back to article Curse of Arecibo strikes again: Now another cable breaks, smashes into America's largest radio telescope

America’s largest radio telescope, at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico, has suffered yet more damage after another cable above the reflector dish snapped and came crashing down last week. It doesn’t appear to be as serious as a similar accident in August, when a three-inch-thick auxiliary cable broke free and tore a 100- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's really true US infrastructure are old and decaying....

Let's see which president will start to update and upgrade them really.... stock exchanges indexes are not the only indicators of the health and wealth of a country.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Indicators

Sadly they are, however, the only indicators that matter to political donors.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Arecibo would have been well maintained if there was a golf course next door.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Boffin

Arecibo would have been well maintained if there was a golf course next door.

Don't give him ideas - the trees are much preferred.

In any case, he'd just want to use it as a hole that even he could hit in one...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Sadly they are, however, the only indicators that matter to political donors."

As demonstrated by the US Presidents tweet when the vaccine was announced.

"STOCK MARKET UP BIG, VACCINE COMING SOON. REPORT 90% EFFECTIVE. SUCH GREAT NEWS!

Yeah, it's great news, but how he leads the sentence is telling.

1. JJKing
          Unhappy

It is going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong 73 days.

2. Justin Clements

Stock market is great news if you have a 401k.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            Trollface

Lucky you. I've only got about 50k in the bank.

1. herman

Lucky you - most people have 50k debt on their 13 credit cards.

3. DS999 Silver badge

What's really funny is that the announcement came from Pfizer, who did NOT participate in Trump's "warp speed" program (gave money to drug companies to help defray the risk of making a vaccine that might not work)

So even though he tries to take credit for it, he had nothing to do with it.

If that 90% effectiveness holds up, that will be a game changer. Looking forward to FINALLY being able to put this virus behind us next spring! It is going to be a bad winter in the US though, record high cases and hospitalizations in many states across the country. Hopefully we've learned enough about treating it in the past six months that we won't also break records in deaths.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Boffin

90% effective is a game-changer ... if the number of people who refuse to be vaccinated is low enough. I hope that the twitterbook-mediated anti-vax tinfoil death cult doesn't have enough believers yet, but I fear it does.

1. DS999 Silver badge

90% effective will work even if only half of people get vaccinated. You just need to reduce the 'r' value of how many people the average infected person infects below 1, though obviously the further below 1 the quicker it dies out. Being over 90% effective means fewer smart people will get infected by the antivax morons, so at least there's that.

There are levers that a president who doesn't turn everything into a partisan issue can pull to get the vaccination percentage up. I hope Biden requires schools require their students/faculty/staff be vaccinated for the 2021 term or loses federal funding, require it of military and federal employees, etc.

I'm sure a lot of the Trumpies will scream from the rooftops about their "freedom" being infringed by requiring a shot, but this is nothing new as vaccination requirements for schools, military and federal employees date back to the 50s and were not controversial or partisan then. At least they would get back their freedom to cough on others they are so upset about lately, and the worst they'd spread would be the usual colds and flu.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Boffin

Unfortunately you probably need quite a lot more than 50%. If you assume that R0 is 2.5, vaccine effectiveness is 90% and 10% of people are already immune, you need 55%. But the practical effectiveness will probably be lower than 90% (see this): if it's 80% then with the remaining assumptions unaltered you need 62%. And then perhaps some people can't have the vaccine which makes things worse.

I don't know what the proportion of people who are anti-vaxxers are, but I suspect after n years of conspiracy-theory-cretinism the window between how many you need to vaccinate and how many will accept vaccination is uncomfortably narrow. I don't wish anyone harm, but I do wish anti-vaxxers would go and live on another planet.

However there's another way of thinking about it which is much more cynical and which you might be referring to above. If you or I get vaccinated, then we've got a (probably less than) 90% chance of being immune, regardless of whether there is some kind of viral apocalypse happening around us. But the anti-vaxxers will not have that safety factor. So they'll preferentially get ill and preferentially die. Unfortunately they will also cause people who can't be vaccinated to get ill and die, which is horrible.

If I was really, really cynical and nasty (and I'm not suggesting this) I would instigate a rule which said that if you get ill with CV19 and you have both been offered and refused vaccination then you should not get other than palliative treatment. They more-or-less do this for smokers in some places.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

What's really funny is that the announcement came from Pfizer, who did NOT participate in Trump's "warp speed" program (gave money to drug companies to help defray the risk of making a vaccine that might not work)

Actually, they *DID*, they just didn't want to admit to it. They've already been caught in that particular lie. But go on ahead, keep flogging the false narrative.

2. ThatOne Silver badge
    Unhappy

The writing is on the wall

As I said in the last article about the last accident, "they" are trying to bring it to a point where they can claim repairs (and of course any upgrade) are not a viable option anymore.

Stay tuned for other sudden (and totally unforeseen!) accidents.

(We need a tinfoil hat icon)

3. oiseau
    WTF?

What caused it?

An investigation to pinpoint what caused the August failure is still ongoing.

Really?

Still don't know?

Like I said in August:

"Due to the lack of federal aid, a great deal of Puerto Rico's basic infrastructure is still in ruins after hurricanes Irma and María devastated the island, all made worse by an earthquake in January of this year.

Could this have also affected Arecibo's maintenance schedules?"

As far as I know, the 08/2020 status has not changed.

So now we know for sure: No money + no maintenance = Arecibo infrastructure fails.

And I really don't see them getting any help before January 20th. 2021.

Ahh ...

These last four years in The Orange Asshole's™ little hands.

That's the curse.

It will probably keep on giving and giving and giving.

O.

1. herman

Re: What caused it?

Considering that a typical radio telescope is a completely useless piece of infrastructure (a vanity project, like many others), it probably got the amount of maintenance that it deserved.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alien

If your definition of 'useless' is 'anything which makes being human interesting' then yes, it's useless. But I pity you in your grey utilitarian nightmare.

2. oiseau
        Facepalm

Considering that a typical radio telescope is a completely useless ...

Yes?

Don't be daft.

It's not Friday yet.

O.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And I really don't see them getting any help before January 20th. 2021.

And I *DEFINITELY* don't see them getting any help AFTER January 20th. 2021 either. Unless they can paint "Defund the Police" on the dish.

4. PhilipN Silver badge

“not what we wanted to see”

Understatement of the century so far.

5. Conundrum1885

Re. Cable

Not looking good! Whats the odds of the entire dish coming apart before the end of the year?

Also Arecibo is also part of the search for near Earth asteroids so its not just the scientific loss.

6. davcefai
    Coat

What caused it?

Did somebody say "Lowest Bidder"? :-)

Alternatively it may be the effect of 5G radiation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon