back to article Fancy a steaming portion of Kentucky Fried Bork? A fingerlickin' flub that's pure poultry in motion

The best borks are the simplest, and today's is no exception. A black screen, a plaintive message, and a nugget of the Colonel's menu for the hungry masses has been lost. Despite KFC's protestations to the contrary, "Finger Lickin' Good" still adorns the wall of this emporium to fried chicken and worryingly flaccid fries. …

1. snellasaurus

Waste of a PC - why not use a digital signage solution

Something like screenly on a pi would be really simple to administer locally or from HO and if it goes breast fillets up then you can swap out the pi or SD card in about 5 minutes.

1. JeffB

Re: Waste of a PC - why not use a digital signage solution

Each one probably has a NUC on a cradle behind the screen, rather than a full size PC, that's what we use for the digital signage at the college where I work anyway

1. snellasaurus

Yeah you might be right - still overkill.

I have set up a few pi's to do this and provided the environment does not let them overheat and the microSD cards are ok they are pretty much bombproof. It is one genuinely good use for them.

1. Down not across

There are some staggering signage solutions. Like stack of screens driven by PS3 ...each.

Agreed, Pies are a good solution.

1. tin 2

oh yeah seen that one. My mind boggled. I wonder how many of them still have all the PS3s still working.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

In theory, a Pi would be ideal for this kind of work. In fact, I believe NEC do a range of large screen displays with a slot in the back for a Pi Zero.

There are a couple of potential problems.

Manageability. Pis are fine if you have a few restaurants with maybe 2 or 3 Pis in each. According to Google, KFC has 900 restaurants in the UK alone. How big a staff would you require to support and update 2,700 Pis? How easy is it to manage Pis (or any Linux based machines) in some sort of Enterprise deployment and management system? We use System Center for Windows at work, and I could order any (or all) of the 300 machines I am responsible for to install a given bit of software, uninstall it, or even wipe themselves and re-install everything. I can be fairly certain that if I sent the order, it would be done in about 48 hours.. No humans needed onsite. I also know that if a machine should fail, I can send one of our part time staff out to the machine. They can press a few buttons. Not including the password and machine name (which is not always required anyway), it's about 5 keypresses or mouse clicks. 48 hours after this is done, the machine will have a new install of Windows 10, with all approved updates and any software needed installed (it only takes 48 hours because we have a lot of large applications and suites to deploy to each machine, remove the requirement for the software and it's about 1 hour).

Knowledge. At best, the installers sent out to install these devices will have a little knowledge of the device and it's software. As such, it's likely the devices are set up to be easily managed remotely, likely via some sort of MDM.

Now, I've asked this a few times, because up to a few weeks ago, we had a genuine need for a digital signage system and I wanted to use Pis for this. Every time I suggested the Pis I was asked a couple of questions. First, can it be integrated into System Center (preferable, as we already have an extensive System Center infrastructure). If not, what deployment and MDM systems are available for it? Now, everytime I have asked this, I've actually got no sensible answers and many downvotes. Sad really, because our project would have been an interesting one, and would have involved a lot of Pis. Not going to happen now because I couldn't come up with an MDM our IT department were happy to use.

Then there is reliability. Micro SD cards are, in my experience, not massively reliable. Hard drives and SSDs tend to be a lot more reliable, but I've not seen a way to boot a standard Raspberry Pi without using an SD card.

2. MOH

For anyone struggling like I was, half blind at the end a long week, those are four screens in a row with the third one borked. Rather than three screens with a black wall between the second and third.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Same here, it took me a minute to find the borkage :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Computer abuse

Probably stuffed full of airborne grease.

1. NATTtrash

Re: Computer abuse

Yeah, reminded me of that quote from "The Matrix" (I'm paraphrasing obviously):

"You think that's chicken you're eating..? Hm!"

4. andy gibson

USB stick left in?

Doesn't that message appear if it tries to boot from a USB stick?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: USB stick left in?

Not normally, so far as I've seen. If the USB has a higher boot priority than the HDD, it either boots from the USB device or it falls through to the next bootable device in the boot priority list in the BIOS config and may eventually end up at "No boot device found, please insert bootable media" or something like that.

5. MJI Silver badge

Urghh

Am I the only person who doesn't like KFC?

greasy bitter and slimy.

Prefer Nandos

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: Urghh

The last KFC I bought about a month ago put me off, it is not tasting the same.

They must have changed the recipe once again. So I'll have to go cold turkey on all things takeaway.

Heck, even a pie does not taste the same anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A diminished sense of taste over a prolonged period of time is also a symptom of Covid19. #justsayin'

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>A diminished sense of taste.... is also a symptom of Covid19.

So the success of Mrs Browns Boys should have been a warning

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Prefer Nandos

Am I the only person who thought he was signing his comment?

1. Badbob

Why do people who don’t like KFC always have to tell you?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

There's always one or two every article, going "I don't like [thing in article] and I prefer [thing I've never heard of]"

2. keith_w

I have to listen all the time to my step son declaring that Popeye's is much better than KFC. I tell him that I don't care.

1. jonnycando

Er, well...Popeye's IS better.....generally speaking...though I still might get a bucket of the Colonel's own once in a while....

3. MJI Silver badge

Because we get peed off with people going on about it.

Oh and some people at work occasionally have it and it stinks.

I agree with a local radio chicken fan who also doesn't like KFC but since he likes chicken keeps getting asked about KFC.

3. ocratato

There is a KFC a few hundred metres from where I live.

I did try it once, about 30 years ago.

6. Silverburn

Boneless banquet

There's something about "Boneless Banquet" which feels deeply suspicious and a little be sinister.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like