently about a different case, players naming rights are sold collectively by the national leagues.

Of the major leagues, only Italy doesn't collectivise these rights.

I assume it is the same with club naming rights too - the only club currently in the FIFA game that uses an alias is Juventus ( called something along the lines of Piezante Calcio, which apparently means something like the foothills of the mountains - where Juventus are based ).

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Maybe Fred the Red has gone over to the dark side

A devil’s gotta think about his retirement one day...

8. Danny 2

Here all week

I would like to resubmit my original jokey comment for reappraisal. It's dry, but failing that I'll start releasing personal information about myself.

9. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

They will find their data...

...in the back of the net.

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Just another pitch

Clearly the data is now offside

11. six_tymes

I see so many stories like this, even large companies get attacked. what is odd, there are so many tools out there for free to circumvent the encryption, do these companies not know about the free tools, or do the tools not work?

1. gumbril

Some free tools work, depends on the nature of the attack and the like. Done properly the encryption is pretty much unbreakable in next x billion years. Where it's not done properly, or somehow the bad actors have been infiltrated, then yes, it maybe possible.

Of course, some decent capabilities in place before hand to be able to quickly restore everything, would have been a better answer.

12. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Trollface

Has anyone asked...

... Jürgen Klopp where he was during the times the attack supposedly happened?

Re: Has anyone asked...

My first thought was "it was scousers".

My second thought was that in Liverpool it's still 1964 and the Beatles are still top of the charts.

13. IGotOut Silver badge

Many would argue...

...that parents are held to ransom every year over the disgusting prices of replica kit.

14. This is not a drill

Firstly I would check that the following accounts were disabled:-

MourinhoJ@manutd.com

thespecialone@manutd.com

special1@manutd.com

Secondly monitor any IP traffic coming from N17 postcode area.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remains offline?

It's not hard to set up a mail server, windblows or linux. While they "fix" the current one, a new, temp one is trivial to set up. Who the hell are outsourcing their IT to? Crapita?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like