back to article Like a good defragging? The latest Dev Channel Windows 10 might be for you

Fresh from nudging the October 2020 Update out of the door, Microsoft has emitted an update to next year's Windows 10 in the form of a fresh Insider Dev Channel build. Build 20241 has seen a return to form for the Windows team: anti-virus has been broken once again. This time it is Malwarebytes Web Protection, with the …

1. K

Do M$ even have in-house testers these days?

I'd be quite surprised, after all, why pay professional testers - When customers will do it for free, and even pay for the privilege.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Re: Do M$ even have in-house testers these days?

I'm testing out Edge and it doesn't cost me a bean (I'm the product etc)

... on Arch Linux. It looks quite cool with wobbly windows and translucency and all the other funky effects that Plasma delivers. It took about 30s to install and start.

One of my employees tells me his Win 10 2008 update or whatever the recent update is called that delivers Chromium Edge to Win 10, took 45 mins from first reboot to final desktop. wtf? I used to install Gentoo in that time. Admittedly compiling LO, FF and say Qt stuff took a while longer but it's a great way to warm up your lap on a cold winter's evening.

1. SecretSonOfHG

45 minutes? Lucky chap. My 5 year old laptop spent a good part of the morning installing things and rebooting itself.

2. gobaskof
      Joke

I think they have one guy doing all their testing. I have heard he is always super busy. I think someone says his name is Jenkins? Poor bloke. Doesn't ever sleep.

2. jake Silver badge

Defragmentation tools?

How 1980s!

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Windows 10 and Parliament

Microsoft is just like the House of Commons. They add new code to Windows 10 regardless of whether it's needed, while politicians add new unneeded laws to an already stacked pile. All to keep up the illusion they are necessary and worthy of the massive pay rises and bonuses they give themselves.

Windows 10 will be "improved" (into the ground) until the code base bloats to the point where it requires a fresh start and they wipe it out do it all over again.

1. Woza
        Joke

Re: Windows 10 and Parliament

But the house of commons is in an ancient legacy building with leaking pipes and dodgy wiring just waiting to go up in flames, whereas Windows...

Ohhhh, I see, carry on!

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Windows

Wonderful

This:-

The solution? Turn it off or roll back Windows 10.

Just turn off W10. You know it makes sense, perfect sense.

1. martynhare

Re: Wonderful

...given we are talking about development software that's not intended for general use, this is appropriate advice.

Remember that Windows takes snapshots when upgrading, as well as keeping a Windows.old folder if you have the space to spare. It really does make it easy to revert with both System Protection (System Restore) and the recovery rollback options available.

4. aidanstevens

"a sudden splash of brightness turning them to dust"

Journalism for our times!

1. Lorribot

Re: "a sudden splash of brightness turning them to dust"

I get that everytime I visit The Register, about time they had a dark mode on the web site for use by us people of the night.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

BSOD Bobs

Look we voted on it and everything.

Micros~1 is the correct term of endearment when referring to Micros~1.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like