back to article You like Jira that much? Atlassian goes full Service Management with platform, promises Service Desk is fine

Atlassian has unveiled plans to give IT Service Management a whacking with the Jira stick in the form of Jira Service Management. The announcement is an attempt to apply so-called agile and DevOps principles to the hardworking IT service desk. The theory goes that hooking up operations and development over the entire IT …

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Oh this will go well...

...title says it all really.

2. tiggity Silver badge

Atlassian

.. would do far better fixing bugs in their products nad forcing people onto cloud (bad decision to stop the on premises versions especially a lots of people don't want cloud due to various reasons e.g. EU located on US servers can be problematic with the theoretical privacy issues )

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: Atlassian

The "We're moving bitbucket to the cloud, it'll be great!" thing is actually forcing us to stop using bitbucket (not that I'm complaining) the the whole point was we're storing utterly vast and rapidly changing datasets in the thing and not thrashing it up and down our internet link was the entire point of setting up the service in house in the first place.

3. Ragarath

End of On Prem

What a pain in the arse. I only started using Service Desk last year because it offered an on premise solution and was better than what I was using previously. I'm now going to have to go through all the shenanigans again looking for a new solution. In a few years.

Stop forcing people into the cloud. I don't need it nor want it to be in the cloud.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fix the thousands of outstanding bugs and feature regressions in Atlassian products first please.

5. nxnwest

Second PC Revolution

The PC revolution started as a way to get away from the hegemony of the mainframe/terminal. To give people freedom to use their technology as they saw fit. I believe there should be a second revolution away from the cloud and service model because it is the same thing only (groan) 'rebranded'. I do shudder when I here about 'personal brand'.

6. JJKing
    FAIL

Atlassian all money, don't care.

The company my daughter works at uses Jira and she wanted a button that would create multiple tickets at once. The Atlassian solution, go find a plug in online. WTF? Why are they are relying on third parties to add features to the multi Billion $$$ business. Instead of having this feature in Jira she went online, found the appropriate plug in, modified for her needs and then couldn't implement it due to her company blocking the Java part of the plug in. If this feature and multiple others were part of Jira then maybe Atlassian could be making Billions of $$$ more than they are at present.

Is this a case of a little company getting too big and becoming an uncaring conglomerate or is it behemoth?

1. AVee

Re: Atlassian all money, don't care.

The had an IPO, so they now only exist to make as much short term money as possible for the shareholders...

7. TheRealRoland
    Unhappy

Atlassian is moving further and further away from having a useful tool. There's information that only the UI generates in the form of tooltips, and can't find that information generated in searches or reports anywhere. They are constantly 'improving' the UI, reusing fields for other purposes (Beta Roadmap feature, anyone?)

The fact that it's still impossible without plugins, etc. to get a list of stories and their corresponding child stories in a custom search is just laughable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like