back to article Japanese eggheads strap AI-powered backpacks to seagulls

Tiny monitoring devices, strapped to birds, used artificial intelligence to work smarter, it is claimed. Computer scientists and ornithologists at Japan's Osaka, Nagoya, and Tohoku universities even went as far as saying the gadgets formed the world’s first “first AI-enabled bio-logger” experiment. The team designed and built …

1. Chris G

Flying rats

Along with feral pigeons.

Perhaps they can use this tech to find a way to stop the bastards dive bombing my fish and chips when strolling down the pier?

Cue the gulls in the Nemo film; mine! Mine! Mine!

1. Kubla Cant

Re: Flying rats

Maybe it could emit a Stuka-like wail when the AI detects chip-bombing behaviour.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps they can use this tech to find a way to stop the bastards dive bombing my fish and chips when strolling down the pier?

The seaguls have been trained that people walking around with packets of fish and chips are worth snatching as they are nice and tasty. Just do some retraining; find something seaguls find disgusting and spread plenty over a bunch of chips and take them around for the seaguls to snatch.

After a while the seagulls will presumably decide that actually, they don't want to go for packets of fish and chips.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Angel

Marmite?

2. K

IF <something> THEN <do> ELSE <not>

Call me a skeptic.. But checking the values of GPS, altimeter and accelerometer hardly constitute AI..

1. b0llchit Silver badge
      Meh

Re: IF <something> THEN <do> ELSE <not>

Well, they actually did do a bit more work than a simple if-then-else. The accelerometer data is munged in a pre-calculated network and the simple output is used in an if-then-else decision tree.

Then again, he system is not in danger of becoming self-aware any time soon. It could also be argued that you can do the classification differently using some other math. But hey, they managed to get a pretty well working system and a publicity boost for the next round of funding. All the right words-of-the-time were used properly. What is not to be appreciated with such a result? They even got a good bit of science out of it.

1. Arctic fox
        Terminator

Re: ......system is not in danger of becoming self-aware any time soon..

Gullnet became self-aware on August 29, 2097. The event, known as Judgement Day, caused humans to panic and attempt to shut down the system. They failed and the entire planet was buried in a layer of guano 10 m deep.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Re: ......system is not in danger of becoming self-aware any time soon..

Surely it was called Judge-MINE-t Day?

2. DJO Silver badge

"AI" is an impressively vague term, it covers everything from adaptive decision trees (which is probably what we have here) to Hal, Marvin the Paranoid Android or a Culture Ship Mind.

Differentiation is usually from "weak" to "strong" AI, this is an example of weak AI, there are as yet no examples of strong AI and with current architecture it seems unlikely to be developed soon which is why all my examples are from fiction.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I'm not convinced it's even weak AI. After all, it's an 8-bit CPU running everything. I suspect it's purely a pre-built model and there is no learning going on at all, just a flying equivalent of Eliza. They may well have done some learning from datasets on the ground to optimise the decision tree though.

1. DJO Silver badge

Well Eliza is an adaptive decision tree but you're right, I should have said:

"Differentiation is usually from "weak" to "strong" AI, this is at best an example of weak AI"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

use AI to determine if they really do shite when they spot a load of washing hanging on the line

4. Commswonk

Warning...

Is this nothing more than a way of selling something AI to the gullible?

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Warning...

Possibly. If they over-promise on the AI capability and can't deliver then it could be become an albatross around someone's neck.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

In that case they'll just have to work harder until they tern the corner.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

I understand the code is written in Auk and any tricky development decisions were made by applying Occam's Razorbill.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Groan. Somehow I knew this article would have a load of fowl comments.

5. KittenHuffer Silver badge

The really important question ...

I want to know where the seagulls go to get their backpacks recharged?!?

Or have the eggheads just scattered induction loops all over the place? Perhaps they've trained the seagulls to dive bomb the mag-lev trains to get a quick inductive battery boost! Have they trained eagles to swoop in and change the batteries on the wing?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The really important question ...

Nah, they just perch on the HT powerlines found everywhere (except at sea)

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Re: The really important question ...

> where the seagulls go to get their backpacks recharged?!?

Maybe they all have Nest chargers?

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

AI on an arduino? kinda doubt it

> the gizmos, each containing a video camera, an accelerometer, GPS unit, and a Microchip ATmega328P 8-bit microcontroller.

Though as a marketing ploy for the gull-ible <groan> it probably works.

However, given this sort of report on the shortcomings of AI powered cameras, I hope the people behind this project have kept their expectations as low as humanly possible.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: AI on an arduino? kinda doubt it

If an Arduino isn't up to the job, is it a case of Pi in the sky?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI

“Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to monitor seagulls. Call that job satisfaction, 'cause I don't.”

8. Big Eck

Probably a useful tool to find and demonstrate where and how much rubbish we leave on our streets and which landfill sites gulls use to feed as a substitute for everything they once ate that we've wiped out.

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Now we can have AI-powered seagull managers. Flap in. Flap around. Shit over everything. Flap out.

10. Kurt 5

When I first read the title I my brain read "Jetpacks" instead of "backpacks".

11. Jay Lenovo
    Big Brother

Spy vs Spy

Just what the world needs, birds with cameras.

Now every secure goverment site will require a patrol of Owls or maybe a "Falcon Force" to fend off the little spies.

12. Graham Newton

A relative who is an atmospheric scientist has used homing pigeons and drones to sample the atmosphere in various parts of the UK and the World. He said they did try gulls but having caught them and strapped the gear on them they were very reluctant to be caught again when trying to to get the gear back. A cross seagull is not to be taken lightly apparently!

13. Scott 53

Just a matter of time

Put AI on sharks -> put AI in sharks -> AI works out how to add lasers to sharks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like