back to article Huawei bid to move chip production in-house so it can survive US sanctions will start with a 45nm process – report

Huawei is reportedly aiming to move chip fabrication in-house for its battered telecoms infrastructure business in a move that will allow it to continue trading without falling afoul of ongoing US sanctions. The embattled Chinese biz is said to be partnering with Shanghai IC R&D Center – a government-backed nonprofit founded …

1. Duncan Macdonald

Hopefully tomorrow will see an end to the biggest problem

If the Americans can manage a bit of sanity then Trump will not get a second term.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Hopefully tomorrow will see an end to the biggest problem

Don't want to alarm you, but he was predicted to lose last time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Duncan Macdonald - Re: Hopefully tomorrow will see an end to the biggest problem

I'd really like to agree with you but that's not possible. Even the most decent future president will not be willing or able to give back the immense amount of power grabbed by US under Donald Trunp's reign, unless of course he won't mind to be looked upon down a rifle barrel from a school book depository window.

2. StephenTompsett

Having been bitten, the Chinese will rapidly develop the required technology to lead the world.

1. Aitor 1

People don´t learn on others mistakes

Russia tried to play by our rules.. we pushed sanctions.. now sanctions on China, and in general anyone who does not play by US rules, including the EU.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: People don´t learn on others mistakes

OK< but look how FAR more efficient they have become when it comes to writing code - IMHO a direct and predictable result of being prevented from having the more powerful gear.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Stephen Tompsett - I don't see them leading the world

but I can see them living comfortably which would be quite an acomplishment when the whole planet is against you.

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: @Stephen Tompsett - I don't see them leading the world

but I can see them living comfortably which would be quite an acomplishment when the whole planet is against you.

Who we on about here? America or China?? ;)

1. Kabukiwookie

Re: @Stephen Tompsett - I don't see them leading the world

With the current US economy, I don't see any possibility of the majority of people living comfortably, so he must be talking about China.

3. Yes Me Silver badge
      FAIL

Trump's great gift to China

Yes. There's no doubt that Trump has given China (not just Huawei) the strongest possible motivation for developing a complete chip supply chain. It will take them a few years, but it will definitely Make China Great Again. About the worst possible thing Trump could have done for American hi-tech.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Trump's great gift to China

Disrupting the supply chain is something that the current Administration hasn't a clue about. Complex product production requires sourcing technoglogy from a huge variety of sources with the specific decision about what to get and from whom being part of the build/buy tradeoff. By artifciially moving that tradeoff the US government has set in motion a chain of events that will eventually result in a significant and permanent loss of business for US companies. It has wider repercussions than just Huawei as well -- if I was a non-US maunfacturer interested in sourcing parts globally and I had a choice between an Amercan part and a non-American one the choice would be obvious -- non-Aermican because the supply chain would not run the risk of being disrupted by arbitrary government actions.

Another loser in this is likely to be Apple. Apple has done well in China for its 'bling' factor, a cool brand, Because of the assault on Huawei, a company that literally means "Chinese promise" or some such, is really an assault on China. Owning an iPhone isn't likely to be seen as very patriotic (and since the local product is actually better in some respects and often a lot cheaper it actually pays to be patriotic).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They won't be able to get the trust back, and rightly so !

3. FIA Silver badge

Goading your customers on being less reliant on you seems an odd business practice.

4. NeilPost Silver badge

45mm

A partnership with Intel seems ideal then!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 45mm

45mm? I dunno, nearly a couple of inches sounds pretty bad to me. Even Intel aren't *that* far behind!

5. EnviableOne

No Option

TBF they dont have a choice

They have the resources to rapidly, reach and surpass SMIC and possibly challenge TSMC, but untill now with access to TSMC, the investment needed would have been un-necesary, but with the loss of acess to TSMC, they have little other option.

Give it a couple of years and TSMC will have another rival

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have the US leaned on the Dutch yet?

I'm sadly out-of-date when it comes to chip-fabrication equipment, but I thought that the only company offering tools capable of producing the highest resolution was ASML (of the Netherlands). With ASML's equipment, Huawei could build a state-of-the-art fab (if they could afford it). Without it? No chance.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Have the US leaned on the Dutch yet?

Give the Chinese a couple of years and they won't need ASML either. In another couple of years, ASML will be out of business as the Chinese will create better and cheaper tools. And for some reason, I think after that, the Chinese will be very reluctant to sell the best to the rest of the world, including and especially the USA.

7. Tempest
    FAIL

U.S. Policy aka Cut Off Your Nose to Spite Your Face

China and the USA need each other, one for the business and the other for loan money. The problem ís ego /prowess. Britain stupidly (IMO) left the EU whilst other countries continue to form trade blocks. The thankfully dead British and French 'Empires' were essentially 'trading blocks'.

The USA has long used trade to pressure countries, both directly and indirectly, to modify some action. The only trouble ís the USA is rapidly becoming a 'has been' which ís losing it's bargaining chíps. At one time the US held the monopoly on Nuclear Weapons, rockets, satellites, aeronautical instrumentation, etc., nơw every Tom, Dick and Harry has them.

By limiting China's access to certain technologies / products only results in it creating a new business / industry which will, after a few years, become competitors.

Remember, the present generation of sharp Chinese engineers / technicians / scientists are the children / grandchildren of dirt farmers. Who knew that the largest generating dam, Three Gorges Dam, a dam that literally changed the world, would rise 60 years after the Korean War same from the same old dirt farmer stock. Less than 50 years ago, following the American War in VietNam, VN was a total wreck, in fact for a period of time the power used to be turned off and city dwellers told to find their own food in the fields, yet look at it now - booming. So much for the "Domino Effect".

The older, graying, generation of Western 'leaders' would be wise to study history. Hopefully Biden, aided by a younger generation, will steer a better course.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like