back to article TikTok wins right to stay in America past current Art of the Deal deadline on November 12th

A group of TikTok users have won a case that will mean the made-in-China social network can keep operating in the United States beyond the November 12th deadline the Trump administration set for it to secure a locally-owned operator. TikTok users Douglas Marland, Cosette Rinab and Alec Chambers convinced the US District Court …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Oh no!

The USA is in instant danger now a bunch of teenagers (and those that wish they were) will dance to 30 music clips.

BTW have you seen that Elvis fellow? Gyrating his hips on TV, the country is in immediate peril! As for this "Jazz" music, with "Negros" mixing with WHITE women, it's the end I tell you the end!

As for those Chinese, we need to ban their opium dens, in fact if we ban opium, that will show those evil foreigners!

Don't even get me started on booze....if we ban that, all our problems will be solved!

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Oh no!

in fact if we ban opium, that will show those evil foreigners!

Indeed. We need citizens to get addicted to prescription drugs to shore up the profits of the sector.

2. Mellipop

prevent key tech?

Can someone explain to me what key tech TikTok might have?

It does swipe left and right just like dating apps; tinder bumble & hinge.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: prevent key tech?

The ability to send your data to China instead of Google / Facebook & the NSA?

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Isn't it swipe up / down on TikTok, which probably counts as a new enforceable patent.

3. Tom 38

It has an AI component for recommending what other things you might be interested in, which works well enough that people want it for other things. That all sits on the backend, and neither TikTok nor China are keen on other people having it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

Indeed. That's what the bidders for TikTok were after. The customer list and data were secondary.

Now come more appeals. Sigh.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The customer list and data were secondary."

Not necessarily. Some of those users (i.e. the product, not customers) managed to piss somebody off and he couldn't find out who they were.

4. Chris G

It turns young people and others into vacuous,shuffle dancers, whose only aim in life is to assault the world with 30 second bites in the hope they will achieve fame and total vacuity.

It's become remarkably successful in a very short amount of time and poses a threat to America's dominance in the mental vacuum industry.

Nothing should be allowed to overshadow Twitter!

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Really ? They actually earn their living on TikTok ?

If I could be arsed to go check that out, I'd be curious to know what they do to earn money on that platform.

Plus, they could obviously transfer their videos to YouTube. Plenty of people earning a living there.

But hey, they convinced a judge and that's good enough for me.

It's amazing what the Internet is up to these days.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Really ? They actually earn their living on TikTok ?

Sponsorship.

If you have 5 million followers, someone is going to pay a lot of money for you to endorse their product.

Here is such an example

https://youtu.be/8lgLYGBbDNs

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reason for banning TikTok is quite clear; Tweens and Teens used it to humiliate the orange shite-gibbon. For those who missed it, the children organized themselves and reserved tickets to a Trump rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This was a 19200 seat arena with an outdoor overflow area... and only a little over 6000 people actually showed up. Der Trumpster really really doesn't like people laughing at him. We won't even get into Stormy Daniels and Trump's Mushroom Manhood.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reality is that it no longer matters. The election is tomorrow, the orange menace will be voted out, and this bit of silliness that made fun of him will be forgotten.

I mean, it's either that or we become a fascist dictatorship, in which case I'll probably be disappeared and killed.

1. sev.monster Silver badge

If you unironically think the Trump administration and platform is reminiscent in any way of fascism, I'd love to disappear you to Mussolini's Italy for a week. See how you fare there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like