back to article Touchscreen holdout? This F(x)tec Pro1 X phone with sliding QWERTY keyboard might push your buttons

UK smartphone developer F(x)tec has rolled out the second generation of its sliding keyboard phones, the F(x)tec Pro1 X. Phones with a physical keyboard are a rarity in 2020. Making this device even more unusual, F(x)tec has opted to offer punters a choice of operating systems: the privacy-centric Android fork LineageOS, …

1. Someone Else Silver badge

\me likes!

Count me in as one of those antediluvian "holdouts". My poor old Kyocera keyboarded soapbar is, alas, ready to die, and quite frankly, I don't care if its been 13, or 113 years since the iPhone was foisted upon us. I use a phone for making phone calls and texts, not as a status symbol or mechanism for keeping up with the Jones's. And that it supports LineageOS and will soon SailFish makes it even more attractive.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: \me likes!

I used to hate touchscreen keyboards / wish only for hard keyboards, but nowadays since I exclusively use Swype it doesn't really bother me enough to switch [back]. What I'd like is a hard-button answer key, so that I can easily pick up a call whilst I am wearing gloves (admittedly, even that isn't as bad as it used to be because I am most often wearing gloves whilst riding, and my helmet Bluetooth is now connected to the handset anyway).

In other words, for me at least, time has moved on and most of the major complaints about touchscreen-only devices have either been directly addressed or merged with other solutions to mitigate the worst of the problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I used to hate touchscreen keyboards

...nowadays... it doesn't really bother me enough to switch...

...most of the major complaints...

...mitigate the worst of the problems

In other other words, you know that the thing is inferior but you choose to live with it, and you litter your posts with weasel words to pretend that it's not so bad.

1. Snake Silver badge

No, it's a balance of compromises. If only my LG swipe keyboard was reliable with its predictions, it's usually easier and faster for me to swipe a reply than I could ever type it. Contrarily, as noted, the LG swipe isn't very accurate especially versus hard keys.

So, for me, it's either speed with less overall accuracy, or slowness with better accuracy. The difference is that I can swipe with one hand, whilst I must type (badly) with two. I say "badly" because I've been exclusively swiping for so long that I have no real smartphone typing skills left worth even mentioning.

So, after all this time, I guess I have indeed embraced touch. However, every time I (am forced to) pick up an iPhone I wonder "How the #!*% can people use this damn thing!!!", so maybe there's that.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Snake,

There's an easy solution to answering your phone while wearing gloves. Use your nose!

Sadly I'm not joking here. There are a couple of times when I've had wet hands or been holding something or wearing gloves that I've resorted to poking my phone screen with my hooter.

Here is some footage of me doing it. Link to Youtube w. sound - or possibly what passed for children's entertainment back in the last century.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: Nose answer

Thanks, it's a great idea ^_^ but, as I mentioned, I need a hard answer key to answer my phone when I have my helmet on. Because, of course, that's when the damn thing always wants to go off...when you pretty much can't answer it.

And answering with your nose whilst in a full-face helmet is, uh, difficult, to say the least :D I could crush the thing with a head-butt to shut it up, but that's a one-shot opportunity :P

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
                Happy

Re: Nose answer

To be fair, you only said "riding" and "helmet" in your post, so you could have meant horse/bicycle and an open-face helmet. In which case either your (or any putative horse's) nose would still be available for answering duties.

In cycle racing, a headbutt is actually considered a legitimate way to "signal other riders" in certain circumstances - usually a sprint when it would be unsafe to take your hands off the handlbars and tap someone on the shoulder to let them know you're there and about to have a crash. Usually that signal is "get out of my way you bastard" and so in real life not delivered with the required gentle sensitivity required to comply with the rules.

But it is a good way to silence an incessantly ringing phone. And that very finality and crunching sound might be very satisfying.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed. I've never bought a phone without a physical keyboard. They're garbage. The only reason I use one now is because it was gifted to me. I've had my eye on the Planet Computers devices, but this looks cool too, particularly with the choice of OS. It'll be nice to have some choice when I do get around to buying my next phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't bother with Planetcom. I have one of the earliest Geminis: it was released in 2018, and its last Android update was - end of 2018. I now have to live with a totally insecure phone.

2. cornetman Silver badge

Would love one, but $649 is an insane amount of money to pay for a phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know; you'd never get a decent iPhone for only that much.

1. Joe W Silver badge

It still is a lot of money. That the iPhone (and other "flagship devices") is stupidly, ridiculouly, crazy, mindboggling expensive does not make this one cheap.

2. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

They are most likely subject to the (dis)economy of (small) scale, sadly.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>insane amount of money to pay for a phone.

Functionally it cpyld be compared to a laptop, and more capable than most if of the computers I've spent £1,000 over the decades.

That said, I think a detachable keyboard is the better form factor because:

- The keyboard can be carried over to an upgraded phone (less of an issue in last couple of years)

-should the keyboard fail (I've known keys on Nokias to fail) it can be swapped and the phone retained (and vice versa)

-one might want to use the keyboard during the day, and shed the extra bulk in the evening

-The main phone section might not have a feature the user wants (less of an issue in last couple of years, since phones are largely converging in feature set)

1. Fred Goldstein
        Holmes

I can't find a detachable phone keyboard on the market any more. One was built for a specific model of Samsung a few years ago, and for a specific iPhone some years ago, but a generic one (Bluetooth could connect it) even in a folding-case format doesn't seem to be available any more. If you find one let me know,. The Cult of St. Steve the Calligrapher has hurt the market.

1. Mage Silver badge
          Coffee/keyboard

detachable phone keyboard

I have a Wireless one about phone size, though needs a dongle because it's not BT, OTOH it works better than any BT keyboard I ever had. It has a touch pad and mouse buttons.

I've also a pair of 8" folio cases with USB keyboards. One has mini-USB plug (works with a USB2GO micro plug with integral mini USB socket and one has a USB2GO microUSB plug.

But I've stopped going out, so I use the laptop to type on Viber or email and phone answers the "I'm at the checkout, where are you" calls.

I had to get a paid playstore app for decent support of a UK layout, accented letters etc on Android. EKH or something. Though later Androids are slightly better for non-USA keyboards.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: detachable phone keyboard

Q: "Where can I get one?"

A: "I have one!"

2. Art Slartibartfast

I have a great foldable bluetooth keyboard that I bought at Miniso. See for example: https://miniso-au.com/en-au/product/60983/bt-keyboard-model-hb022 Charges through USB and has 40 hours of typing time. Can be set to Android, IOS and Windows. It also shows up on Amazon, although currently out of stock in the UK.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Bluetooth keyboard

This iClever BK05 Bluetooth Keyboard is pretty good, and folds up nicely (without the oddly sized or positioned keys that some other folding keyboards with 'hard' vertical folds have), making it useful for a phone or tablet.

(I have linked to Amazon USA because on Amazon UK it is currently only available from third-party sellers demanding absolutely ludicrous prices for it (the original price was around £40). It's still significantly cheaper to order from the USA, even with shipping costs.)

3. Richard Jones 1
    WTF?

Touch Screens Ignore My Ancient Hands

The modern second rate phones are almost useless for me. A Bluetooth headset or in-car Bluetooth are the only ways calls can be answered. A prodder can sometimes start it to make a call, but answering an incoming call without an assistant, only worked once in 4 years. I thought touch must be cheap to make, but any saving is not being passed on.

Happily the wired house phone not only has service, while mobiles do not have service at home, it can be answered.

4. Shadow Systems

It sucks to be old.

Most supposedly smart phones are flat slabs of glass with zero haptic feedback for us to tell if we're holding it the right side up (front to back) or the right way up (head over heels), so answering a call is a crapshoot.

Trying to use "intuitive" swipe gestures proves the fallacy of said claims as it's not in any way, shape, nor form.

I'm "stuck" using a "dumb" (Feature) phone because it's got a headphone jack to plug in a wired headset, it's got physical buttons I can use to determin the device orientation, I can use those same (Tap9) buttons to enter a text message just as fast as I can understand the keypress echos, and it includes a screen reader to tell me WTF is going on. I've tried to use a SmartPhone but neither the Android nor the Apple devices wanted to play nice. I wound up returning the Android & the Apple is buried in a drawer gathering dust. All because it takes a sighted person to start the tutorials on how to use the accessibility features, because they can't be arsed to make such capabilities useable by the very people it's supposed to get used by.

*FacePalm frustrated sigh*

To all those device makers that think a featureless flat slab of glass is a GOOD thing, just you wait until you get old with bad motor control, bad eyesight, & a complete inability to use your own damned devices. Sucks to get old, huh?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: It sucks to be old.

Agree fully with which way is up lottery.

Sadly, the designers & marketers are replaced long before they start to consider such useful features.

2. Fred Goldstein

Exactly. I'm not blind, just impaired, and have limited hand-eye coordination, so a touch screen doesn't work for me either, though I can play Candy Crush on my Blackberry and only sometimes move the wrong piece. The little BB keyboard is hard enough, but touch screens produce too many errors. Swype is totally hostile, sorta like cursive, which I can't do to save my life. I'm hoping the FxTec or something like it becomes available in the US for the Verizon network. The market seems to be aimed 100% at the fully-sighed well-coordinated 18-39 set. There are plenty of customers for niche markets like physical keyboards.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Apple have done some work. I was talking to a lad this month who was actually used as a guinea pig by them back when he was about ten. Long story short, a UK Apple employee had a child who's blind - and so they used him and his friends as convenient test subjects for a bit - they even had online meetings with Tim Cook. The lad started at Oxford this year, and is Mum's pride and joy as he was in the last group she taught the year she retired.

But even he, who's grown up with the things, admitted that the iPhone isn't that easy to use. And that he has to do it by remembering where the controls are on the screen and being very precise where he puts his fingers.

You can solve the orientation problem by using a phone case. Though I very much doubt that you can set one up yourself without help from someone to get the thing into accessibility mode.

I remember when I first got the original iPad testing it with him, and we came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work. Here, the smaller screen of the iPhone probably helps, because although you've got smaller controls - and so have to be more precise - you've also get less distance to move your fingers from the sides of the screen to find the UI elements.

On iOS 4 the screen reader was laughably crap. We'd press a button on the keyboard and it would tell us, "capital A". Not because shift was selected - but because the Apple keyboard was all in CAPS, like a typewriter - and so because the software hadn't been specifically written it told you for each letter that it was a capital, whether hitting it would get you one or not.

I give Apple credit for having made quite a bit of effort, at a time when Google weren't even bothering with Android. But if you're totally blind you've got to have amazing memory and dexterity to use a smartphone - and physical buttons are going to be much easier.

5. Lars Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sucks to get old, huh?

The alternative is not that much better, huh?,

But I do agree about the phones.

6. theOtherJT Silver badge

I would totally buy one...

...but I already bought a Cosmo, which fulfills my "I need a little portable SSH terminal" needs even better. Sadly it doesn't make a very good _phone_ because the battery doesn't really last long enough and it's a bit big - this would certainly do the job of "One device for work and home" much better, but well... I already have the cosmo and carrying 2 devices isn't _that_ much of a problem when I only use one of them occasionally and tend to only take it places I expect to need it.

(This post from the pub, where I am _technically_ still working)

1. RNixon

Re: I would totally buy one...

Turning off the cover display on the Cosmo drastically increases the battery life. At the cost of making it damned annoying to use unless you also have a smartwatch to cover those functions.

7. jonathan keith

Caveat Emptor

Indiegogo, eh? Last I remember reading about them in these pages was with regard to the Spectrum Vega+. As I recall, they didn't cover themselves in glory over that.

8. Sampler

I miss my HTC's

The Kaiser (TyTN II), Touch pro 2 and Desire Z (the latter actually being what got me on to Android) were great phones.

I remember when I had the Kaiser a friend of mine asked why I didn't have an iPhone, which at the time couldn't do video calling (this could), had a 2mp camera vs the 3.1mp on the Kaiser and topped out at Edge dataspeeds, no HSPDA and no GPS whereas I was running a TomTom app for sat nav driving with mine.

It was a wonder, an actual leap ahead of my old Nokia's and Windows Mobile 6 (iirc) wasn't as bad as people slate it for (most of which probably never had a windows mobile). Certainly better than what an iPhone would offer.

I'd be happy for someone to take the Touch Pro 2's form factor and chuck some modern chipsets in, don't have to be top of the range, last years mid-range phones ran perfectly fast enough to do everything, camera's don't have to be pointlessly over the top (like the 108mp camera on my Note 20 which takes worse pictures than whatever the Note 8 had, at least they weren't all oversaturated and full of bright screaming reds - and the camera module didn't have to stick out so much from the back of the phone) just something functional that'll take a snap to share on social media, as that's what phones do, those who bang on about doing proper photography with a mobile aren't doing proper photography (or at least a very narrow definition of certain aspects).

1. Franco

Re: I miss my HTC's

Had both an HTC S730 and a Touch Pro (well, actually their O2 XDA equivalents but I reinstalled the stock ROMs to remove their bloatware) and thought they were great phones. At the time though I probably did more emailing than calling on them, and the S730s physical number pad made navigating through IVRs a lot easier.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I miss my HTC's

The first model didn't even have 3G- which for our younger readers had been about for years by that point. The iPhone couldn't even /cut and paste/ for the longest time. It barely had bluetooth to speak of, whereas the TyTn2 had pretty much every profile. TV-out, not just GPS but wifi and cellular aided AGPS.

It even had Apps for iPlayer, Youtube and more. I was able to watch Steve Jobs keynote where the iPhone was announced while travelling home from work- which you couldn't do on an iPhone. There I was, watching someone announcing "an iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator" to great applause despite it being a solid decade behind the leading edge.

It took until about the iPhone 4 before they caught up.

God Damn, that man Jobs was a master of marketing.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

"Rolled out"

Nope, rolled out means it's in the post on the way to people's letterboxes.

It's been announced. It's a crowdfunder. Don't hold your breath.

10. Inkey
    Go

I would

Not a big phone person .... well i was ...but that was before they became monitoring devices...

So a mobile with ubuntu is a big YES for me ....

Presumably you could use any Debian / Ubuntu derivitive ... keyboards not that much an issue i could get by/ used to it just like touch screens which im not that big on ....

But Mint on a phone hell yes

11. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Beats LG

I tried LG's second screen to create a mini laptop. Sadly, the laptop form puts the camera on the bottom side side, otherwise it tips over. Congratulations to F(x)tec for getting it right.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do these manufacturers keep pumping out huge 6 inch screened devices, 5 inches is plenty big enough ?

1. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

How young are you?

I want a screen no smaller than a book, and did even before my eyes got this old. I'll admit that will look a bit silly on a phone.

2. APseudonymousCoward

Lots of people say they'll buy a premium small screened phone in market research, but when it comes time to drop some Benjamins only Apple users do so in volume. And the 1st gen Iphone SE sold in tiny volumes at that.

Sony bet the company that people would buy an Xperia Z1/2/3 compact, but no one other than me ended up buying one. Samsung tried with the Galaxy 10e. No market interest.

1. silent_count

@APseudonymousCoward

I obviously can't speak for everyone but the deal breaker is not the form factor but the compromiss needed to get a phone so small.

Smaller phone means smaller (thus worse) battery, thus mediocre battery life, thus unimpressive performance because a good cpu (or display) would kill the battery life.

13. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge
    Go

Here's an idea

Something I saw back in the days of teeny-tiny phones, which I'd love to see scaled up for a smartphone.

A split hardware keyboard, half each side of the screen when held landscape way. They folded over to make a safe cover for the screen. Flip them open to answer a call.

Anybody here in the design department? Take it.

14. Rosie Davies

Physical Keyboard ++Good

Admittedly I'm a bit biased, I hate touchscreen typing. I found myself mentally editing what I wanted to say down to the fewest possible words to vaguely get across a reasonable approximation just to avoid typing any more than I absolutely had to.

I bought the Planet Gemini and it was a nice enough device to use stand-alone. I've now got the Cosmo which is a big improvement on the Gemini and sufficiently good that I'm not tempted to get the Astro - which seems to be the same form factor as this device.I can touch type on the Cosmo at speeds fairly close to what I get on a full-sized keyboard. That's important enough to me that I don't ever want anoterh phone that doesn't have a physical keyboard.

Rosie

15. GraXXoR

Am I the only person who was on the fence until they said physical headphone jack?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like