back to article Mysterious Utah monolith mysteriously disappears without trace

The mysterious monolith found in a remote corner of Utah last week has mysteriously disappeared. The Utah Bureau of Land Management took to Facebook over the weekend to report: “We have received credible reports that the illegally installed structure, referred to as the ‘monolith’ has been removed from Bureau of Land …

1. Chasola

Surely the fact that this was announced on the same day the Darth Vader "died" is no coincidence.

Do the math(sic) sheeple.

1. jake Silver badge

RIP, Green Cross Man.

Remember this one? Came out just about when I first got to England.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: RIP, Green Cross Man.

ALways USE the GREEN cross CODE

Because I won't be THERE when YOU cross the road.

Seared into my memory. :)

2. jake Silver badge

Clearly the marketing manager at Utah Tourism just got paid double their bonus ...

... but I'm still not buying the new Radiohead album.

At this point, does anybody, anywhere, give a shit what Giuliani claims about anything?

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Clearly the marketing manager at Utah Tourism just got paid double their bonus ...

At this point, does anybody, anywhere, give a shit what Giuliani claims about anything?

I do, but only because I've got a weird sense of humour and a love of Dadaism.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Clearly the marketing manager at Utah Tourism just got paid double their bonus ...

Fair enough :-)

Uh ... hang on. Presumably that was not an Amin Dadaism? I mean, Trump is trying (very), but I don't think he'll manage that level of dangerous idiocy, not even with Giuliani's help.

2. Ozan

I didn't know radiohead is still around. Anyway I will not buy new album.

1. Nifty Silver badge

What new album? Streisand effect...

3. steviebuk Silver badge

The guys that "found it"

Were the ones that installed it I bet.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: The guys that "found it"

What, you think that the Utah Department of Public Safety Aero Bureau and the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources were in cahoots?

Somehow I doubt it.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

It's reminding me of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, when Will Ferrell's character keeps insisting to the FBI and other law enforcement personnel that he has jurisdiction over the crime scene because he is a wildlife marshall.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Posts on Reddit with the alleged coordinates of the artifact suggest that some folk were confident of its location... though no corroborating evidence.

1. jake Silver badge

"though no corroborating evidence."

Except it's clearly visible on alphagoo's aerial photos.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Do we know when that photo was taken?

1. Cederic Silver badge

It was not present in 2015 photographs but its shadow was visible in 2016 ones.

Wow! Thanks.

2. heyrick Silver badge

<looks at map>

<zooms out>

<zooms out>

<zooms out>

<zooms out>

Bloody hell, it's like looking at Mars.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Utah in some places pretty much redefines 'barren landscape'. It's not all red either, there are areas that are just an off-white colour with no vegetation anywhere.

It's magnificent to drive through and spectacular and frequently very pretty. Well worth a visit.

4. Francis Boyle Silver badge

In other news

A WW2 bomber has mysteriously reappeared ON THE MOON.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: In other news

The Chinese have a mission to bring it back.

2. KBeee

Re: In other news

And the follow up headline after people with telescopes checked -

"WW2 bomber has mysteriously disappeared from the Moon"

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

I read something

there was a trace, writing in the dirt Bye Bitch, and a puddle of urine....

This is why we can't have anything nice...

Which makes me think it was thieves. Probably for scrap metal. But maybe they were trying to fence it to a rich collector.

6. Chris G

I dunno

Anything about the monolith but there were aliens cunningly disguised as foxes, rummaging around in the rubbish container near my house last night.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: aliens cunningly disguised as foxes,

it was squirrels disguised as foxes, you sillybilly...

7. Martin Howe
    Joke

Wile E Coyote. That's all I'm sayin'

1. Anonymous Custard
      Trollface

Meep meep!

8. Dave 126 Silver badge

Weighed in as scrap?

Was a shoddy Transit van seen in the area?

1. John Miles

Re: Weighed in as scrap?

Rummours were there lots of shouts of "cosmic", "git" and "plonker" in area and sightings of a strange yellow three wheeler with Paris, New York written on the side (which local nerd said was a Reliant Regal, but no one listened to him )

1. Zimmer
        Go

An upvote for getting the make and model correct!

(As a former Reliant owner it really grates when I hear somebody call it a Robin Reliant - and it grated having to type it!)

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Trollface

"it really grates when I hear somebody call it a Robin Reliant"

That's understandable, you wouldn't want to Rely-on-it and no one would try to Rob-it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I was about 100 meters offshore when a conrod in the Reliant engine broke and went through the block. Admittedly, the engine was installed in a hovercraft at the time. As they were aluminium alloy and not cast iron blocks, the engine was good for use in a light hovercraft, but were much more stressed due to high revs they were subjected to, rather than pottering about Peckham in a vehicle they were designed for

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

My father used to drive one. Reliants - not hovercraft. Classed as motortricycles so he had to take his test again when he started driving a car with four wheels!

He was involved in an accident and it was written off. As he worked with fibreglass, he just rebuilt it.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge
              Thumb Up

I was about 100 meters offshore when a conrod in the Reliant engine broke and went through the block.

As opening sentences go, that ranks pretty highly.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

and no one would try to Rob-it.

Not even Robin Hood

2. seven of five

In a desert environment, disappearing metal could also be attributed to Jawa thie^H^H^Hraders. Were there tracks of a Czerka Mining Vehicle?

9. The Central Scrutinizer

The AE 35 unit went TITSUP. Oops, wrong planet.

10. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Alien

Reconnaissance complete

As you will no doubt be aware, the plans for development of the outlying regions of the Galaxy require the building of a hyperspatial express route through your star system, and regrettably, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes. Thank you.

1. Nifty Silver badge

Re: Reconnaissance complete

Such similar wording, just a more generous notice period, than my recent redundancy notice then.

11. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Monolith?

It's a metal box. Or was.

A monolith is big single piece of stone or rock. Clue in the name.

Loads in Europe. Famous ones in Sweden, France, UK and Ireland, from about 1000 years old (Runestones) to maybe 5,000+ years old. This USA newbie structure now AWOL isn't and can't be called a monolith.

It's insulting to call it a monolith.

1. Dabooka

Re: Monolith?

I believe in the original article in mentioned some outcry to the use of the term monolith.

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Devil

boo

I am disappointed to learn that this was not a solid ingot of metal.

By it being called a monolith I had assumed as such.

3. jake Silver badge

"It's insulting to call it a monolith."

a) Artistic license. Just like most of the posts in this this thread ... or indeed, most of the comments here on ElReg.

b) Insulting to whom? The odd lump of stone in Brittany?

1. ClockworkOwl
        Alert

a) Artistic? That's very generous!

b) Could be sexist to insist it's all menhir...

1. jake Silver badge
          Pint

a) I didn't say artistic. I said artistic license.

b) That was awful. Have a beer.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Could be sexist to insist it's all menhir...

femanhir plus.

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

If it was a menhir, look for a large fellow with blue and white striped trousers, red pigtails and a helmet. Often accompanied by a small guy in red red trousers a black top, fair pigtails, and a helmet with wings, and a small black and white dog.

Be careful. They're reputed to be rather strong.

2. Mage Silver badge
        Headmaster

I guess, unless Fay (Sidhe, sìde, elves) installed, all the original monolith installers are dead. There is a reason why they were called the Good Neighbours.

A good point on the lithographic printing, except that's been using metal plates for over 100 years and I'd never heard anyone call a shiny metal box a monolith before last week.

:D

1. jake Silver badge

I've seen suspension bridge towers described as monolithic. Seems to me one wag (Herb Caen?) described the Golden Gate Bridge as bilithic occasionally.

1. phuzz Silver badge

I guess that would be the slightly more 'poetic' use of the word to mean something like "singular in it's environment", which coming back full circle is why a pillar of metal could be described as a "monolith".

2. heyrick Silver badge

I've seen kernels described as "monolithic". They're neither metal nor stone nor solid nor hollow.

1. jake Silver badge

To be fair, we try to make Kernels as solid as possible. Even monolithic ones.

2. Down not across
              Coat

They may not be, but they still rock.

Yeah yeah. I'm going.. no need to push.

3. Cynic_999

And all people who self-identify as an odd lump of stone.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I'm offended. You left me out.

Signed

An Even Lump of Stone

1. jake Silver badge
            Pint

Sorry! I usually try to be more even handed.

In recompense, I'll pour a beer on you next time I'm in the area.

4. Rasslin ' in the mud

b) Insulting to whom?

Pedants and other vermin?

1. jake Silver badge

Hey! I resemble that remark!

5. Nifty Silver badge

Agre. Bet the one in '2001' was hollow too.

1. jake Silver badge

It was hollow. Cheap plywood on a 2x4 frame, painted black.

4. find users who cut cat tail

Please also tell us about how it's insulting to do lithography with metal plates instead of stone…

1. TRT Silver badge

If they do find it too distressing, I have a blanket they can stick their head under to offset the problem. Permanently. I print in C, M, Y, K and O+.

5. David Roberts
      Trollface

Is the one in France the Monolitha?

12. wolfetone Silver badge
    Holmes

Steel box goes missing at the same time Joe Biden breaks his foot.

Co-inky-dink? I think not!

13. not.known@this.address

What's Ben Wishaw got to do with it?

Why would George Takei think the British Secret Intelligence Service have anything to do with this?

Maybe it's linked to Desmond Llewelyn's escape plan?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's Ben Wishaw got to do with it?

I had considered two beings named Q that George Takei might be referring to in USian November 2020. That's wasn't either of them.

1. not.known@this.address

I didn't mention John Cleese as not many people remember him as Q. But given his history in Star Trek, I suspect Sulu was referring to Jon DeLancey's character from The Next Generation...

1. David Webb

Q is a species, as well as a name, all are called Q and are part of the Q, though now the Q has to have at least 2 meters between each of them to maintain their continuum.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
            Coat

Do they have to stand in a Q?

2. jake Silver badge

I rather think that George was laughing at the twits who believe the 4chan-invented qanon nonsense has any basis in reality beyond the minds of fourteen year old little boys out for lulz at the expense of adults who should know better.

As should we all.

14. Martin Summers Silver badge

I thought it was some kind of reflective ground marker for a satellite to use. Is there anything special about the coordinates?

I also gathered its use may be military, hence it has been quickly and quietly disappeared.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Sequels

I thought it was some kind of reflective ground marker for a satellite to use. Is there anything special about the coordinates?

It's in Utah. Rumors that it was a Utah Book Repository & contained words written on gold sheets have yet to be officially denied.

I also gathered its use may be military, hence it has been quickly and quietly disappeared.

I doubt it. Unless some airpersons from Nellis got a bit lost. Which is perhaps easily done given the NAFBC is around 10,000 square miles of assorted sneaky & not so sneaky bits. And the US Military has other large chunks of the US to hide stuff in. I guess you could use targets like this as training exercises for human or machine detection, but my bet is it was an art installation, or maybe part of a geolocation/geocaching challenge.

Or a Vogon traffic cone..

15. Dr. G. Freeman

It's not gone anywhere, it's still where it was.

We've moved.

1. seven of five

So it is a bit like my head feels on a Saturday morning?

16. MarkET

Monolith

Was never there. End of.

17. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jim Mitchell

It is a pop culture reference you are not getting. You never saw 2001?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Childcatcher

I never saw 1962, though I was conceived in it!

18. macjules
    FAIL

Metal slab that looks like something out of 2001 appears and disappears. Makes headlines

And in other news .. Laurence Fox held a lunch party and invited more than 6 people and wrote about it on Twitter.

Isn't life grand?

19. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
    Alien

It's a wanky "art" piece by some self-aggrandising wanker or other.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Broken clocks

I'm assuming they're not self-aggrandising as no artist has popped up to claim it, and offer the correct interpretation. Then again, it could be on it's way to an auction house or gallery.

But if I'd stol.. I mean acquired this valuable piece of modern art, I'd pitch it as a chronological inconsistency in arrangement. A juxtaposition of events, objects from different time periods. A most uncommon example of an object misplaced in time, a technology, a philosophical idea, and a material, that is placed outside its proper temporal domain*.

So basically a sundial that could be seen from space. As demonstrated by the people who located it by seeing it's shadow in satellite imagery. Reserve price set at $1.5m..

*shamelessly stolen and adapted from wiki

20. Scott 53

It has moved

To Romania. Who had aliens for December 2020? Gutted, because my money was on zombies.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

advertising

for Toblerone?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

expect it to resurface

on ebay. Or Sothebys.

23. John 104

Joke is on us

Turns out, Arthur Clark's 2001 and follow up 2010 were not science fiction writings, but actually implanted thoughts delivered by alien overlords. Clark mis-interpreted the message and wrote what he thought was a fiction. That not working, the aliens decided a more direct placement of the message block was in order. Sadly, in a strange mashup of science fiction and reality, the aliens, determining that humans were not the correct vehicle for message deliver after the Clark debacle, instead placed it where the perceived higher life form would discover it. However, a mix-up between deer mouse and common mice is again preventing the correct delivery of the message.

24. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Amazon Shipping Error?

I think that Amazon simply shipped it to the wrong address and when they saw the posts on Twitter they organized a return.

1. seven of five

Re: Amazon Shipping Error?

Nah, if it were to be delivered by Amazon, it would be somewhere halfway across the lawn, dented.

25. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

It probably left to form a giant ring at the edge of the solar system with all the other ones.

1. Trigun

In that case, for heavens sake remember to around it, not through it!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

T'was Trump

Since he could not get space at Mt. Rushmore orignally, he decided this was his ultimate resting place. And plonk this lith with the help of Guilliani and his other plonkers.

He will appear as a ghost to haunt Biden & Co. there someday. Mark my words, D. Vader ! It is Trumpistand out there.

27. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Alien

Distracted by the shiny thing

Why is no one menthioning the rather obvious face carved into the rock?

Are we just meant to pretend it's not there?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Distracted by the shiny thing

Shhhhhh!!!!!

2. jake Silver badge

Re: Distracted by the shiny thing

It's there, but seeing as there are no tool marks or real symmetry, it was most likely wind-carved and is thus just a natural random pattern in the rock. You can see things like this eroded into rocks all over the world, and indeed on the Moon, Mars, and in other places.

Don't worry, pareidolia is considered to be a normal human tendency.

HOWEVER, that is not to say that the face-like image is not part of the reason the thing was erected in that spot in the first place. I personally hope the person(s) responsible owns up to the reason and/or meaning behind the thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

28. heyrick Silver badge

I went with Giuliani

As each press conference comes and goes, it's becoming more and more obvious that he's not from this world, or indeed our concept of reality.

29. RM Myers

Sign

Looks exactly like the signs in one tall building I visited. The numbers told you which elevator went to which group of floors.

30. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

In Soviet Russia ...

... monolith removes you!

31. Pretty Ricky

Was it ever really there?

32. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
  33. Marty McFly Silver badge

Shades of the Mojave Phone Booth in this story...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_phone_booth

34. Claverhouse Silver badge

They Should Have Just Left It There --- Doing No Harm

I like the fact that it was 'illegally installed', as if the US Government 'owns' the desert; and that the desert wasn't there millions of years before the US, and will be millions of years after the US is wiped from the memory of all things.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon