back to article Ticketmaster cops £1.25m ICO fine for 2018 Magecart breach, blames someone else and vows to appeal

The Information Commissioner’s Office has fined Ticketmaster £1.25m after the site’s operators failed to spot a Magecart card skimmer infection until after 9 million customers’ details had been slurped by criminals. The breach began in February 2018 and was not detected until April, when banks realised their customers’ cards …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Bye Bye Ticket Blaster?

I'm not sure how many tickets they sell these days, maybe they will shrivel up and cease to exist? One can hope!

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Bye Bye Ticket Blaster?

They seem to be at least attempting to sell a load of tickets for events that almost certainly won't happen.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And the appeal will be?

It wasn't our code, even though we let on the page? I can't see that getting very far.

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: And the appeal will be?

Yeah, it wasn't MY car I was driving to the bank robbery - I'm innocent Guv!

On another note I see Experian is mentioned. I hope they get a swift kick right where their legs come together.

2. Lee D Silver badge

Data protection doesn't care who's at fault. If you accepted and stored the data in a bad way, it's your fault.

You could have been handing that data entirely to the third party on a secure page, and it's still YOUR fault if it gets out, if the customer was giving their data to you.

There is no "we were just contracting that out" get-out clause in DPA or GDPR. Likely you're both fined, but at minimum the original "collectors" of the data can't escape liability. And if people were putting their data on Ticketmaster's site and one of Ticketmaster's contractors leaked it - tough luck, Ticketmaster are liable first and foremost.

This is one of the (many) things I have to regularly explain about data protection to people. It doesn't matter what promises you get from the other companies you give personal data... if that data was given to you, it's your responsibility if they mess up, just the same as if you'd messed up yourself.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

And it was very reasonable that we took ages to look into it after we'd been told.

I'd like to think that one of tese days an appeals court will take a dim view of such appeals and increase the fine.

4. NeilPost

Like BA and Marriott - we have no money.

Can you fine us £10 please.

3. Mog_X

Will there be a service / handling fee added onto the fine?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

That'd be karma :)

It's only fair that the banks should also get their costs incurred replacing the cards returned as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agree, even though I hate banks

Applied for a NatWest business account online. Next day I got a response of "we are too busy to open new accounts right now". A pity they didn't tell me that before I spent an evening filling in the application :-(

2. chivo243 Silver badge

Yes, it would be a tariff on being a dickwit outfit, with compounded interest! I won't shed a tear when the company goes under, I will feel bad for those coalface workers at TM...

4. sitta_europea Silver badge

YOU put stuff on YOUR Website, it's YOUR responsibility.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, has it been that long?

Every six months or so a card gets replaced by an issuer. Sometimes it's a text message asking if we ordered $531 of Nike shoes, other times it's just they've got to replace the card for 'reasons'. How long until we've got to have *3* different cards, to protect against A then B going out of service simultaneously?

1. dinsdale54

Re: Oh, has it been that long?

Back when I used to travel to the US frequently, about 1 trip in 3 would result in me needing a new credit card after fraud attempts. I now endeavour to use disposable credit card numbers for most transactions. As well as protecting me, I realise they will make fraud detection much easier as ANY second usage is a red flag.

6. sanmigueelbeer
    Thumb Down

Fine: £1.25m

Potentially affected customers: 1.5 million

Wow. <£1/person. Bravo ICO, bravo. </sarcasm>

1. 0laf
      FAIL

Just wait. In 6 months Ticketmaster will 'agree' to pay £12.50.

I

7. Stephen Wilkinson

Ought to have the fine doubled for saying they take security very seriously

8. Snowy Silver badge
    Holmes

It is a start

It will be great when we hear that the fine has been paid, but I think that is not going to be anytime soo. :/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ticketmaster takes fans’ data privacy and trust very seriously

they're SO out of date with bullshit, they should browse google for more up-to-date weasel statements. But then, given it's taken them 9 weeks to catch up with evidence of the breach...

1. MrMerrymaker

Re: Ticketmaster takes fans’ data privacy and trust very seriously

I think they do take our data very seriously

That's why they only let the highest bidder get it..

10. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Someone should appeal.

If what's shown here is correct then, after being advised of the problem, they sat on their fat, lazy arses for nine months before bothering to look into it.

They're only being fined for one month. Hopefully, on appeal, they'll get the other £10m lumped on as well.

11. hoola Silver badge

Nothing new....

The response of Tickmaster to Monzo is just typical of any online businesses nowadays , they simply either make it impossible to contact them or ignore anything that is passed to them.

It appears to be totally acceptable now to hide behind a wall of obscurity:

Online - use are chat service that is in fact a sodding bot.

Submit a ticket - goes into the same automated bucket.

Phone - a voice activated automated alien that does not get you anywhere other than high stress levels.

In the unlikely event that the phone option does put you through to some sort of interactive lifeform they appear to have no more information than you. If you are doubly lucky, said lifeform even speaks an intelligible language.

12. Cuddles

Easy rules to remember

"in breach of all rules and guidance on JS and payments pages"

Rules and guidance on JS and payments pages:

1) Don't.

2) There is no 2.

13. A random security guy

Wasn't the fine up to 2-4% of the worldwide revenue?

<sarcasm> 1.25 million anything is a joke. Unless it is Berkshire Hathaway stocks. </>

14. A random security guy

I know how it went ...

1. Engineer/Support person gets this security ticket

2. Explains to manager

3. Manager asks what it will do to the schedule

4. Manager says we are not going to do anything.

Just recently had a program manager nitwit for their e-commerce website (yup the money earning part of their business) tell me that they are going to fix 9 critical vulnerabilities, including several RCE issues, AFTER the buying season was over.

I finally escalated all the way to the top and they explained to the PM that their might not be a business left if the issues were not fixed by just updating 1 package from the current version to the next minor version which was a security fix.

Sometimes a sledge hammer works. This is a rare success.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like