back to article Your IT department should behave like a jellyfish, says Gartner

IT organisations that want to thrive in plague-time need to model themselves on jellyfish, says analyst firm Gartner. The metaphor was offered today in the keynote of the virtual Asia-Pacific Gartner Symposium, which thanks to a certain virus will this year precede the event’s EMEA incarnation. Speakers outlined their belief …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Be like me!

You can see why an outfit like Gartner would be both expert on jellyfish and proponents of working like one.

They both make a living by stinging their victims.

1. Rafael #872397
      Happy

Re: Be like me!

IT departments should be like politicians. Promise a lot, deliver little, keep the money for boondoggle projects. Also no-brained.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Be like me!

They also cater to brainless, spineless management.

2. six_tymes

so the take away is be more toxic, like a jelly fish. got it.

I am so glad I no longer work for that sh*t corporate mentality anymore.

1. TRT Silver badge

Don't forget the requirement to ruin someone's holiday. No action required, just sit there hidden in the sand and let them blunder into you. Life's a beach.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Holmes

I feel that there is scope for treatment of such entities, similar to that meted out by Mr S. Holmes, esq. in the Adventure of the Lion's Mane...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I think the treatment of Gartner should be closer to that meted out by Joey when the_girl_whose_name_I_cant_remember got stung in Friends

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As far as I can tell from the article, this was just a talk about the network organizational structure. I don't know when I first encountered it, I think on some management training course in the early 1990s, so it has been around for at least several decades.

The challenge here is making a pretty tedious subject sound newly relevant and exciting, to the point where it even appears newsworthy. However, it sounds as if the speaker has managed to do this very effectively by evoking a striking analogy.

1. Chris G

It predates the nineties by centuries.

Think of any empire in the past, due to the inherent latencies that prevent instant command, all of the disparate parts would need to act semi autonamously for the benefit of the whole.

That would apply to armies in the field or local administration.

A slightly more modern situation isvthat of many shop chains where individual managers were better placed to apply strategies that suited any given shop according to its locale and demographics

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

A more topical example might the US electoral college, since one of the motivations there was to avoid latency problems as you describe.

3. Maelstorm Bronze badge

Or ruin someone's whole world... After all, the article picture is a depiction of Cthulhu.

Usually, it's some incompetent PHB that ruins people's weekends. Dilbert to the rescue, again.

3. Chris G

Just remember

Often, if you are stung by a jellyfish, someone will come along and piss on you and will assure you, it is for your own good.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

The traditional remedy

Don't do it. Please.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/how-fix-jellyfish-sting-180963582/

Recommends vinegar to kill the sting, then tweezering away the tentacle, then applying heat to "inactivate" the venom. It seems to me that heat is liable to inactivate the victim as well, so possibly stop short of causing actual burns.

So First of all you need to carry vinegar and tweezers.

Or duct tape perhaps, apply lightly to the tentacle then lift off? I haven't tried this, and a day at the beach with duct tape might mean being asked awkward questions.

4. Rilik

So... Brainless?

1. Dwarf

@Rilik

Reminds me of several previous managers.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Well, that might be part of the problem. I've seen a many a failing organisation, without a central brain. But they still had a central management.

Edit: that includes none of my current or former employers or clients. Absolutely none.

5. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

So you should drift along aimlessly, attack anyone stupid enough to come within your reach, and be controlled by the braindead. So par for the course in most IT departments...

You say poisonous tentacle, We say overcharged cattle prod. Tomato, tomatoe...

1. Juillen 1

Only the departments run by MBAs.

(M)aster of (B)ugger (A)ll strikes again!

6. Little Mouse

Have I got this right?

Do your own thing "for the good of the business". Ignore the corporate hierarchy. Encourage your colleagues to do the same.

Sounds like a plan. I'll get started right away.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"coordinated action without central brain"

Impossible. The budget must remain under control at all times, at that means control from the top. You can't have dozens of managers spending money just because it's justified, that would be madness.

8. Howard Sway Silver badge

get good at orchestration so that different components can operate in harmony as and when required

I think the analogy you were looking for should therefore be an orchestra rather than a jellyfish.

The rest of their blather talks rather a lot about central brains coordinating and directing things, i.e. the complete opposite of how a jellyfish works. So just the usual attention seeking Gartner nonsense. I'm surprised Gartner haven't bought up all those companies that manufacture digesters for manure that can produce methane, because they're so good at making money from bullshit.

9. IGotOut Silver badge

I'd love to go a Gartner presentation.

Just to see how many words it takes to say absolutely nothing.

10. a_yank_lurker

Gartner...

The name says all I need to know. Irrelevant, incoherent babblings from an exquisite shakedown artist fed mindless manglement drones.

11. Red Ted
    Thumb Up

Lack of a central brain...

Sounds like the situation with the PHB in Dilbert's world and possibly a few other manager/engineer interactions not so far from home!

12. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Analysts did acknowledge that some jellyfish are highly toxic

That's on account of the fact that without any higher facilities it's the only way to defend themselves.

and/or drift around without control over where they are going

So they end up stranded helplessly on the shore.

13. Mike 137 Silver badge

"coordinated action without central brain"

I suppose that would be a bit better than uncoordinated action without a central brain, which is what I've mostly encountered when consulting with organisations larger than a (quite small) critical scale. It was either Bill Hewlett or David Packard (I think Packard) who said "as soon as the organisation reached the scale to require identity badges, the entire culture changed".

Above the scale where individuals can hide in the crowd personal responsibility goes out the door and oversight becomes perfunctory (personified by (Dilbert's Wally). Witness Equifax, where the Chief Security Officer wasn't aware that they didn't have an inventory of their applications.

14. Erik4872

Typical Gartner

I don't know what it is about Gartner and the other "trusted advisor" firms. I guarantee this will be making the rounds on LinkedIn, reposted by hundreds of middle managers with lots of hashtags like #itjellyfish and #dontgetstung. And there will be hundreds of comments from similar middle managers, "Oh, what a visionary you are! Can't wait to celebrate your success in operationalizing this!"

Gartner keynotes are like crack for a crack addicted IT middle manager or CIO. They give them all sorts of new things to talk about in strategy sessions, plus give them a scapegoat. They can easily say "but Vendor X was in the Magic Quadrant! I can't be blamed for this dismal implementation failure/cost overrun/shelfware!"

15. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Unhappy

Be like a jellyfish

Brainless, spineless, and adrift. Sounds about right for senior management.

16. Juillen 1

Jellyfish.

So, a Jellyfish.

They've not adapted in millions of years, and exist in a very beneficial environment. The ones that aren't toxic and destroy everything around have a massive attrition (fail) rate due to critters that can eat them (because they have a brain), but as a group they survive by having a disposable mass of low quality organisms that are entirely interchangeable and undifferentiated.

When a significant change happens (say it gets a bit stormy), a huge quantity can be completely destroyed (washed up on the beach as food for the gulls). But that's apparently not a problem. After all, you can just chuck any tech/team in place of another, can't you. Nat West? Nat West? Anyone? Nat West?

Actually, what they probably should have been saying is that an IT entity should behave like a higher organism, with an autonomous nervous system that tracks and deals with behaviour on its own, but raises exceptions that a higher brain can deal with (and sometimes override).

It's adaptable and effective. Unlike the jellyfish that relies on an endless supply of one of them to work.

As usual, Despair.com has a highly relevant comment on Gartner's approach: https://despair.com/collections/demotivators/products/achievement

17. Eclectic Man Silver badge

But seriously

Gartner seems to be arguing that parts of an organisation should be able to act on their own initiative, and call on other parts to act in concert whenever necessary, without bothering with an executive decision-making process in an emergency, which tends to slow things down. The 'jellyfish' analogy is, I accept, somewhat cumbersome and was probably for laughs, but the idea of having competent people in positions where they are trusted to function without direction on every matter does seem appealing.* The real problem with incompetent or excessive management is they need to justify their existence by being seen to do things, like hire McKInsey's to tell them how to truly kufc pu the organisation (I've been McKinsey'd, it was not a happy experience).

Of course jellyfish are eaten by sea turtles, so they are not all bad.

*OK, I'm retired, so this is a moot point for me.

1. Juillen 1

Re: But seriously

Disparate parts acting rapidly to cope with incoming information and situations that they need to flag and deal with? That'd be the "Sympathetic and Parasympathetic nervous systems".

Most animals have them, and they work in conjunction with a brain to provide complex and adaptive behaviour that has let animals colonise every nook and cranny of the planet.

Unlike jellyfish that just hang there and pretty much do not a lot.

18. Scoured Frisbee
    Facepalm

A brain by any other name

> "whatever is up top can co-ordinate action and send the right signals"

Um...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like