back to article Today's tech giants won't be as naive as I was in DoJ dealings, says former Microsoft chief Bill Gates

Microsoft co-founder and long-serving ex-CEO Bill Gates has admitted naivety in his dealings with Washington around the software giant’s fabled antitrust case with the US Department of Justice (DoJ). But, as Google set out to defend itself against DoJ claims levelled against it this week, the latter-day philanthropist of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still the same liar, then

> didn’t realise that our success would lead to government attention

By success I think he means underhanded tactics to exclude competitors.

Some philanthropist! Just redistributing pennies of the money ripped off from others.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: Still the same liar, then

It's the Carnegie Capitalist mentality: capitalism is good, more capitalism is better, and anything done to attain the apex of those goals - from worker subjugation to market manipulation - is all part of the game.

We'll fix our historical legacy by doing good will projects with the monies that we rampantly abused out of the system, after we decide that we've had enough and walk off the playing field (note the consistence of the paradigm).

Indeed, it's all part of the game. All's Fair in Love and War, and Business is War to them. Anything goes, because anything can be justified away for the sake of those profit reports. Enron, Worldcom, Standard Oil...it's all the same, rinse and repeat, because our societies have been brainwashed by the PTB that money is all that talks. A little bit of slight of hand, to make things work "better" (for them, at least), is quite OK.

We, the human condition, will never get anywhere unless and until we learn to move past that, to see the lives behind the numbers on those quarterly spreadsheets, and realize that it is THEY that matter, not your little paper slips with printings of famous people on them.

1. TheMeerkat

You can’t move past human nature. At least with the current system some of this human nature is harnessed to do good.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> 'I didn’t realise that our success sustained predatory and abusive monopolistic behaviour would lead to government attention'

is what he meant to say

1. Robert Grant

What he actually didn't realise was that putting IE as the default installed web browser would be so badly misinterpreted by the justice system.

(From someone who really isn't a fan of MS's practices.)

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I think he meant he didn't realise should have been making political contributions.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The US government told Microsoft they had to break up Windows. They've definitely done 50% of that.

1. don't you hate it when you lose your account

For me the User Interface has been 80% knackered

2. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

I still believe that there is a secret clause in the DoJ/MS agreement that, in order to encourage competition, requires MS to make every second version of desktop Windows a bloated, resource-hogging piece of crap.

1. Anonymous Coward
        1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I thought the rule was "don't buy anything before version 3 and don't even think of touching version 4".

3. Gene Jones

Naive?

Gates got away scot-free with his monopolistic practices, at least here in the US.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Take Care ...... Swampy Fields Ahead.

Sound advice to governments ...... stay well clear of entanglements opposing, and even competing against tech giants.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Take Extra ESPecial Care ...... Swampy Fields Ahead with Primed Colossal AI Tick Tocking Bombes.

And be made aware ..... for ignorance and indifference are not available derivative options that succeed ..... should one wish to dare care and further share, all manner of possible support is the win win option always available there in such adventurous awesome events venturing into the future.

What can governments give that tech giants don't already have to protect and serve[r] them? What are governments looking to tech giants for? Is there something to be terrified about and for which there is no guarantee of/for safe and secure command and control? More More Troubling Troubles to Realise Never Go Away whenever Earthed and Wedded and Embedded in the Present , rather than being Excised and Excommunicated to the Vaults of the Past, and from whence they came, in order to be fully able to concentrate on and enable New Beginnings in Brave New Advanced IntelAIgent Worlds ‽ .

That's a Guy Fawkes Easter Egg for Parliamentary Squares and State Established Administrative Field Officers alike. Y'all are welcome to try and defuse it, ..... or explode it. After all, y'all are most likely to suffer the most in the blast areas presenting and/or sporting collateral damage.

1. jake Silver badge
        Pint

Re: Take Extra ESPecial Care ...... Swampy Fields Ahead with Primed Colossal AI Tick Tocking Bombes.

Those who think amfM's posts are useless would do well to at least attempt to parse what he has written here. It might change your mind about him.

Beer. Because we're all probably going to need one.

Might want to change "After all, y'all are" to "After all, all y'all are". Parses and scans better.

5. Peter-Waterman1

Microsoft is Still a monopoly

They still are dominant on their Desktop and they keep changing the licencing laws for Cloud to force Azure down peoples throat. Nothing is changed, Nadela is a 15 yr insider with Msft DNA in his body.

6. cd

So naive...

Naive enough to license the OS to IBM.

Naive enough to steal money from schools, literally kids lunch money.

Such a summer child with his silver spoon.

7. DS999 Silver badge

Bill Gates really thinks it was a failure to lobby enough

Rather than a failure to not try to crush your competition with monopolistic tactics. Other than Google which clearly deserves it, I'm not sure what the fate will be of the other tech giants. But if Google gets off scot free like Microsoft eventually did, I suppose Gates will be technically right. It will be because of their lobbying, but not because they aren't guilty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bill Gates really thinks it was a failure to lobby enough

Not lobbying, 'engaging'.

2. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

Re: Bill Gates really thinks it was a failure to lobby enough

I think if paid political lobbying was made a crime, the world would be a better place.

8. heyrick Silver badge

But times have changed, he said.

They certainly have. Today's tech giants have the money and power to buy the government they want.

Expect to see a light telling off so that justice can be seen to be done, but otherwise business as usual...

9. nxnwest

Internet Explorer? Chrome? Same sh*t different decade. It's not just search that is the problem.

Internet explorer became ubiquitous and many organizations layed out the capital for the first time and seeing the expense, could never get the beancounters to perform an upgrade to their tech when it became outdated.

I see the exact same thing as chrome has become dominant, and many things only work with chrome, AND you have to keep up. I watched one dead man walking project collapse as it was nearing completion as the consultant had not been paid to change versions of angular. Then google dropped it.

So we did not learn the lesson it appears.

I'm waiting for the day when I go into the big box home center and get forced to subscribe to a hammer.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well, at least a hammer can be quite satisfying, right ?

2. jake Silver badge

Subscribe to a hammer?

Don't laugh ... Have you seen Bosch's line of Bluetooth equipped tools? A mandatory login to a cloud account before you can use your drill can't be far off ...

1. ExampleOne

Re: Subscribe to a hammer?

They are hilarious! What professional is going to touch those?

1. jake Silver badge

But you can turn on your worklight from your phone before entering a dark room! WOW!

1. MJI Silver badge

Workilight turning on is good, but the rest I suspect will gently fail.

2. genghis_uk
            FAIL

You mean that phone that has a torch on it?

Doing unwanted shi*t so we can say our tools are 21st centruy? We have an App for that!

3. bigtimehustler

And what would you prefer? Lots of mediocre browsers that barely work. Ultimately it takes millions of man hours to make a new browser that follows at least most of the standards and then even more time pushing what is possible further forward. Who is going to do that without any motivation to do it? If they wanted to, they already would. Why do you think even Microsoft has given in and moved to the same base tech?

10. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Internet exploiter

is all you need to know about billge and his 'practises'

Buying it in from another company on the promise of giving that company a % of each sale..... then giving IE away for free.....

11. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Windows

There's a lot more to go after Microsoft about now though

I think the next monopoly that they would go after would be Office though.

If I were in charge of the DoJ, I'd be looking at the way they've used Office 3.65 to basically push OneDrive to shut out Dropbox, Teams to shut out Slack, and Edge to shut out Firefox and Chrome.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of Teams (especially when you get into the API, it feels amazing that something so clearly bodged together in a hurry actually seems to work at all), and Edge is just another way to make Chrome feel like using Internet Explorer, but OneDrive is at least sort-of usable (and at least doesn't have the new UI cruft Dropbox has inflicted upon itself)

12. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Rubbish

Given the amount of time Gates had been in the computer industry, he would have known about IBM anti trust case. He's not stupid.

They could have tried not monopolising the market with dirty tricks

13. grumpy-old-person

Success?

I'm CERTAIN there are more than 3 people who don't see the M$ 'thing' as a success :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like