back to article As nearly everyone stays home for the pandemic, plunge in overseas charges dents Vodafone's revenues

Vodafone was today left counting the cost of reduced international travel among its customer base due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The group's revenue fell 2.3 per cent to €21.43bn in the six months ending to September 30, which the telco attributed [PDF] to a steep decline in roaming charges. Lower handset sales were also …

1. Sykowasp

Diddums.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

European roaming revenue fell nearly 80 per cent when compared to the previous year.

I thought the EU had ended roaming charges, so how come Voda lost money when no-one was roaming?

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Only within the EU.

2. Annihilator

It only ended roaming charges to the end-customer (and only in the EU). Doesn't say it can't charge the European telcos - and they do. You'll also note that profits were up - precisely because they weren't also paying the European telcos for the EU roaming that their UK customers did on the continent.

3. Mark192

You meant "Telco giggled while roam burned"?

The Register buried, in a small corner of the article:

"...profits were up. Vodafone's bottom line swelled to €1.56bn".

I salute The Register's efforts to feed our schadenfreude, while still providing accurate reporting :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any tax due?

A quick lunch with HMRC chief will ensure no tax is paid, with creative accounting to boot.

Bad customer servie getting even worse ! No wonder profits swelled.

5. NeilPost Silver badge

Milking it

Basically shows how much Voda make stiffing people on their £5 daily roaming charge outside of your plan.

6. macjules

Could not happen to a nicer company

My crocodile tears are burning down my cheeks. I suppose the next step is to place a large number of staff on warning, provide them with 6 months furlough and let the taxpayer pick up the redundancy package.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like