back to article Hmmmm, you know what Azure PowerShell is lacking? Some Predictive Intellisense

The Azure PowerShell team has unveiled Az Predictor, a handy command line helper aimed at easing casual users into the often complicated cmdlet world of PowerShell. Az Predictor will strike terror into the hearts of hair-shirted PowerShell users who have carefully memorised the 4,000 or so cmdlets exposed by Azure PowerShell ( …

1. Daniel von Asmuth
    Windows

The return of Clippy the Office Assistant

Where have you been?

2. Scott 26

I'm more concerned that it requires PS7.

MS don't have an IDE for v7, so I use VSC - VSC + Azure modules + PS7 has quite a few well documented bugs....

3. fobobob

Opinion

It's already huge and slow to launch (seems like 2-3 seconds is the fastest I've EVER gotten a prompt, and the range is normall 5-30) compared to cmd.exe ... so why the heck not? Would certainly be more approachable if you could get some context-sensitive help as you were typing, rather than just cycling through lists of CamelCase-Hyphenated tokens. Otherwise, I find I frequently have to abort the command to invoke contextual help, or do it online.

4. Rockets

Tab Autocomplete

"tab completion has been a thing in PowerShell for over a decade". It has but it sucks. Tab to the next alphabetical option rather than present all the possible options like BASH does is horrible. And why does it feel like to get anything useful done in PowerShell you wind up typing out a paragraph once you pipe through two or three or commandlets.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

But why?

Why are there thousands of cmdlets to begin with? How was/is that ever productive?

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: But why?

This is how MS fill their certification exams.

When I did Windows 2000 MCP it was a really useful grounding in both Windows and PC technologies, especially networking. I looked to upgrade to 2016 - now it's just memorising powershell commands. Useless for someone who does as little admin as myself.

1. fobobob

Re: But why?

Never got certified, but I took a few classes in the XP/2K3 days and can say my experiences aligns well with yours. Between those and a full Cisco CCNA course (never certified, again) in high school, it provided me with a pretty robust set of skills for dealing with all things Windows/networking. I have never felt it was wasted effort/money despite never having administered a corporate domain or deployed/managed an extensive Cisco network.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Internet connection again

> More annoying is the requirement for an internet connection,

> although the team is planning support for disconnected environments.

Ugh.

The one place I need to use powershell is secure environments that have internet disabled for good reason.

Thanks MS for announcing a demo - I hope if becomes useful in the future.

7. hoola Silver badge

Predictive?

What I fail to understand on so many of these predictive things is why, for instance typing an email on a phone, it goes for the most obscure and complicated derivation of a word as the first option.

Just what is driving the "Predictive" part and what sort of convoluted mind created the rules.

As a previous posted has already said, PowerShell is tuning into an abomination. Great if you spent 12 hours a day using it but becoming nigh on impossible if you don't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like