back to article Spending Review: We spy a stray £60m – is that all you can spare to help 5G market recover from UK kicking out Huawei?

Among the economic doom and gloom of the UK's Autumn Spending Review, Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak inadvertently revealed the sop UK.gov plans to throw to telcos after sacking Huawei from the UK's 5G rollout at the behest of an orange one-term president of the US. Taxpayers are set to provide £60m to help "diversify …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We'd have liked to have given you more but Covid...."

Expect more of this in years to come. Every bad effect of dubious govt. policy will be blamed on Covid.

1. DJO Silver badge

When can no longer blame the EU for their incompetence, any excuse will do - Remember, being Tory means never saying sorry.

2. Snorlax Silver badge

Remember the Brexit bus?

The Brexit bus claimed that £350 million per week was being sent to Europe for the privilege of EU membership.

Presumably UK.gov stopped making these payments after the referendum? Why not spend some of that money on corporate welfare payments?

Or better yet, spend the money on citizens’ welfare rather than propping up tax-dodging multinational phone companies...

1. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

Re: Remember the Brexit bus?

>Presumably UK.gov stopped making these payments after the referendum

Nope.

Payments would have continued until the UK left the EU (i.e. the start of this year) as a minimum.

I suspect the UK has continued to pay close to the full amount during the transition period too, but can't be bothered to check: though I think the monies paid do count towards the total due under the withdrawal agreement

The UK will then continue to pay a proportion of the previous amount, in accordance with the terms of the withdrawal agreement.

The last I remember, total payments under the withdrawal agreement were estimated at around £35 billion, the bulk of which I think get paid in the next couple of years.

So regardless how much money you think the UK sent to the EU, it's not going to significantly reduce for a couple of years

1. phuzz Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: Remember the Brexit bus?

What!? You're saying that a number on the side of the bus was a lie?

3. steamnut

But what about 2025?

In 2015, BT announced that they will be switching off the PSTN and ISDN in 2025. After that time we will all be using some form of VOIP. The roll-out of fibre has to be completed by that date else how will end users make phone calls? I live in a very rural area and have FTTC. But, even that is temporary as it used the analogue lines for the last mile.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: But what about 2025?

You don't need fibre to the home for VoIP.

You just need an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter).

You DO however need power near the phone socket.

1. Robin Bradshaw

Re: But what about 2025?

Could you send the power to run this ATA over the phone lines like power over ethernet

4. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

> sacking Huawei from the UK's 5G rollout at the behest of an orange one-term president of the US.

What a tedious line to take. Bring back El Reg of a few years ago.

Paris because she's (probably) just as disappointed as I am

1. Oh Homer
      Mushroom

re: tedious

Nope, seems spot on to me.

The UK 5g infrastructure has been fscked because of completely unsubstantiated hysteria peddled by a pathological liar.

The question is, will Boris now have the balls to admit he never really wanted to do this in the first place, now that he no longer has to appease the Orange loser?

1. ARGO

Re: re: tedious

Doubt it. He was appeasing his backbenchers more than the orange one. Unfortunately Tugendhat and Duncan-Smith are still around and still believe themselves to be experts on network technology.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So long as the switch is to completely British designed and built 5G I'm sure the Tory back benchers will be happy

1. NeilPost Silver badge

As the Marconi (STC/Plessey) R & D site was flogged by Ericsson after buying the bankrupt scraps after the BT decision to put Huawei at the core of 21CN network - which gets not a whisper made by nut jobs like Tugendhat (furriner sounding name to me) or IDS - and is now a housing estate ... there is approaching fuck-all chance of any British know-how there.

As a native of the former Danelaw may I say I welcome our scandanavian overlords

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Don't encourage them - They'll get the team that built the World Beating Contact Tracing App on it

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Facts offend you?

3. cd

If Lester were still around perhaps he could rocket us back to 2016 and help put us on another track forward. Otherwise, the fault lies with the mess not the messenger.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lucky escape here...

Rural location and wasn't expecting to get fibre early on, if at all.

Openreach were in the manholes last week installing fibre - turns out we are in a rural trial area.

I've not pledged my government voucher (for £1,500) though as the T&C's say you have to switch within two months of "go live" or else they may come after me for the £1,500 as it won't pay out. Trouble is, I'm in a contract until middle of next year and would have to pay early termination fees. A pity, as I would be happy for them to get the cash for deploying out here where we'll probably never get anything else.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: Lucky escape here...

BoJo promised 100% FTTP by 2025. Even if you live up a sheep track in the arse end of Wales/Scotland.

It’s coming.

Although judging by the accuracy of his other pronouncements it will probably result in the removal of all fibre anywhere by 2025

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No it's not - that Bojo the clown promise has just been cancelled:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55092421

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happened to 5G security being important?

It's only important if someone else is paying?

Or there was never a security issue in the first place?

(I know which one of those I'd bet on)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Stop

Re: What happened to 5G security being important?

5G has the same level of security as 4G, which is probably quite a bit above what most broadband has. All US network companies put backdoors in their kit when the NSA asks them to. But, so far, no one has been able to prove that Huawei does for the Chinese and they provide access to their kit and the source code.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's the whole point.

Huawei won't put backdoors in their kit when the NSA asks them to.

They don't need to - it's all decrypted once it's on the bits of wet string connecting towers to the rest of the telephone system, which is owned by suitably 'patriotic' companies that are happy to hand over all the data without a warrant in return for a free pardon

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Money tree

A million on a plane paaint job, 80 million on the brexit festival, billions on brexit itself...

looks like they found the magical money tree, though it doesn't serm to work for starving kids

1. cd

Re: Money tree

Make starving kids profitable first, then try again.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        WTF?

Matt Hancock defends spending almost £50,000 on Bong Bong’s Filipino takeaways

Health secretary says orders for staff were ‘possibly the best value food you can get’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/matt-hancock-filipino-takeaways-health-department-spending-b1760450.html

Just nine orders costing £43,348 were placed at the fashionable “Filipino-inspired” eatery during April – and another £4,179-worth of orders placed in March, according to spending data requested by the Daily Mail and the TaxPayers’ Alliance.

“When people are working 18 hours a day … in the middle of a pandemic, of course I’m going to feed them,” he told Sky News. “It’s possibly the best value food you can get in terms of allowing people working so hard to tackle this virus.”

2. phuzz Silver badge

It's ok, because the government didn't give a fuck about care homes, enough pensioners have died that the State Pension payments are due to be £600M less than they would have been.

I'm sure that the government didn't deliberately have a policy of "let the oldsters die off to save money", if only because that would be killing off their biggest constituency.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like