back to article FYI: NASA appears to have scooped dirt from an asteroid 200 million miles away and plans to bring it back home

A NASA probe has just now collected material from the surface of asteroid Bennu, some 200 million miles (322 million km) from Earth. Over the course of four hours, the agency's OSIRIS-REx spacecraft inched toward its target on Bennu – a 16-metre-wide crater named Nightingale – at a nail-biting pace of just 0.2 miles per hour. …

1. spold Silver badge

So far so good

>>>

NASA wants at least 60g (2 oz) of asteroid dirt

<<<

Well, it has proven it can fart, now we have to hope it does not sneeze on the way home.

2. Ken Y-N
    Thumb Up

Nice, but note the Japanese did this last year, and will be home for Christmas.

https://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/en/

3. seven of five

To boldly go where Japan has been ten years ago?

How is this different from the Hayabusa Probe of 2003-10?

1. YetAnotherJoeBlow

Re: To boldly go where Japan has been ten years ago?

The US gets first dibs on the samples maybe; or perhaps a chance to perfect their skill set?

1. seven of five

Sure, it is cool and certainly not routine yet, but given it is all over the news I was wondering whether there is more to it than "just smash, grab and run" :)

Japan did share the samples they brought back, didn't they?

2. UCAP Silver badge

Different asteroid, with a very different composition. The more samples we get, the better the chance of actually understanding the science.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Paul S. Gazo
        Happy

There's a horrible, whimsical but cynical part of me that imagines two NASA scientists completing analysis of the sample, and one turns to the other and just says "yup, it's dirt."

The take-home, really, is that it's amazing what insight is extracted - daily - by experts from what to non-experts is meaningless triviality. Great respects to the educated in all fields of study.

1. RockBurner

> "two NASA scientists completing analysis of the sample, and one turns to the other and just says "yup, it's dirt.""

Isn't that a Far Side, (Gary Larson) cartoon?

1. Paul S. Gazo

That's entirely possible. I used to really like Far Side as a kid, and the I did imagine Larson drawing the scene, so maybe I am remembering something from 30 years ago.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

and just says "yup, it's dirt."

Unlikely given how few bacteria and worms there are in space - the majority of usual soil is lifeforms of various sorts and the... 'output' of said creatures.

Pedantic I know. But without pedantry, where are we?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Well, firstly, we obviously want samples from as many places as we can get them: having a single sample is like concluding things about the composition of Earth from material scraped from the Empire State building: you can say something but you'd really like samples from as many different locations as you can get.

Secondly, Hayabusa returned under 1g of material (and I think perhaps a lot under 1g: there's some estimate that they got 60mg somewhere): OSIRIS-REx wants to obtain at least 60g and they hope up to 1kg. So they're aiming to bring back hundreds-to-thousands of times the mass of sample.

None of this is meant to denigrate the Hayabusa mission which was clearly heroic: Apollo 11 didn't bring back much compared to the later Apollo missions, either!

4. Doctor Evil

Congratulations, NASA!

Awesome accomplishment! Hope the huff-and-puff thing worked out and you can bring it on home again soon.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Trollface

FAKE IMAGE!

This is a FAKE! It was made in NASA's GARDEN!

I want to be the first one to start a new conspiracy therory... a really hard goal knowing all the nuts in the wild

1. DJV Silver badge

"I want to be the first one to start a new conspiracy therory"

Sounds more like you want to be the first one to start a new spelling of "theory"...

1. $till$kint

Re: "I want to be the first one to start a new conspiracy therory"

Perhaps he wants to be part of the New World Ordure?

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Wath's teh probelm whit my speling? ^^

1. Cynic_999

I cunt spill becuz I hav dailysex.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Angel

Evryone nows conspiracy therories reqwire mispeling.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Conspiracies you say?

Not sure about the garden, but the sample may be consistent with that found in Iceland. Which is often used as a stand-in for alien landscapes.

But here's one I prepared earlier..

The OSIRIS-REx team will check images of the equipment, and perform a series of spins to find out how much extra mass the spacecraft has acquired.

It's 62g! Yey! Then it's 124g! Ermm.. Then 248g! And it's still heading for small town USA

Ok, never mind the physics, and the sample really needs to be 64g. Because IT, and 2^8 it. I'm fairly sure NASA's got thorough biosafety plans for the sample, because there are plenty of science movies highlighting the dangers of space rocks. Especially if consumed with coke.

But I digress.. And more mindful of the physics, this is pretty awesome engineering to not miss the rock, not hit the rock, and park just right to collect the sample. It'll be fascinating to see what the sample is, and conclusions drawn from it.

1. oiseau
        Facepalm

... fairly sure NASA's got thorough biosafety plans for the sample ...

I hope so.

Because, notwithstanding this absolutely incredible feat, we really do not know what is coming along (if anything) with what has been scooped up and that is a fact, not a conspiracy or a sci-fi flick script.

In the far depths of our underexplored seas, scientists have been surprised to find living organisms in places with an absolute lack of light, extreme temperatures and pressures as well as a highly toxic environment.

Just a thought.

O.

1. Cynic_999

I'm quite sure that precautions will be taken. Though the probability that there is a dormant micro-organism on the asteroid that has evolved so as to have the ability to infect anything currently living on Earth must be close to zero.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Yes, keeping it free of contamination is pretty much the number one priority. Not because it might introduce an incurable plague to humanity (we already have one thanks, try next door!) but they need to make sure the sample is not contaminated by anything earthly which could ruin the science.

2. Chris G

Biosafety.

If it does bring anything back, hopefully it will have similar qualities to the stuff in Evolution, the planet could do with some evolving.

Oddly , Play that funky music was on my radio stream yesterday.

3. Cynic_999

"

Ok, never mind the physics, and the sample really needs to be 64g. Because IT, and 2^8 it.

"

Erm ... ITYM 2^6

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Erm ... ITYM 2^6

Err.. umm.. Yes, I meant if it stopped gaining mass at 2^8, then we'd know if it was an ate bit organism. Also might explain why I never got a call back from NASA about that rocket scientist gig.*

*Then again, before being disinvited from an Inteplanetary Internet group, I did get to meet some. Purpose was to get Ciscos In Spaaaace! and I made the mistake about questioning the choice of IP. Especially when the comms protocols NASA uses are damn clever & a lot more reliable/efficient than IP. Be glad comms to this probe weren't sent as a UDP stream..

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Pint

One of these -->

Seems to be in order.

7. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Well done!

I got to watch it launch whilst on vacation in Florida in Sept. 2016 and have followed it ever since.

Good to see that all is going as planned. Good news seems to be rare these days.

1. Stoneshop
      Thumb Up

I [...] have followed it ever since.

So you can take some more Bennu dust if OSIRIS-REx fails to collect enough? Have you taken a Hoover with you, or just a scoop and a ziploc baggie?

1. Cynic_999

Re: I [...] have followed it ever since.

Unfortunately the Hoover will fail to create any suction in a vacuum, so the ziploc baggie will remain empty.

1. Stoneshop
          Facepalm

The nearby Hoover is not only a plain vacuum cleaner[0], it also has a rotating bristle that should sweep up the dust, even if it sticks a bit, and deposit it in the dust bag.

And there was a scoop specified for filling the ziploc in the case he hasn't taken the Hoover, for instance because there weren't enough extension cords available

[0] so, meant to clean a vacuum, innit?

1. J. Cook Silver badge
            Paris Hilton

I thought they were going to get Mega-Maid to deal with it.

8. Conundrum1885
    Pint

Yay!

We have touchdown.

Now for the tricky part: getting the sample back intact.

1. Cynic_999

Re: Yay!

That will be easy because they cunningly made the spacecraft in the shape of a boomerang.

9. Jonathan Richards 1

Interesting decision

I don't envy the programme's decision makers right now. Unless by some weird chance the sample collection bin is full, it must be tempting to go in again for another mouthful; after all, nobody is going to be back there soon. On the other hand (the one with the bird in it?) is it worth the risk of losing everything by going back down, dinging Mount Doom or doing a Philae, and not getting anything home at all.

Tough one.

1. xeroks

Re: Interesting decision

They'll have decided in advance what to do given whatever range of masses they retrieve. I'm guessing, given the consistent "60g" message we've been getting, that's the breakpoint: less than that then they're going back. The risks associated with the landing are considerable: it's better to have 62g of dust than none at all.

10. Annihilator

"While you were out..."

Hoping it's not being delivered via FedEx or similar, as it'll probably be left tucked behind the moon for safe keeping instead of actually delivering it to Earth. I'm basing this on a recent delivery. Other delivery providers are available, and likely to exhibit the same behaviours.

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: "While you were out..."

Or if delivered by Hermes, you'll receive a broken empty container and the dust will be scattered all over everyone else's packages and the floor of their vehicle. (Based upon a recent delivery of brewing yeast powder)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or if delivered by Hermes

That's if you're lucky enough that Hermes delivered it at all...

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Hermes once delivered my package to a random address a mile away. I only knew about it because the kind lady who lived there literally went the extra mile and brought me the package. There are still some good people out there.

On another occasion I found my package in a hedge bottom twenty yards from my address, it was soaked after being out in the rain for a week.

1. $till$kint

They need DPD - Delivering Planetary Dust

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

They need Planet Express, but then Bender will steal it, or Hermes (as in Hermes Conrad)

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Hermes recently "delivered" a package to my wife, which they claimed was in "an outhouse". The GPS tracking they provided showed it in the middle of a nearby road. We live in a flat in the middle of a city; outhouses there ain't. We never worked out where they "delivered" it to, but they refused to acknowledge that we hadn't got it!

DPD, on the other hand, always go to the same incorrect nearby address, despite anything they deliver being correctly addressed, as do most Deliveroo riders, so plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

That last bit got delivered to the wrong country. France is that way ->. Or is it that way <-

2. Dr. G. Freeman

Have to go to the nearest depot instead, which is at Alpha Centauri, next to the planning office.

They handed you a "while you were out card" as the probe wasn't put on the delivery vehicle today.

1. Stoneshop
        Holmes

They handed you a "while you were out card"

Handed? You mean tossed in the general direction of your letterbox radio telescope and filled in with the transmission equivalent of an unintelligible scrawl using an out-of-ink biro.

11. Little Mouse
    Trollface

"NASA engineers whooped and cheered"

I wonder how many of them whoop and cheer just because it's expected? NASA engineers have been enthusiastically whooping & cheering at work since the Sixties. I guess that no-one wants to be first to admit that maybe they're acting out a bit of a cliché.

(Or maybe I'm just bitter. I can't even remember the last time I whooped, let alone felt like whooping at work...)

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: "NASA engineers whooped and cheered"

I suspect the one hour "Whooping and Cheering 101" course is both part of the NASA induction and absolutely mandatory.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

I think you may be being a little unfair. After all the expectations and the cost, and the fact some of their jobs depend on success a few uncontrolled whoops of joy and cheering are surely expected.

Plus, if Hollywood movies and TV shows are anything to go by, they get a lot of whooping and cheering practice at 'football', basketball and rounders (sorry, baseball) games while at school.

1. DJV Silver badge
          Facepalm

Looks like I should have put the joke icon up for those who couldn't spot it without a clue.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

I think they whoop and cheer because they (most of them) are Americans, and whooping and cheering seems to be a thing Americans do, culturally, a lot more than we do.

If this was a British mission then at some point a phone would ring, and the head boffin would pick it up, saying 'Swindon 243', listen for a moment, say 'good, good bye', put the handset down and turn back to his[*] pages of calculations. In the background, lesser boffins would be adjusting the controls of some large machine with many spools of tape. Perhaps a teleprinter would chatter in the distance. Later, tea and biscuits would be served.

[*] yes. It is, after all, 1954.

1. Annihilator

Head boffin would allow himself a celebratory puff on his pipe, but it would be visibly no different to the same puff he would have in the event of failure. Maybe an adjustment of his bow tie would follow.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Head boffin would allow ...

There are even some old 50/60's films on slow rotation on TalkingPicturesTV involving the testing of supersonic planes and the like which have suitable examples of this.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

Exactly so. Head boffin would of course be distinguished from lesser boffins as they would be wearing white coats, while he would be wearing something made of tweed.

12. Sam not the Viking Silver badge
    Coat

Regolith

"....successful in retrieving regolith from the asteroid.."

Solid content by El Reg, presumably. The underlying content is always revealing.

13. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Alien

We're all doomed I tell ya!

Didn't anyone at NASA ever see the Andromeda Strain?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Alien

Re: We're all doomed I tell ya!

Or Quatermass

14. Danny 2

if civilization could hold out for 2023

Big 'if'. I volunteer to be frozen in carbonite until then if someone if testing that technology. #1DaySooner3YearsLater

15. J.G.Harston Silver badge

What size bus? A double decker bus? A city nipper bus? We need to know!

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
      Joke

Let's all hope it not a Bendy Boris Bus, or it'll get stuck on a roundabout somewhere on the outskirts of the asteroid belt.

16. Roger Kynaston
    Happy

somebody should send them a bottle of this

https://whisky.suntory.com/en/gb/products/yamazaki

Or is that just sour grapes?

Kudos to both teams.

1. Stoneshop
      Boffin

Or is that just sour grapes?

Losing your sense of taste, are you?

17. $till$kint
    Alien

As Beltalowda would say

Do you inners learn nothing from what happened to Eros?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like