back to article We see what you did there: First-stage booster from Rocket Lab's Return to Sender mission floats back to Earth

Rocket Lab has joined SpaceX in a very exclusive club of orbital booster recovery-capable companies after it parachuted an Electron first stage back to Earth. The primary goal of the "Return to Sender" mission was the deployment of 30 satellites to a Sun-synchronous orbit for a range of customers. The payload featured a …

1. stiine Silver badge

nice....but

I hope they understand how corrosive saltwater can be...

1. iron Silver badge

Re: nice....but

If you had read the article you would know the answer to that question.

2. MiguelC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Re: Valve's Gabe Newell is to donate $1 to the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit at Starship Children's Hospital for each view of the launch webcast. Over $80,000 has been raised at the time of writing, according to Rocket Lab, and those catching up on things via YouTube over the next few hours will also be counted toward the total.

Nice way to increase your view count, I really hope they get a whopping lot of views!

3. Lon24
    Mushroom

The Scottish Solution

Not sure I'd wannabee a helicopter pilot dashing under a falling rocket. Why not let it fall into something less corrosive than sea water? Aim it at a large hole filled with porridge to soften impact and sufficiently high viscosity to prevent liquid ingress.

What could possibly go wrong?

1. Mark 85

Re: The Scottish Solution

I've been wondering about this also.... big blades spinning overhead and something huge falling at it and some how the helicopter has to get above the falling rocket.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

The main chute trails a small drone shoot above and behind, the helicopter snags this line with a long underslung line.

2. rg287

I've been wondering about this also.... big blades spinning overhead and something huge falling at it and some how the helicopter has to get above the falling rocket.

Wonder no more.

Google is amazing ;)

1. Intractable Potsherd

I've seen it several times, and I still get the heebie-jeebies when I see rotary wings and cables in such proximity! It's impressive but uncomfortable to watch.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

There is precedent

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A better, truly Scottish, precedent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKkWso1bNyE

And, yes, it's a real (CIA black ops) thing.

1. JCitizen
          Unhappy

I was so sad to find out Mr. Connery died late last month. He was such a hero of mine, even if just a movie one. :'(

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Porridge is a non Newtonian fluid...

4. JimiJoe

Exclusive club - huh?

Great achievement, but didn't NASA recover and refurbish solid rocket boosters from the Space Shuttle by parachute into the Atlantic Ocean in the 1980's?

1. Mark 85

Re: Exclusive club - huh?

Yes, but there's a difference. Those boosters were basically just a huge pipe without complicated parts like pumps, etc. Once on land, hose them down inside and out and job done.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Uh no. There WERE pumps, bearings, and actuators, for moving the nozzle, as well as a ton of guidance and abort electronics. All of which basically had to be replaced.

It cost almost as much to re-use a SRB as buying a new one, but it gave you the advantage of inspecting flown hardware.

2. KarMann Silver badge
      Headmaster

'Exclusive clubs' don't generally mean they have just one member. That wouldn't be much of a club, then, would it?

5. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Parachute.

Makes more sense than carrying extra fuel aloft and the extra pollution of Thunderbirds style rocket landing. See Rocket Equation.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Parachute.

The parachute required for a Falcon 9 would have been impractically huge. That did not stop someone planning to reuse Saturn V with even bigger parachutes and an enormous helicopter. That helicopter is a bit tricky to control. To go sideways you need to twist the blades one way on the right and the other way on the left. It will take time for that change in twist to travel from the hub to to blade tip. You have to work out what the effect of previous twists will be to decide what twist to apply now so it can reach the correct radius when needed later.

The it might be possible to make the control system different (not sure if this will be easier) by not twisting the blade from the hub but instead putting separate control surfaces on different radii on the trailing edge of each blade. The controls could be powered by compressed air from the jet engines on the blade tips.

If you somehow work out a way to make an enormous helicopter someone will complain about all the fuel it uses while ignoring the much larger carbon emissions of building a new booster from scratch.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Parachutes don't give you a soft enough landing (at least on land) to reuse the rocket.

So either land on water and hope to clean it out before it rusts, or a very-very big net, or try and catch it by helicopter.

SpaceX reckoned that the extra % of fuel it needs to hold back for the landing weighed less than the parachute, was more reliable and meant they didn't have to give it a sponge bath

2. rg287

* Electron has a launch mass of ~12t with the returning first stage weighing less than a tonne.

* F9 has a launch mass of 550t with the returning first stage weighing ~25tonnes.

Let us know when you have a parachute or helicopter capable of catching a booster with an empty mass ~25tonnes.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

Not in the club yet

Not until they relaunch it.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

For what is a a fairly small company this is an amazing achievement.

And yes Part II is when they recover a stage, refurb it and relaunch it.

We'll see how long that takes.

SX took about a year but Electron is quite a bit smaller.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Things falling from space...

There seems to be a worryingly large number of people that can precisely drop a large object from space. If they got political the world could be substantially improved....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like