back to article Cutting the ties: European hosting provider OVHCloud to offer Google Anthos, no Google account needed

Google's "first partnership of this kind" with an independent hosting provider sees its Anthos Kubernetes platform offered without ties to Google Cloud, according to the third-party cloud company selling the service. OVHCloud (formerly OVH) is a cloud services slinger based in France but with a global presence, having 30 data …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

I see OVH and think...

... Firewall / Block.

Them along with Digital Ocean.

1. Steve Foster
      Thumb Up

Re: I see OVH and think...

Indeed, I added yet another IP block to my firewalls today after receiving spam from a previously unseen OVH server.

I did bump into a way to list all the IP blocks registered to an organisation recently, but now can't quite find it again (something ARIN/RIPE/etc whois based, I think).

1. Victor Ludorum

Re: I see OVH and think...

This asn script will list IP ranges for a particular AS-number (AS16276 for OVH)

2. el kabong

Almost 2021 and still...

we can easily find alleged professionals who can't do it any better than block entire IP ranges that are shared by many users, most of the affected users being perfectly legitimate, doing nothing wrong.

With almost everyone running massively shared IP infrastructures these days this cannot be good, applying a brain dead solution is not the right thing to do.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Almost 2021 and still...

Better suggestions? I'm told setting spammers on fire is apparently illegal too. Boo :-(

1. el kabong

It's all about doing the job properly

Nothing fancy really. If you are not willing to put up the work then you will never be able to do the job properly.

I am assuming you want to do it properly, of course.

1. sgp

Re: It's all about doing the job properly

So no suggestions. Noted.

1. el kabong

Suggestion #1: Ask google

from there work your way up.

Need more?

1. sgp

Re: Suggestion #1: Ask google

An adult reaction maybe? If you say something is a brain dead solution, then explain what you see fit instead.

1. el kabong

Blanket IP banning is lazy

Blanket IP banning is easy and indeed it is safe because if people cannot access your service then they can do no harm to it. The blanket ban approach may work well for some local sites but if that is not your case then it will work against you.

Blanket IP banning worked well 10 years ago but not anymore, things have changed, a lot, these days you'll find malicious bots sharing IP addresses with legitimate users and unless your case is very specific I'm sure you don't want to ban those legitimate users.

Blanket IP banning is bad, laziness is bad.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
                    Facepalm

Re: Blanket IP banning is lazy

it looks like some people are not aware that the situation where you have 1 IPv4 address mapping to 1 server is no longer valid...

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: Suggestion #1: Ask google

Not to put words in his mouth, but what the man is trying to tell you is that what you are asking is not the simple but wrong solution that you can find in a forum post or blog article, but a skilled service that has an inherent cost and value.

The right question to ask is: "we may need a better solution than we currently have, would you be willing to consult for us and what are your rates?"

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It's taken a good while but US over-reach into European data centres of US corporations was always going to make these sort of deals essential.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

European Data Sovereignty

As far as I'm concerned, it is just not compatible with Google.

Huawei has now been baselessly accused of handing over data to Beijing for the past four years. Google is a US company and everyone knows that an National Security letter will get any data on Google servers anywhere in the world.

So if you want to enforce European Data Sovereignty, the sine qua non condition is to have nothing to do with a US company.

It's simple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: European Data Sovereignty

Agreed, OVH used to be in my good books because they didn’t have exposure to the US. Their North American data centres were all in Canada.

Due to acquisitions they now have US centres too, tainting them with partial US jurisdiction. They are now in my ‘medium books’.

I would obviously never host in a US data centre but I am also not keen on indirect exposure. Some of my clients are legally not even allowed to have this kind of exposure.

It’s a shame because in OVH and Hetzner we probably have the only two European companies that have the potential to become serious mid-tier players in the cloud space. There was an, I believe, Italian company too that I considered to have potential at one point but they were acquired by a US based entity.

I still use OVH for some projects, however, and I feel over the last year or so they’ve improved a lot on the little niggles I used to have. I like their anti-DdoS offerings for instance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: European Data Sovereignty

| Some of my clients are legally not even allowed to have this kind of exposure.

curious, what law in what country is that? my lack of creativity has me wondering if

"not allowed" means they've already done something extraditable.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Google Cloud on its own not a “trusted" service

Rhetorical question, I presume?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like