back to article Super-antique-fragile-and-it's-XP-alidocious, even though the sight of it is something quite atrocious

What is the name of that thing that keeps clinging on even when everyone seems to agree that the time for it to go has long past? Today, Bork brings you the return of Windows XP. Like a villain in a shlock horror flick, Windows XP has returned from the grave time and time again. The monster to Microsoft's Frankenstein, the …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Ah that explains it.

They get rid of the catalogue and force you to use their bloody awful app / website, then close several hundred stores, all to save upgrading XP.

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

The "book of dreams" indeed...

When I was a kid I used to spend hours going over and comparing their not inconsiderable range of Casio digital watches.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: The "book of dreams" indeed...

Laminated, of course. One wonders how much of the world's micro plastic waste is shredded Argos catalogues from their display stands.

3. JASR

'Sticky fingers'

... I think that's more about reminiscing about perusing the Littlewoods catalogue feminine undergarments section...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

Re: 'Sticky fingers'

That's nothing a colleague of mine declared "Hmm that's tasty!" when flicking through a Lidl's flyer in the middle of said store one lunchtime in Taunton & his eyes caught the flannelette sleepwear section for the & modelled by a slightly older lady.

Icon - A fact we never let him live down.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
        Pint

Re: 'Sticky fingers'

Great album!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No suprise

I work for this company in one of their warehouses. We only upgraded to Windows 7 in 2018! "Yellow sticker" software abounds

5. Blackjack Silver badge

To be fair....

XP got it last update ever in 2019.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: To be fair....

If that is the only this XP install is driving, and has no connection to the outside world, run it into the ground, and budget for a new solution.

6. Adrian 4

Argos catalogue ?

Didn't anyone drool over the Farnell, RS or Maplin catalogues ?

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Maplin catalogue

Oh yes, and I still have in my possession a vintage one from early 1975 full of circuit diagrams and projects at the back, along with note saying that all prices exclude 8% VAT!

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

And the Maplin catalogue cover art.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In a previous job, used to have "Electronics Weekly" or what ever it was called. I was always interested in looking at articles about some electronic component that had released a new range of surface mount capacitors. I only looked at the photos to see how they have jazzed up what is basically a small brown oblong with silver ends, no markings. It was either on a point of a pencil or the edge of a coin....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If you only "read" Electronics Weekly for the pictures then I assume you bought other magazines "only for the articles"

2. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Argos catalogue ?

Yes. I used to steal the RS catalogue from the physics lab to peruse over the weekend. (boarding school)

Which was the catalogue with the HERO robot in the back? Was that RS too?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Heyrick,

"... I used to steal the RS catalogue from the physics lab to peruse over the weekend. (boarding school)"

Your real name is Kryten and I claim my £5 pounds !!! :)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't forget DigiKey and Jameco!

4. dc_m

Learned a huge amount from the old Maplin Catalogues. Used to read it from cover to cover, didn't know what a lot of the things were at the time, but still very interesting.

5. Mage Silver badge
      Windows

Radio Shack, Henrys, Ambit.

7. heyrick Silver badge

To be fair...

If it isn't connected to the outside world, why change XP if it works and does what is required?

1. teknopaul

Re: To be fair...

Showing the boot screen for ten mins to the public counts as "working" and "doing what is required"?

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: To be fair...

So you're saying now is the time to change it?

8. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Dreadful?

XP wasn't isn't dreadful. I still use it in a VM to run old software. Gutted of all the cruft and fully updated to the EOL patch state it runs in at a tiny 5.9Gb. Takes no time at all to pop a copy & run it up. No network connections of course, files on & off by VirtualBox shared folder. Often the copy is simply binned afterwards but I have a couple that get repeatedly used so set to immutable disks. Hellishly fast to boot.

How big would a fully patched up copy of 7 be for those rare tasks? 40 or 50Gb maybe? Haven't a clue how big a minimal 10 install would be as that drove me to get off the Redmond wagon.

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: Dreadful?

Haven't a clue how big a minimal 10 install would be as that drove me to get off the Redmond wagon. Starting Windows sandbox shows a C drive with about 3gig used, so it's possible to have a small lightweight VM......

I expect a proper install is much larger though.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Windows Sandbox replaces files inside the VM which never change on a default Windows install with hardlinks back to the host's C drive, so it's proof if any were needed that modern-day Windows is pretty bloated.

2. Mage Silver badge
      Linux

Yes, I have several XP VMs on Linux. One is an image of my 2002 to 2016 Laptop, only re-installed once in late May 2002. It looks more like NT4.0/Win9x/Win2K than the default XP. Even Win7 (aka Vista SP2) could be decently customised. Win10 is like Win 2.x on Hercules. Or a bad version of Android with windows.

The imaging tool is an MS download to allow compatibility on Win10 by putting a VM of your oldd Windows. Free on MS Website

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd

It actually has three checkboxes, not two. You need to check "For VM" (or something, it's the extra check) and uncheck "Shadow volume"

Works as long as the Windows isn't using EFI boot. I think even if PC is UEFI, if the install used BIOS mode the VM will work.

Might work for Vista and Win7?

Office needs reactivated. But that's a free phone call and a robot with no awkward questions.

I used an subdirectory on an external 1T USB HDD and it runs faster than original. I used the Mint distro VM and installed the Guest Tools (which basically add sound, network, graphics and USB drivers).

Real serial port SW on the XP VM works with a USB serial adaptor on Linux, mapped. Even a Sony USB Web cam unsupported by Linux works. Sadly no way to add the PCMCIA peripherals such as an Adaptec 1460, nor I have I found a solution for Firewire.

Having SCSI on anything other than a desktop with real full PCI slots now seems impossible. Supposed Firewire - USB adaptors like a plug seem to be for stuff that actually really also has USB in it? I can't see how they can work with a DV camera.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

To be honest 6Gb for an OS is not exactly tiny, look at Lubuntu's requirements (and there are smaller distributions than Lubuntu). And I'm being generous by comparing modern-day Lubuntu with 20-years-old XP.

9. StephenTompsett

It appears that to avoid upgrading such systems... They are shutting down all the stores!

1. lybad

They're not closing all the stores. Just the majority.

I'm intrigued what they are going to do in areas like where I live where my nearest Sainsbury's is 15 miles one way, and 45 the other, but still have more places to collect items ordered remotely. On the other hand I have 3 Argos branches about 15 miles away and one about 30.

10. terry 1

ahh, that takes me back

They are running Wyse thin clients. I fitted loads across the South West as part of a Home Retail Group refresh

11. Bogbody

Famous Wisbech

Famous for two things

..... tinned peas capital of the Fen

And

..... electronic components

:-)

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Famous Wisbech

And the base of a lot of kit car manufacturers including the best one - Tiger Racing (biased opinion as I own one and the owners are friends of mine).

Also the founder of the National Trust lived there.

12. Hazmoid

Windows XP is still around in many places.

In fact I recently had a job repairing a programmable cutting saw that used XP embedded. Had to upgrade it to the latest SP to get the management software for the saw to load. since it is internal to the network and all traffic to the internet is blocked, it should be ok.

1. teknopaul

Re: Windows XP is still around in many places.

"all traffic to the Internet is blocked" worrying sounds like it's not airgapped. When was the firewall / router last patched?

2. Neil 44

Re: Windows XP is still around in many places.

All this "modern" stuff...

I sometimes have to do (usually electrical or mechanical) fixes on a pair of industrial washing machines (each about the size of a small bedroom!).

One runs Windows 95 and the other Windows 98.

They are not connected to a network and the OS / application is on an SSD...

13. Dave 126 Silver badge

>We miss the days of fiddling with pens and paper in this particular high street retailer as well as its "Book of Dreams" catalogue,

You can still get your pen and paper fix at Screwfix (or at least you could until these Corona days)

1. 080

Corona days

Now, that takes me back, I worked for Corona during the school holidays in the mid 60's

2. Giles C Silver badge

If you ask nicely you should be able to get a paper catalogue, I much prefer it when I’m not sure exactly what I need as the website doesn’t really allow you to search for pipe fitting reducer thingy for 15 to 22 mm plastic pipe - which I needed a couple of weeks ago...

14. Mike 137 Silver badge

Is this a religion already?

Funny how the latest version of Windows is saintly and use of previous versions is mortal sin. Even XP was saintly while it was current, wasn't it?

Quite apart from which, crashing is not unique to obsolete systems, and lack of bug fixes merely means one has to be more careful how one deploys and maintains them.

As a matter of interest, a $6,000 audio analyser (one of the very best in the world) runs on embedded XP, but what's the point of changing it? It doesn't connect to public networks and does its job perfectly.

We should remember that every single version of every OS and application ever released has been retired before it was entirely bug free. The current version of everything will be just the same.

15. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Nothing wrong

If the OS is used purely for signage and not connected to the internet in any way than I don't see anything wrong with still using it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Nothing wrong

But it was borked so needs to be fixed

1. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

Re: Nothing wrong

True, but that doesn't mean that's a bad choice. Sure, there are plenty of Linux signage distros these days, but for non-computer-savvy people that's simply a bridge too far.

Retail isn't exactly rife with savvy IT personnel so I can imagine them just keeping something that they know works and can fix themselves.

16. adam payne

Like a villain in a shlock horror flick, Windows XP has returned from the grave time and time again. The monster to Microsoft's Frankenstein, the dreadful thing simply refuses to die.

I have a customer that still has a Windows 95 machine (HP Vectra VE7) connected to an instrument via NIC that uses NetBEUI. I'll take an XP machine any day of the week.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Brilliant headline.

Nothing more to add.

18. spireite Silver badge

M & S till borked the other day....

Hung, rebooted by staff just as I got there with the glorious XP boot screen..........

and I trust my credit card through this thing???

19. tin 2

Of course we also need to accept (I am sure most wont and await mass downvotage) that Windows 7,8 and 10 only actually exist to prize more money out of your hands. Sure there's some back end stuff that might be a bit of hell to transplant, but Win 10 aint actually so far from XP that we've had to fork for 3 supposedly completely new products in the interim.

It's a gravy train and most of us are on it.

20. Roger Kynaston

How many outdated linux devices

It would be likely to find 2.2 kernels out there I should imagine though perhaps less likely to feature on this strand of Reg fun since they are more likely buried in some university physics lab than in a shop.

21. Danny 2

Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious

The Sun remain tops for headline puns when Inverness Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic, but the Ayrshire Daily News just came up with a good one:

South Ayrshire Golf club owner loses 2020 presidential election

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like