back to article Sun goes eco-friendly with data center compression

Sun Microsystems has been showing off it knows how to build an eco-friendly, efficient data center in the hope it can scare up a little business helping other companies cope with their own inefficient centers. The server and operating system company has done this as it moves and consolidates a center that it inherited through …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jan

FIrst thing I noticed on the photo

First thing I noticed on the photo was the big p595 on the left. And thats not exactly a server manufactured by SUN.

Smart choice of a photo, really...

2. Steven Jones

questionable canine connections

"If this isn't eating your own dog food, then is at least living in its own dog house. And, not coincidentally, it's trying to get out of the dog house"

This being a coincidence entirely of the autor's own making by moving from an IT cliche via a tenuous link to a dog house to another cliche. Not to mention the inconsistent notion of it (presumably) being a good thing living in your own dog house whilst simultaneously trying to leave it to please others.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Not true.......

There are 2 containers @ the sca data center.

Possibly for rif collection?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or is that a mainframe?

Could be an IBM p5-595 or it could (more likely) be an IBM z9 mainframe. Both would help Sun reduce its server count significantly more than its own gear!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Non-Sun Servers in Broomfield

Consolidate first. Replace second.

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: FIrst thing I noticed on the photo & Or is that a mainframe?

As mentioned in the text of the article, Sun cannot run their business without using mainframes, which just goes to show the limits to what can be done with Sun kit. At a guess, I'd bet that's probably the shot which showed the least non-Sun kit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like