back to article TikTok given another week to sort out how to sell itself

TikTok has another week to sort out its sale to Oracle, Walmart, and their investor pals. The company had already won extensions to the deadline imposed by the Trump administration to conclude the deal, but the new filing [PDF] reveals that the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) has "granted an …

1. katrinab Silver badge
    Windows

Maybe they can get delays until after the Orange one is dragged out of the White House?

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

By this point, there's only two months left in this administration, so it might turn out less trouble for them to just do nothing. I'd give it at least 50% chance that Biden kills the whole thing.

2. 45RPM Silver badge

TikTok? Really? Firstly, delay until Trump is out - I think Biden will consider that there are more important things to worry about. Secondly, if we’re going to worry about social media, let’s worry about the major offender. Facebook, and the new uncontrolled conspiracy sites like Parler. Whilst I’d like to see the whole sorry lot of them closed, I’d settle for them being heavily regulated.

1. pavel.petrman

I'd settle for same, but alas, if recent history taught us anything, it would be that the most important thing is not what is being done but _who_ does it. Remember NSA, Five Eyes, legality of Britain's illegal invasive CCTVing and wiretapping, Juniper et al's backdoor policy versus Huawei, and so on and on? The only good thing about the switch from Trump to Biden is that Biden doesn't seem to be so hell bent on the us-vs-them with China as Trump is.

3. 0laf
    WTF?

Why

Why would you want to buy this?

It'll be gone in 5yr and in the pile of old shit with MySpace, Bebo and Vine

I guess they think they can make a profit in the short term before the yoof move on to the next app fad.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: It'll be gone in 5yr and in the pile of old shit with MySpace, Bebo and Vine

and Facebook and Instagram and Twitter?

some of them make the cut, others don't; they're betting TikTok does

(we need a "lotsa cash" icon)

2. jason_derp

Re: Why

"It'll be gone in 5yr and in the pile of old shit with MySpace, Bebo and Vine"

CEO of WalMart here, I just got learned how to to use internet with my sun1 :)

How many quarters are in 5yr? Not heard of yrs before, only do quarters :(

Thankss1

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

If I were running TikTok I'd be sorely tempted to:

1. Take the money

2. Deliver a barebones software system on the grounds that China's export controls forbid export of anything more

3. Withhold the user data on privacy grounds

4. Start another one next week. How does TikyTaky sound as a new name?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Happy

not a bad take on all of this, actually

5. jelabarre59

faffing around

TikTok are just hoping to screw around long enough for a CCP-subservient Harris/Biden administration to come along, so they can CONTINUE to serve the needs of the Chinese government.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: faffing around

I'm glad someone could would actually post that!

6. Zolko Silver badge

dangerous game

"find a US buyer to operate TikTok under strict security conditions that prevent data flowing to China"

aren't they throwing stones while sitting in a glass house ? What if other countries follow their lead and ask the same about Google, Facebook et al ? Actually ... yeah, bring-it-on !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like