back to article Trump's official campaign website vandalized by hackers who 'had enough of the President's fake news'

Donald Trump's presidential campaign website was briefly hacked and defaced tonight. The site, donaldjtrump.com, was replaced with a message parodying the domain-name seizures typically announced by Uncle Sam's agents against crooks and terrorists. It claimed, alongside US government seals, "this site was seized" because "the …

1. Danny 2

Spreadeded

Hey look, a squirrel! Those Russians really have it in for Trump.

I am Joe Biden and I approve this message.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spreadeded

Come on man!

I'm Joe Biden and I approve of anything which stops George Bush having four more years.

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

Re: Spreadeded

I'm Brian and so is my wife

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I approve of anything which stops George Bush having four more years.

Forgetting someone's name is definitely on a par with suggesting we inject bleach.

Who of us can honestly say we haven't got someone familiar's name wrong at some point, or suggested injecting toxic substances to cure a disease that isn't really happening any more? I know I have.

There are some very fine people on both sides, eh?

And a dementia test is a form of IQ test!

1. conel

He was talking about UV light, which is a disinfectant and is being developed as a treatment. Claims that he recommended injecting bleach are... fake news.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Gas, Gas, Gas !!!!!

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

A treatment for what? Not having skin cancer and/or cataracts?

I think pretty much everyone has, by now, seen or heard the original claims made by The Orange One in that press conference. We can all see what he said, and we can all fact-check those words to see that he was not making verifiable scientific claims...

3. Anonymous Coward
            Pirate

Claims that he recommended injecting bleach are... fake news.

Well, let's see about that shall we?

So I asked Bill a question some of you are thinking of if you're into that world, which I find to be pretty interesting. So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous, whether its ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said, that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it. And then I said, supposing it brought the light inside the body, which you can either do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're gonna test that too, sounds interesting. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that. So you're going to have to use medical doctors, but it sounds interesting to me, so we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it goes in one minute, that's pretty powerful.

(My emphasis, Donald Trump's words.)

So, well, either you're lying, or you're not up to rather simple internet searches. I'll take lying.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

All discussed here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52399464

Trump said "So it'd be interesting to check that [IV disinfectant]. Only low information Rats tried bleach by mouth.

Last week a dentist was suggesting mouthwash kills COVID-19 in the mouth region - and some stays active for some time after most has been spat out.

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

you're lying, or you're not up to rather simple internet searches"

The mindless barely comprehensible ramblings of the Trump hardly constitutes a "recommendation"

" So it'd be interesting to check that"

It translates as "Here's a crazy idea that im going to ask the sane people to check for me"

4. Rich 11

Claims that he recommended injecting bleach are... fake news.

You are absolutely right here: he merely recommended drinking bleach. It was the UV light he wanted to see "got inside the body somehow".

2. redpawn

Fake News!

Trump security is far too good for this to have happened. Trump only hires the very best to work for his administration.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: quality hires

You mean his children?

Or the cronies kissing his arse?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Madness of King Donald.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'king Donald - FTFY

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Donald I << Il Duchie >>

1. Rich 11

Pass Il Duce on the left-hand side.

3. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: King Donald

He can't be a King, America is not a Kingdom.

America is a Country.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

America is an uppity colony.

FTFY

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Tell that to Elvis!

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

Empire: Emperor

Kingdom: King

America is a Country.

well we know who rules countries (with apologies to Kenny Everett)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Por que no las dos?

Barron probably read wordpress for dummies while he was sick.

1. macjules

Doubt it. He is far too busy reading. "So you are growing up with both parents in Federal Custody?"

3. Kane
        Boffin

"You mean his children?

Or the cronies kissing his arse?"

The two are not mutually exclusive.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well, he does like to sexualise his offspring. (One of them at least.)

4. Simian Surprise
        Joke

Doesn't say *what* they're the best at...

2. WonkoTheSane
      1. katrinab Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

Re: Fake News!

I thought it was Maga2020!

1. Mike 16

Re: Fake News!

Surely you do not suggest that a stable genius would use the same password on both his website and his twitter account?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump site faked

Who, pray tell, can tell the difference?

I suppose Hunter Biden did it...

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: Trump site faked

I suppose Hunter Biden did it

My reputable "deep throat" said it was Melania.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which is to say your source is Meliana, and she just said that she did it? One of the dumbest criminal empires in modern times.

Based on the stuff they just do out in the open, I really fear what will be showing up on the history channel a decade from now.

2. Snake Silver badge

Melania. Deep throat. [Trump].

From the notes of Stormy Daniels, I don't think those 3 words ever get used in the same sentence.

1. sanmigueelbeer

I don't think those 3 words ever get used in the same sentence

I dunno with you but I want to see those three people get into a room. I bet only two will walk out alive. And no, both of them will not have an orange hair/toupee/rag on their heads.

4. GraXXoR

Seems legit... ;-)

Though to be honest, pretty much anything can seem legit these days. It's sometimes hard to tell fact from fiction anymore.

Which, I guess was the point all along.

1. Teiwaz

Though to be honest, pretty much anything can seem legit these days. It's sometimes hard to tell fact from fiction anymore.

It all seems fiction to me these days.

From the lightest of political spins to the grossest outright lies of corporate marketeers.

We're swimming in an excess of fallacy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A sign of the times

Even if there is a landslide for Biden old Comb-over won't go quietly. Watch this TED talk on how he can legally remain as POTUS even if the vote goes against him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZWRhLW7Y8w

The world could be stuck with him for another 4 or 8 or shudder 12 years. The way he has packed the SCOTUS means that no real challenge to him stands a chance of getting approved. Trump only cares about Trump and how much filthy lucre him being POTUS can make his clan. That is the heart of the matter.

He wants higher ratings for his clan of dumbos than that other media obcessed clan the K****'s.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A sign of the times

It’s sad that The only credible challenge America has come out with is Biden.

American voters have a pool of 2 terrible choices.

I wouldn’t vote for either of them.

1. First Light

Yes BIden is a huge disappointment for anyone not a member of the DNC. Some of us still had to vote for him to stop the other one. It was those who DIDN'T vote in 2016 that caused the current disaster.

But wherever we are, aren't we often voting against one person/party rather than for another? A British friend reluctantly voted for Labour because she hated Alex Johnson and didn't want Brexit. But she wasn't happy about it.

1. Kane

"A British friend reluctantly voted for Labour because she hated Alex Johnson and didn't want Brexit."

Who is Alex Johnson?

1. WonkoTheSane
            Headmaster

Prime Minister Boris Johnson's full name is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

AKA BoJo the clown

1. Robert Moore
                Coat

That's offensive to clowns.

2. Danny 2

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeffel_family

The Pfeffel family (ennobled as von Pfeffel) is a German and Bavarian family originally from Neuburg an der Donau in Bavaria. Some family members were ennobled in Bavaria in the 19th century.

[I heard they inbred with the Drumpfs]

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Deport the lot of them back to Germany.

Send the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas back with them.

And make them take the Queen of Carnage and Farage when they go, so that the Germans can be appropriately punished for having inflicted BoJo and Queen Liz and family on the long-suffering British public.

Britain for Britons! Germans out!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Britain for Britons!"

You mean the Welsh, Cornish & Picts?

1. First Light

Don't forget the Bretons - NW France is known as Bretagne. True Brits!

1. WolfFan Silver badge

They’re French. Kick them out, too.

2. WolfFan Silver badge

That’ll work. Kick all them Germans out. Including the Angles and Saxons.

Britain for Britons!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

And the Scots. They're Dalriada from Ireland.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I though "Boris" was an American of Turkish descent ?

2. Anonymous Custard
        Big Brother

Welcome to politics worldwide.

Pick the least-worst to vote for and despair...

1. sitta_europea Silver badge

"Pick the least-worst to vote for ..."

Don't vote. It only encourages them.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'd vote Trump, but only because we know what we're getting with that idiot.

Biden is senile and just as corrupt as Trump, Harris is frankly bonkers and there so when Biden is elected and pushed aside due to lack of capacity she can become the first female president.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well, I think there is one crucial difference that's going to matter a LOT in the coming years: one discredits scientists, the other listens to them.

Given the current Civid19 problem, that makes it a choice between suicide or possibly finding a way to finally get a handle on this thing. If you really plan to vote for suicide I suggest you don't bother and jump out of a window instead - it's quicker.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
            Boffin

> Listens to scientists

> Won't ban fracking

Pick one.

2. Someone Else Silver badge

@ AC -- Re: A sign of the times

If you really plan to vote for suicide I suggest you don't bother and jump out of a window instead - it's quicker.

…and less collateral damage...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'd vote Trump, but only because we know what we're getting with that idiot.

If Trump was POTUS for another 4 years, he is a lamp duck president because he can't stand again in 2024 according to the constitution. Because of that, even a number of diehard GOP people are scared of what damage he could do in 4 years. Some are openly saying that the hope to lose control of congress if he does get reelected. At least then, an impeachment might happen but of course, the GOP packed SCOTUS will make sure that he become effective president for life just like his pal Putin.

I'm sure the founding fathers didn't expect a madman like Trump to ever get elected in the first place. But the numpties (white, male, non-college educated) that make up a huge chunk of his electorate will be out in force for another 4/8/12 years.

Most of the outside world is watching the 'Trump Show' destroy a once proud nation.

1. John 104

@AC

"Most of the outside world is watching the 'Trump Show' destroy a once proud nation."

Yes, because the democrats have had nothing to do with fomenting violence in cities, stripping constitutional rights, and spreading their own version of lies to get what they want.

Regarding impeachment, you need more than just a temper tantrum that you lost, a bogus dossier and a dislike for someone to remove them from office. Otherwise it just makes you look petty and immature.

Not sure what Kook-Aid some of you are drinking, but there is no way that Trump or any other president changes the law to extend their presidency beyond 2 consecutive terms. Congress won't stand for it no matter who is in the Oval Office, and the military certainly won't.

We have two choices in the US for president this term. Neither of them are worth a damn. The republicans couldn't do any better than Trump in '16 because they aren't a unified party. The dems, while being a unified party, couldn't do any better than HRC in '16. Now we have the same issue with the incumbent and the dems could only put up Biden/Harris because they freaked out when Sanders was going to win the ticket. Again, both lousy choices. A Biden presidency really just means a Harris presidency and it is pretty transparent that that is the goal.

In the end, the US suffers and erodes a little more, and the US citizen is the victim.

1. ThomH

On the one hand, anybody literate enough to know the difference between fomenting and fermenting obviously doesn't only read right-wing media, but based on evidence and facts:

1. Democrats have had nothing to do with fomenting violence in cities, or with stripping constitutional rights;

2. Trump's impeachment occurred as a result of the findings contained within the Mueller Report, whom you might recall as the lifelong Republican appointed to the task by Rod Rosenstein, whom you might recall was appointed to Deputy Attorney General by President Donald Trump.

Although I might have forgotten the golden rule there: if you don't like it, squawk about Democrats.

So I'm unclear what losing you're accusing Trump and Rosenstein of. Although one might suggest: dignity, American prestige, the rule of law, the parents of 545 migrant children, 25% of the lives lost to COVID worldwide from a population of 4%, they hope: health coverage for those with preexisting conditions, and 18 of their friends so far to jail.

But, spoiler for those outside the US who think this is simple: Trump still has a decent chance of a second term. Even the absolute most pessimistic forecast I've seen amongst those doing actual numbers, and which I cherry picked to make this point, gives him 1 in 9.

Yeah, though, his jokes about a third term are designed for effect and if you think there's a serious chance of any attempt at that then probably you need to stop reading the crazies on the other side.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Alien

[...] he can't stand again in 2024 according to the constitution [...]

oh very good you are very funny yes.

3. Thicko

I would never vote Trump precisely because I know what we got last time!

4. Trollslayer

Not at all sexist.

5. Hollerithevo

Harris is bonkers? In what way? She's centrist/slightly to the right in everything she's ever done, slightly more pro-police, and obviously, having been a prosecutor, pretty tough on crime. She seems organised and articulate, even if you don't like what she is saying. Give some examples of where she showed herself to be deranged. Otherwise it's as if you grabbed some one-size-fits-all and tried to wrap her up in it and throw her away, which means your comment is valueless.

1. Drew Scriver

It seems that many of her actions have been mostly based on political calculations and not on her personal convictions.

Although she has not explicitly stated that she supports abortions up to the moment of birth, she has made it very clear that she opposes any restrictions - even past the age of viability.

Even in the more progressive European countries a viable fetus is legally considered a person and certain legal protections are therefore extended to the unborn. At the federal level in the USA personhood is not granted until birth.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
              Holmes

Re: many of her actions have been mostly based on political calculations

And when has any politician ever done differently?

2. Drew Scriver

Curious about all the downvotes.

I assume it's because of the portion about Harris' stance on abortion rights and/or the legal rights of a viable fetus in the US vs. some progressive European countries (like the Netherlands). However, those are verifiable facts and not opinions on my part. The reason I added them was to indicate that Harris cannot truly be considered a moderate.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Harris is frankly bonkers"

less bonkers than Pence?

7. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

when Biden is elected and pushed aside due to lack of capacity she can become the first female president

... meaning that the people who hates Hillary really should vote for Biden and crush her ambitions :).

Actually, I am more worried about those cray-cray Christian cultists that are oozing into the corridors of power.

I would be genuinely concerned about, say, a Pompeo or Pence getting close to the nuclear button, given that they view the apocalypse as a) A Good Thing, B) An opportunity to be beamed up on little lightbeams or unicorns thus C) Personally avoiding The Tribulations (that they are helping to kick off with perma-wars and fossil burning).

There are probably even worse tentacled horrors lurking in the darker corners of the US State Dept!!

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

America has a choice between a unhinged narcissist and a senile kiddie fondler. In the end the result is going to be closer than it should be due to the arrogance and incompetence of the DNC.

1. Trollslayer

And Trump fondling under age beauty queens isn't?

Between "a unhinged narcissist and a senile kiddie fondler" and whom?

What, you mean that wasn't just the description of the current sitting tenant?

I think that before we go off accusing anyone of being a "kiddie fondler" we should probably check to make sure we have some evidence to back that claim too. So perhaps we should replace that phrase with "serial adulterer, misogynist and accused rapist" to fit with known facts?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Biden has a history of inappropriate touching of women and children, many of which have been caught on camera which you can see for yourself with a cursory search.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
              WTF?

"inappropriate touching of women and children, many of which have been caught on camera"

Nope, didn't find any.

Surely you can post at least two videos where he inappropriately touches someone.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Surely you can post at least two videos where he inappropriately touches someone."

The ones usually pointed out are where he hugs his granddaughter at his son's funeral

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

There's a same kind of smear campaign in the Bob Roberts mockumentary where a cropped image of the incumbent senator seems to be reaching for a girl's ass and the unaltered picture shows something else. Recommended viewing.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

A compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4PLSPvJ9BY

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Where in there does he touch someone inappropriately?

Or is any touching now considered inappropriate in the US? WTF?

5. MrReynolds2U

Douche and Turd Sandwich anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN9roEZr1T8

6. Dazed and Confused

As the late great DNA said

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"

Pretty much like the last UK election, it seems most people voted again the person they least wanted because we don't have an option to say "You're a load of useless bloody loonies!" and ship them off somewhere on a B Ark.

1. Stuart 18

Re: Ahem Jo Swinson

We kinda sorta have a three party system...

Just a real shame Clegg's pact with the devil failed to get proportional representation but allowed a small majority in a minority of voters to bankrupt a successful trading block...

There should always be an alternative choice we need a centrist solution.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahem Jo Swinson

We kinda sorta have a three party system...

Sadly not enough people believed in the credibility of "the third choice"

Just a real shame Clegg's pact with the devil failed to get proportional representation

One thing we have learned in the recent votes is that while the "third choice" professes to want PR they refuse to accept the result of the one PR vote we've had.

a small majority

People who didn't vote can't complain when the wrong lizard gets in.

A majority is a majority no matter what size.

I, and I suspect from your comment, you, feel that the majority made a mistake, but that is their right. We can't give everyone the vote and then decide that only those who agree with us should be allowed to exercise that right. It would probably help if those in power or wishing to be, didn't piss off so many ordinary voters with the result that many just want to break things.

There should always be an alternative choice we need a centrist solution.

Sadly too few people in the middle seem to care enough to get up and present a convincing argument to get themselves elected. Perhaps it's difficult to sound passionate about being in the middle, even if that's more or less where the majority of people are or at least would prefer to be nearer the middle than either extreme.

7. willyslick

when faced with such a dilemma - maybe go for the lesser of the two evils?

1. Stoneshop
          Devil

maybe go for the lesser of the two evils?

Bah. Just vote Chtulhu.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Nah, I'm not voting for tRump....

8. Victor Ludorum
        Unhappy

I think there are over 1,200 candidates running for President. Admittedly some (most) of them are unlikely to get the required number of votes.

See BBC article

2. veti Silver badge

Just because judges were nominated by Trump, doesn't mean they'll automatically vote for him. Gorsuch has already shown signs of independence, and there's no reason to suppose the others will be more loyal. There's no reason why they would be - they're beyond his touch now, he can neither fire nor reward them any more.

If Trump tries to defy the election result, he'll be frogmarched out of the building by the secret service. I imagine that would be quite a popular video on YouTube. He knows this.

Of course some of his supporters may not give up easily, but without his support there's not much he can do. And if he overtly supports armed rebellion, he'll be arrested and charged with treason. He knows this, too.

1. Danny 2

Upvoted for optimism.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

I think I said last year that it's 50/50 whether the US will end up like Gilead. Nothing's happened since then to make me change my mind.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

RAH predicted it in 1939 - "If This Goes On". From the right side of the pond, it's been looking more and more prophetic for years.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Sadly, whatever happens in Trumpistan also affects the civilized world.

2. Hollerithevo

That has been in my head for the last four years. I do wonder if Atwood had read it too. But it's easy to extrapolate religious tyranny from any time in US history, except perhaps the 19-oughties and the 1960s.

3. Rich 11

You think the predictions only go back to 1939? I can beat that by four years.

1. ICL1900-G3

Far from his best work, but remarkably prescient.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

I think it's looking more like "It can't happen here" - where Buzz Windrup is in the Oval Office right now

2. SotarrTheWizard

Really ?? Looking at a particularly overblown novel as the future pattern of .us ?

If you haven't noticed. Evangelcals have nowhere as much of the political push as they had in the 1980s. when the "Moral Majority" and "Christian Coalition" were ascendant in Republican politics. . . .

People identifying as 'religious' are down, as well as membership in churches. . .

1. Trollslayer

It is worth remembering that a quarter of US citizens are Evangelical Christians.

THAT is scary.

1. SotarrTheWizard

It used to be ~40%.

I also will be polite and not point out the large, bearded elephant in the room with a Kalishnikov. But the French will. . .

1. Hollerithevo

Muslims are 1.1% of the US population. Are you suggesting that they are about to take over and establish a caliphate in D.C.?

1. SotarrTheWizard

I will note beheadings in .us, .uk, and .fr, all within the last year or two. Charlie Hebdo, and again with than concert in Paris. Trucks running down pedestrians. Bombings.

Let me know when we get similar activity from the "Christian Fundamentalists". . . .

1. First Light

You are waaaay off-topic and bigoted to boot.

2. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Christian terrorists? Northern Ireland, through much of the 70s and 80s, and possibly starting up again now thanks to Brexit. Many, many times more killed by the (US-funded) IRA back then. Go back far enough and you get things like Salem witch trials, the Inquisition, and the Crusades. Religious nutcases are not confined to any one religion.

3. veti Silver badge

You mean like in Colorado Springs, November 2015? Columbus, OH, March 2016? St Louis, MO, 2019? Escondido. CA, March 2019? Pittsburg, PA, October 2018?

And that's just in the USA.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Let me know when we get similar activity from the "Christian Fundamentalists". . . ."

Lynchings, Crosses burning on lawns, shootings, etc.

The rise of islamic (and other) fundamentalism is a _response_ to the rise of christian fundamentalism from the 1950s onwards - the current lunacy worldwide was predicted by a number of sociologists in the 1980s who'd noted the trends

5. fajensen

Let me know when we get similar activity from the "Christian Fundamentalists".

Does school shootings count?

Looking at a particularly overblown novel as the future pattern of .us

It's worth noting that all the things that happen in that "overblown novel" were, at the time it was written, which was now some decades ago, based on things that had actually happened somewhere in the world. It's essentially a transposition of the Iranian revolution onto modern American Christian fundamentalism. The thing about fundamentalism, of course, being that the more fundamentalist people get, the less you can actually tell the religions apart, especially when the ones you're looking at are both Abrahamic.

People identifying as "religious" may well be down, but where it counts (such as in the SCOTUS) they are way overrepresented. Their new supreme court judge, for example, is a member of an extreme religious right-wing group that believes all women are subordinate to men. Throughout history, countries have been led by people whose religious views very likely to not match those of the general population. Hence why Europe through its history (and I'm including the UK here) has had various waves of persecutions of Catholics, Protestants, Jews, atheists et al.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

"People identifying as 'religious' are down, as well as membership in churches. . ."

and one of the things that goes with the religious becoming "outnumbered" as they see it is them becoming both louder and more obnoxious to try and make up for the loss of numbers

Once the general population sees the loons are a tiny minority, they lose their power and it happens rapidly - look at what happened when the "million moms" organisation was exposed as ONE mom

3. Peter2 Silver badge

People suggesting Trump will "defy" the election result is a fig leaf for screaming "look how awful Trump is" for the days 2 minutes hate in the same way that people are propagandaising that if the other lot win then they'll ban you from being able to buy or own guns. It's obvious divide et impera level bollocks.

As far as I can see he has been asked if he will accept the result, and he has said that he's concerned about postal voting fraud and if he thinks that irregularities have taken place he might not accept the result, which is hardly a new thing; Al Gore didn't accept that he'd lost when George Bush took office and sued in the supreme court as I recall. Of course, truth is unsensational and boring and won't get the crowd driven mentally ill by mobile phone addiction to "news" their kicks for that minute.

And in any case, Trump is not actually particuarly dangerous. He's portrayed that way, but he's mostly mouth. The danger will be if the next administration (whomever forms it) does not do anything about people who are getting increasingly desperate to get their concerns addressed by the democratic system which is in turn hell bent on ignoring them.

If these people and their concerns continue to be ignored then the end result will almost inevitably be that a few elections down the line somebody who literially makes Donald Trump look like an angel will get voted in, and THAT will be a problem.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Trump is not actually particuarly dangerous. He's portrayed that way, but he's mostly mouth.

Seems to me he did a pretty good job of nearly talking us into a nuclear war over North Korea and it's not going so great with China.

It's not just what he says; it's how others respond.

His threats to wipe Iran off the face of the earth were the catalyst for them shooting down a civilian airliner.

1. Hazelll

Trump is the first president in decades that hasn't started any new wars.

1. First Light

Yet he has managed to kill over 200,000 Americans with his stupid COVID politicking. No US President has managed that in quite a while.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Well, when they get to 500000 dead Americans, that's about even with what the USA did to the Iraqis!

Not that it will change anything. "Gotta have murder and mayhem *somewhere* or else it will happen at home" seems to be The American Way of Life!

At least with Donald Trump being viewed with such antipathy, the EU has managed to not be suckered into any more stupid and grotesque foreign adventures. sadly, A Biden win may change all of that.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

-1 False Equivalence

2. Qumefox

People feel like trump won't accept the election result if he loses because trump has stated he won't on several occasions. He lives in his own little narcissistic reality where he truly believes he is incapable of losing unless other people cheat. So it's pretty much a given he's going to challenge any loss with every method at his disposal to try to prop up his ego.

It's not going to matter if he loses every state and literally got no votes at all in the popular vote. You can still expect mass lawsuits and repeated recount demands, as well as likely violence from his most vehement supporters.

1. veti Silver badge

Yeah, he says that. Why do you believe him?

To take a stand like that would require real, personal courage. That's not something I credit him with, but maybe you have a better opinion of him than I do.

The reason for the posturing is to suppress the vote, by making Dems uncertain and nervous of what might follow. It's all talk, all of a piece.

4. Rich 11

If Trump tries to defy the election result, he'll be frogmarched out of the building by the secret service.

Quite possibly. There was a report the other day that the DOJ, DOH and FBI were drawing up contingency plans to deal with the potential for violence by militias et al should Trump refuse to leave the White House. It says something that even the DOJ, so heavily under Trump's crony's control, feel they're now obliged to plan for the worst.

5. ian 22

Hope is not a strategy for success.

3. onemark03

... another 4 or 8 or ... 12 years

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that by law, US presidents could only serve for a maximum of two terms.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ... another 4 or 8 or ... 12 years

Yes, but don't expect dictator trump to honor that ..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's part of the Constitution. And if he could ignore one part, then what's to stop him ignoring certain others?

Certain segments of US society are really very keen on their Constitutional Rights. And are happy to loudly and vigorously proclaim how far they are willing to go to defend them. Trying to establish a precedent for ignoring them could be difficult...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>>It's part of the Constitution

You know it's been amended, right? That particular clause was #22. Ratified in 1951.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

By Republicans at the first opportunity after FDR had won 4 times in a row.

Had they not, there’s a fair chance Reagan would have matched him by winning in ’88 & ‘92

I can’t see #22 being changed, it would hold up too many people wanting their shot at the job should another popular president appear.

1. Rich 11

there’s a fair chance Reagan would have matched him by winning in ’88 & ‘92

And if he had done so, do you think the additional attention would have made his Alzheimer's clearer sooner?

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Biden is senile....

Keep hearing this, but see know proof. Yet Trump has constantly denied saying things that have been recorded, changes his mind constantly, rambles on incoherently and just plainly make things up.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Let's not forget how he claimed that a dementia test was an IQ test and it proved he was smart.

A test that is not usually used to determine whether someone has dementia, but the scope and extent of their dementia.

2. Hollerithevo

Give me an example of dementia as exhibited by Biden. Such as rambling, not being able to remember, confusion, and so on. I'm not saying he's at the top of his game, but people keep saying 'senile' and I keep watching his speeches and interviews and that clip where he was cycling with his team, and that doesn't add up to a guy drifting into dementia. At least not yet.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Such as rambling, not being able to remember, confusion, and so on.

A random online search suggests https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWZbdLpLEHc

Face it, Pelosi's moves to put the 25th Amendment decision in the hands of Congress not the President's administration is explicitly protection against Biden. This election is Harris vs Trump.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Alternatively watch Trump's speeches in their entirety and look who will take over when he's (too far) gone. Which option is less scary?

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

and I keep watching his speeches and interviews and that clip where he was cycling with his team, and that doesn't add up to a guy drifting into dementia. At least not yet.

That's probably because Kamala Harris implanted a remote control into Biden and is manipulating him behind the curtain.

2. Mahhn

You are correct. But every 4 years someone starts a panic about how the outgoing prez might resist. Which is really comical because there is nothing they can do. They literally have no power. Do idiots think, that they will hold a gun to someone's head and say please let me live in this house lol.

It's a job in this country, not like a king, or queen, or emperor. It's literally a job that last at most 8 years and that's all.

1. First Light

No, it's not every four years, just elections with psycho Republicans in them like Darth Cheney, or Trump.

2. ian 22

There’s literally nothing to stop the loser of the popular & electoral college votes from refusing to conceed, fight the results in the courts and create such chaos that the election is thrown into the House of Representatives, where each state gets a vote. As there are more Republican states than Democratic ones, Trump would again be President.

3. ThomH

They can be elected only twice; if they become President by other means and serve no greater than two years of a term they weren't elected to then that doesn't count against the election limit.

So Johnson could have run two re-election campaigns, but Ford would have been limited to one.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

Gerald Ford?

He wasn't elected even to the Vice-Presidency, why would he have been limited to one campaign?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn they must have had an IQ of 197 and 15% of the password. No one ever gets hacked.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      WTF?

OK I gotta ask, where on earth does the 15% of your password thing come from. I mean if my password is 8 letters, they need 1 letter and to be smart and they can hack me? I would almost guarantee that's not the information trump was given, but I wouldnt be surprised if thats how he parsed it.

I wonder if the information was from some NSA person where they were explaining that hackers need to know things like IP address, programs in use, yadda yadda, and the president was like how much of all this information do they need to get in. And the answer, well they need a lot of the information but often they can use other sources to reduce the requirements, at a minimum if they had a reasonable percentage of what I've mentioned and other information is freely available, then its possible an attack could succeed. And Trump parsed that as Oh they need 15% of your password!

It's such an obviously bollocks statement, I cant imagine any other way you could pull that out, except from someone who really doesnt care, but whats sound bites...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Weirdly, that aligns with reality, which -given that it's Trump- must have been entirely by accident or having overheard something that someone competent stated. I have no idea where that would be, can't be the White House or that individual would soon find himself booted out. But I digress.

If you know part of a password, that removes a chunk of entropy from your guesswork, and even that is assuming worst case, i.e. that the person who made it did at least his/her best to make life difficult for someone trying a dictionary attack.

If not, if it's the right chunk you can engage in better guesswork. If the guy that breached Twitter was given "ma" to start with, "maga2020" would have been one of his first guesses, not his tenth or so :)

1. ThomH

I'm pretty sure he got it from all those films where a password is cracked one character at a time from left to right, on a mostly-green screen that despite being the size of a television is inexplicably limited to about four lines of text.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

A bit like "hashtags"?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Conspiracy theories are dead...

Eh - I doubt that Trump had anything to do with the origins of Coronavirus... or any conspiracy for that matter. At least we now know that there are no aliens and the moon landings was real. He is 100% the person who would go on screen to randomly brag about it.

1. Qumefox

Re: Conspiracy theories are dead...

Never heard anyone claim he was responsible for it's origins. He is however responsible for several hundred thousand people dying due his mismanagement of it once it did make it to the US.

8. Mike 137 Silver badge

What a pity...

The intent is wholly understandable, whether or not you approve. It's a shame though that they didn't proof read their copy. It's littered with grammar and syntax errors which I sincerely hope the FBI would not have made.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: grammar and syntax errors which I sincerely hope the FBI would not have made

I'd venture to say all those errors were on purpose, to mock the great, great man. But then, Im probabl to optimistik :(

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: What a pity...

Why proof read? He doesn't.

9. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Mushroom

Like a Three-Card Monte game

Bet he still gets in.

Not a fan, but in any event it's all smoke and mirrors and it makes no difference who's there. The Woke just hate him because he stopped Hillary when they instructed the American People to elect her, and he hasn't had a war to change other countries; and the Trumpists just like him because they love money and hate foreigners. Any president will do the same things as any other 90% of the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Like a Three-Card Monte game

Trump derangement syndrome is real.

Same people want to vote for a guy who's senile.

Neither are great choices but at least Trump knows what day of the week it is and stands a chance of living through another 4 years - Biden will be rendered incapacitated within 12months with Harris - who's worse than both of them taking over.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

Trump only knows what day it is because he can decree that the day is whatever day he says it is.

> What day is it Herr President?

< Friday

> No, it's Wednesday.

< [throwing toys out of pram] No, I want it to be Friday. Make it so. [folds arms in a strop]

> OK, we can make it Friday for you, but it's not an easy task. It'll take us a couple of days.

< It's Friday! I made it Friday. All heil me!!

1. John 104

So... which one is he? Hitler or a baby in a pram?

SMH. People's vision of what a president can and can't do are so skewed. There is a reason there are 3 branches of government in the US..

2. IGotOut Silver badge

It's Red Chinas fault it's not Friday, yes. In fact we are going to stop them having Fridays so we can have two!

Make Awesome Friday's In America!

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
            Megaphone

Surely Make America Friday Again!

2. Hollerithevo

And you know Biden is senile because of what actions or speeches captured on video? It's all 'Harris is bonkers' (demonstrated by what?) 'Biden is senile' (demonstrated by what?). If it's so obvious, the proofs should be easy to find.

1. hayzoos

OMG! It's all over facebook. I can't beleive you are so out of tuch. Gimme a brake. I bet yuo gonna tel me now they an't pedofiles and eat kids.

Do I really need the joke alert?

Scary thing is, I have heard/seen those responses given seriously, misspellings and all.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWZbdLpLEHc

10. Unicornpiss
    Unhappy

Aw, why'd you have to tell me this was a hack and not real?

I was hoping I'd woken up and found myself in a reality where justice was real and people used their brains. Now I feel like the kid in the joke where his dad takes him to a burned-out warehouse and tells him "Disneyland burned down."

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

great... shame

I'd love to see something more... biting, hopefully on the subject of the monstrous ego of The Man with an Orange Hair and Fake News :)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think Trump will win a 2nd term.

I don't want him to, but he will win.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think Trump will win a 2nd term.

About 2 months after his last election I said that I thought he'd win this one.

This was based on the supposedly independant media behaving in a blatently partisan way, and my assumption that they were going to keep it up, and that as a result after literially years of this people would basically have just ended up so fed up ignoring anything the media said, making it impossible for them to actually influence this election in any meaningful way.

While obviously judgement is going to be reserved for a while, i'm pretty dissapointed in American political and media establishments. I feel that pretty much any random person picked off the street at ramdom could have done a better job.

1. ThomH

Yeah, like that time in January 2017 when the media dared to claim that Trump's inauguration didn't have "the largest audience in history" as he kept claiming, based on little things like direct photographic evidence, witness accounts, and viewership statistics.

How dare they be so partisan!??!?

1. JCitizen
          WTF?

LIke the bused in crowd that blocked and intimidated visitors to the event didn't have an effect?

13. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Fake news

It was done by his administration, they need the bitcoin for his campaign.

14. MrBanana

I don't think Trump will put up much of a fight

Trump doesn't actually like the job of being president very much. He doesn't really understand it, and it gets in the way of his golf. But, one thing he hates is loosing. He wants to win the election just to say that he won. He won't concede defeat, he will claim that he would have won if the postal votes weren't rigged. He will stamp his feet for a time, but I doubt he will take anyone to court in a serious bid to overturn the decision. Although this is all assuming that Biden remains as the least worse option in the eyes of the undecided voters.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't think Trump will put up much of a fight

All he has to do is not concede and he wins.

1. Hollerithevo

Being escorted off the White House property is not a good look for a winner. I think the Republicans have got what they want, which is SCOTUS, and they can rest for two years under a Biden/Dem government before they come in again (at least in the Senate) and, having cleared out some space, the old duffers in the Party having been kicked out in 2020, they can bring in energetic new blood. Guys like Cotton. So I don't think the Republicans are going to support any attempt by Trump to over-stay their welcome.

1. ThomH

Honestly? I actually think that Trump's outsize success in populating the Supreme Court is one of the bigger obstacles to his reelection — remember that he just barely won last time (as per the agreed rules, before anybody mentions the popular vote), has done little to expand his base since, and that some proportion of his support was people who dislike him personally but are motivated by the court.

Now they're not going to be so motivated.

2. MrBanana

"All he has to do is not concede and he wins."

Yes, in his orange addled mind, this is his truth.

1. JCitizen
          Go

Go to YouTube and watch the Ted talk with Van Jones on the subject before jumping to conclusions.

15. Randy Hudson

Try big boobs, with a "Z"...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad and funny

I know if I commented on UK politicians, no matter what I said it would likely not be accurate. As my only source of information is news/propaganda by those that either embrace or detest those politicians. Funny how the world works.

1. JCitizen

Re: Sad and funny

That is the sad an glaring truth! I've caught lies in ALL of the media news networks. BBC is the less of all evils there, so far.

17. Danny 2

General Strike : Rochester demurs

Rochester Labor Council: Defending American Democracy and Opposing Authoritarian Rule

Therefore, be it finally resolved that the Rochester Labor Council, AFL-CIO calls on the National AFL-CIO, all of its affiliate unions, and all other labor organizations in the United States of America to prepare for and enact a general strike of all working people, if necessary, to ensure a Constitutionally mandated peaceful transition of power as a result of the 2020 Presidential Elections.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like