back to article Autonomy founder Mike Lynch's US extradition hearing will be in February 2021

Former Autonomy CEO Mike Lynch will fight the US government's attempt to extradite him over HP's $11bn purchase of Autonomy Corporation in February next year. At a preliminary hearing this morning, District Judge Griffiths told the court she had received an email from District Judge Michael Snow, the trial judge, agreeing a …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Stop

I have to agreed with David Davis* on this one, if HP lose the civil case despite the significantly less stringent conditions attached to a civil case ("on the balance of probabilities" rather than "beyond all reasonable doubt"), then a criminal case should not stand a chance. Therefore, the extradition proceedings should defiitely wait to see the outcome of the civil case.

* Boy what were his parents thinking when they named the poor bastard. I guess he got them back by becoming a politician...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is there a valid US warrant for Mr Lynch?

No? He can stay in Blighty.

Yes? Goodbye Mr Lynch.

That's just the way it is when you sign away your citizens' rights to a third country. This is what so-called sovereignty looks like.

1. Gordon 10
        FAIL

Is there a valid US warrant for Mr Lynch?

Its obviously how you would wish it to be in your imagination.

Whilst the bar is low - it ain't that low, and muddying the waters with wrong statements isn't helpful.

Fail AC, fail.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Is there a valid US warrant for Mr Lynch?

It really is that ridiculously low. And has been since the lopsided treaty was ratified by the UK.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"muddying the waters with wrong statements isn't helpful."

Original AC is correct. As long as there is a valid warrant then there is no challenge possible. Regardless of facts or evidence related to the case. These are not allowed to be reasons to challenge the warrant.

The US is assumed to be acting in good faith, even in these Bill Barr/Trump times, the UK court does not permit challenges based on the details of the case. Everyone in the UK is vulnerable to the corrupted US legal process.

Lynch would be better doing what convicted fraudster Conrad Black did promoting Trump in a book. Quid pro quos get pardons these days:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/15/conrad-black-trump-pardons-ex-media-mogul

"Donald Trump has pardoned Conrad Black, the former media mogul who owned the Daily Telegraph and the Spectator before being jailed for fraud, shortly after he wrote a book praising the US president."

1. Gordon 10
            FAIL

Fail No2.

Whilst you may be right in practice (99% of the time) you are wrong in fact.

The judge can override a request

As can an appeal court can override an extradition request under human rights legislation. (Lauri Love)

As can the Home Secretary. (Gary McKinnon)

(In practice I agree with you both, but factually you are both incorrect)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>>human rights legislation

Well that won't be around for long.

>>As can the Home Secretary. (Gary McKinnon)

Extradition finally blocked by a politician after ~10 years (and a string of lost cases) not by due process of law.

AC1 says, Fail Gordon 10, FAIL

You also forgot Nigel's mate Christopher Tappin.

2. David Bird

Politicians' names

* I give you William Williams Wynn, Conservative candidate in the 1974 general elections.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: Politicians' names

Well did Willy Willys Win?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are two...

Whatever his parents were thinking, they weren't the only ones. The MP for Monmouth is David TC Davies, who uses his middle initials to try to avoid confusion with the one who you mentioned.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: There are two...

Do close friends get to call him TC? Benny the Ball wants to know...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Do close friends get to call him TC?

Provided it's with dignity!

2. BebopWeBop

Re: There are two...

And Officer Dibbler.

4. dajames

Boy what were [David Davis's] parents thinking when they named the poor bastard.

My father had a university friend -- a welshman -- named David Davis, who was always known as "Dai Twice".

5. Ochib

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/commentary-and-opinion/an-extradition-treaty-unfit-for-purpose/5103563.article

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Boy what were his parents thinking...

There's a (pretty piss-poor) writer for the Independent called Harry Cockburn. His school says must've been hell.

2. macjules

Far too many DJ's

Looks like it's all going a bit Pete Tong down in Westminster Magistrates Court with the court booking service.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Far too many DJ's

Prosecuting, Mark Summers QC (who is also defending Julian Assange in a separate extradition case) replied: "We're working towards that date."

Hopefully Mark Summers QC will not get his briefs mixed up and prosecute Assange and defend Lynch

3. Phones Sheridan Silver badge

Previous judgement delay

What happened to the HPE v Mike Lynch judgement? That was supposed to be due by May-ish.

At this rate he could end up being dragged over to the USA before he's found not guilty. You could bet the americans wouldn't be willing to give him back in that circumstance.

1. oiseau
      WTF?

Re: Previous judgement delay

I think that there's probably a large number of Trumpian moneybags, heavily invested in HPE stock, that have been huffing and puffing since 2012 to get something in return for that incredibly absurd $8.8 billion Autonomy write-off.

And it seems that what they want is Mike Lynch's hide, rotting in some US prison for the rest of his life.

Absurd because you could maybe have to write off 10 or even 15% because the deal was not as good as you thought, mitigating circumstances, etc.

But how is it that you have to write-off a whole 80%?

There obviously was no adult in the room when they pushed the Go! button.

What I fail to understand is the reason/s why they aren't after the auditors who signed off on the deal or the Bitchy Broad™ who was playing at being HPE's CEO and (by all accounts) apparently pushed hard for it go through.

I really hope Lynch gets acquitted.

O.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: adult in the room

Not sure there was a single Reg reader who though Autonomy was worth nearly 9 gigadollars

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Trumpian Moneybags

Trump won't mind at all. The losses will be offset against the gazillions he owes the IRS

I hope that the civil case fails with costs awadted against HP.

I say that as an ex-HP employee. Once upon a time they were a really great company to work for. Then they got seduced by the money men on WallSt. Went downhill like a skier after that. If is the HP management that need jailing. they made the decision to buy Autonomy.

1. EveryTime

I haven't seen a suggestion that Trump was invested in HP.

Highly leveraged real estate, especially apartments, hotels and golf courses, are his business. His tax accounting team seems especially skilled at writing off the expenses and losses several times over. But those skills aren't in line with technology investing.

What the original poster is likely suggesting is that the high levels of the US government seem readily swayed to do the bidding of private financial players. Although current set of pocket-liners is a completely different set of people from 2012.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"... suggesting is that the high levels of the US government seem readily swayed to do the bidding of private financial players."

It's not known as the best government with the best laws money can buy for nought

2. oiseau
            Facepalm

I haven't seen a suggestion that Trump was invested in HP.

Sorry for the neologism but Trumpian ≠ Trump

Trumpian

moneybags

O.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

high levels of the US government seem readily swayed to do the bidding of private financial players party contributors.

FTFY

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re: "or the Bitchy Broad™ who was playing at being HPE's CEO"

I thought it was mad Leo who signed off the deal? After his evidence giving at this trial I do believe that the only thing that will be proven beyond reasonable doubt is that he really is utterly f*****g mental.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually

HPE the stock is not too bad of an investment. Up until Jan 2020 they did decently.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lynch isn't the criminal here.

Leo, Meg and Ray Lane are the ones criminally culpable of negligence for HP over-paying for Autonomy. Cathie Lesjack knew they were over-paying and they ignored her. She's guilty too of not standing her ground which is what a CFO is meant to do.

And look what a rip-roaring success Meg made out of HP.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re: Lynch isn't the criminal here.

I agree.

My view on this is that the reason that HP are pursuing this so aggressively is that they know that they well and truly f***ed up the due diligence and can't afford to be seen not trying to cover their collective arses while the rest of the IT world laughs at them. This is why they are trying to buy the best justice they can.

The worst case for HP is that Lynch is found not guilty because (I assume) it would then leave them open to all sorts of civil lawsuits from hedge funds and investors etc.

That said, the fly in the ointment is that this case is not really about the failings of the auditors or the flawed (in hindsight) decision to purchase or not; it's about, did Autonomy fraudulently (i.e. criminally) inflate their figures to attract the whale in the first place???

Of course, I'd like to see Lynch come out of this as not guilty, but I have a bad feeling...

1. Big Softie

It's clear all parties involved are culpable of misdoing in this sorry saga, although in different ways. Lynch unsurprisingly pumped up Autonomy’s perceived value as much as he could with the usual smoke, mirrors and possibly even falsehoods that many in his position do daily. But, blatant lying, dishonesty and spouting BS are not in themselves criminal offences which is just as well as the jails would be bursting at the seams.

For their part, it seems incomprehensible that such a supposedly professional company such as HP could make such an abysmal mess of the due diligence process. However, I've personally witnessed and lived through similar occurrences close-up before. It’s because large organisations consistently operate with people in senior positions who simply shouldn't be there. They lack the skills, the experience and the knowledge required for the position but somehow still manage to get magically appointed. Usually their incompetence and cock-ups are hidden or compensated for by the marching army below them in the hierarchy, but every once in a while the chickens will come home to roost. Cue massive embarrassment in a case like this.

Deloitte’s part in this was woeful but they have already been handed down justice for “serious and serial failures” in auditing Autonomy prior to the buyout.

It would be unfair in the big picture for Lynch to carry the can for the whole lot, but such is life. All too often the winners are the guys with the deepest pockets to pay for the most expensive legal representation.

Now, let’s check what’s happening with Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos….

1. oiseau
          Facepalm

... such a supposedly professional company such as HP ...

Incomprehensible, yes.

Quite so.

But that would have been over a couple of decades ago, before the HP/Compaq disaster went through, on that occasion led by yet another Bitchy Broad™ with political aspirations, Carly Fiorina.

Not an instant $8.8 billion write off, but still a huge failure: a $25 billion one.

How much is that in 2011 dollars? Maybe ~ $50 billion?

William Hewlett and David Packard have been spinning in their graves ever since.

O.

6. Chris G

Who actually came up with the absurd valuation of Autonomy? Was it an offer made by HPE or Autonomy's asking price?

1. oiseau
      Facepalm

Was it an offer made by HPE or Autonomy's asking price?

I don't really think it matters, not one bit.

Let's see ...

I find you at the pub and offer to sell you my trusty ca. 2011 Asus 1000HE (worth maybe $50 because it has a 2.0Gb stick and has seen very little use) for $1500 but, instead of telling me to fuck-off, you say "I'll take it" and run off to the ATM to get the moolah before I change my mind and even though everyone around us is laughing.

or

You see me at the pub showing my mates a few photos of ... working on my trusty ca. 2011 Asus 1000HE (worth maybe $50 because it has a 2.0Gb stick and has seen very little use) and instead of laughing at my dated portable you say "what a nice Asus" and offer me $1500 for it. I obviously accept, so you run off to the ATM to get the moolah before I change my mind and even though everyone around us is laughing.

Now tell me ...

Just who is the dumb dickhead in these two different instances?

O.

7. IWVC

When (if?) the dust settles

I wouldn't mind having the film rights to this story. As a comedy thriller it has an amazing plot line.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like