back to article Linux 5.10 to make Year 2038 problem the Year 2486 problem

The forthcoming Linux 5.10 looks like it will include further fixes for the Year 2038 problem, aka Y2K38. The flaw means that many systems can’t conceive of dates beyond 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038. Y2K was caused by systems representing years with two digits and assuming that a year ending with two zeroes would be 1900. …

1. sansva

How is this a fix for "Linux"? It is a patch to the optional XFS filesystem which yes is included in the Linux kernel, along with multiple other filesystems. XFS is not even used by default when installing any major Linux distros. It has to be manually selected.

1. davcefai

Today XFS, tomorrow the world.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's been default in RHEL since 7, which started more than 6 years ago. So you're not as knowledgeable about that Linux thing as you'd like to appear.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

It's long been the default on openSUSE for /home, which by default was created as a separate partition (root is BTRFS). Latest versions of openSUSE no longer propose a separate partition, I'm not entirely certain why. The official line is that

Placing it on a separate directory makes it easier to rebuild the system in the future, or allows to share it with different Linux installations on the same machine.
        Never quite understood why that's easier in a directory on the same partition as root than in a separate partition. If you tell the installer that you do want a separate partition for /home it will still default to XFS.

M.

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

A Place for Everything, and Everything in it's Place

Really can't imagine any rationale for many distros to ditch the separate /home partition. It's one of the best things about installing Linux.

1. RachelG

Re: A Place for Everything, and Everything in it's Place

It's so hard guessing how big you're going to need it to be over the lifetime of that system/install though...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

That's why your /home partition is on LVM.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge

A separate partition could be an entirely separate disc though - this is less useful now that "big enough" SSDs are coming down in price, but in the days when I could only afford 64GB or so, having that available for root (and software installs) with /home elsewhere was a good enough compromise. And as someone already pointed out, with LVM you can expand storage relatively easily.

Having home completely separate to root does mean that in the event of a catastrophic failure (and I have had several over the years) which requires a wipe and re-format, user data is safe.

M.

1. Emir Al Weeq

Have an upvote for describing my system. 128GB SSD cost me £120.

2. WonkoTheSane
                Thumb Up

"Having home completely separate to root does mean that in the event of a catastrophic failure (and I have had several over the years) which requires a wipe and re-format, user data is safe."

I also have that t-shirt.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

A shame linux doesn't seperate base software paths from package install paths too, like freebsd does

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Really can't imagine any rationale for many distros to ditch the separate /home partition. It's one of the best things about installing Linux."

Yep, pretty much that. Especially true on SteamOS, since /home is used "only" for games data/execs.

You *will* fill it up, I guaranty that !

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's been default in RHEL since 7"

Maybe, but what about every other distros out there ? For example, SteamOS is on ext4, so ext4 will have to be patched as well, plus, indeed, every other FS there are out there ...

Suse is on brtfs. ZFS is also quite a thing, if we dismiss the licensing issues.

XFS is only one in multiple FS and having it patched is only a tiny thing in Linux going full Y2038 free.

3. teknopaul

I'm with OP. Linux has a 64bit time_t for ages, even on 32bit systems.

This is a xfs "fix" that does not use 64 bit time. It introduces a new problem as it fixes the old one.

1. Dazed and Confused

Most of XFS has been 2038 safe for eons. Haven't checked what's broken but

[dazed@microg82 ~]$

[dazed@microg82 ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release

CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)

[dazed@microg82 ~]$

[dazed@microg82 ~]$ grep store1 /proc/mounts

/dev/mapper/vg_microg82-store1 /mnt/store1 xfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,attr2,inode64,sunit=128,swidth=512,noquota 0 0

[dazed@microg82 ~]$

[dazed@microg82 ~]$ cd /mnt/store1/share/dazed/tmp

[dazed@microg82 tmp]$

[dazed@microg82 tmp]$ touch -t 203901020304 ts

[dazed@microg82 tmp]$ ls -l ts

-rw-rw-r--. 1 dazed dazed 0 Jan 2 2039 ts

[dazed@microg82 tmp]$

No worries

[dazed@microg82 tmp]$

[dazed@microg82 tmp]$ touch -t 250001020304 ts2

[dazed@microg82 tmp]$ ls -l ts2

-rw-rw-r--. 1 dazed dazed 0 Jan 2 2500 ts2

[dazed@microg82 tmp]$

Given the origin of XFS, I'd have expected it to be pretty clean.

2. NullNix

64-bit time_t on 32-bit platforms is not a thing which has been around for "ages": indeed the user interface (well, programmer interface, like -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS) for 64-bit time_t on 32-bit was only finalized earlier this year and has basically not trickled out to anyone yet.

The major advantage of this fix is that it can be applied to existing filesystems with a single traversal over the inodes to fix them up. Going to true 64-bit time_t would require a mkfs (which means most systems would never do it).

1. NullNix

With the release of glibc 2.33 (install with care, I found several bugs and the fixes haven't hit the release branch quite yet), it has now trickled down! This has of course instantly broken OpenSSH because it didn't have all the necessary syscalls in its seccomp filter list... (patch submitted).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If this was Windows I'm sure there would be comments on here saying "This doesn't fix the problem it just delays the inevitable problem by a few years" :)

1. ghp

Perhaps, but we'd be reading this in february 2038.

2. fronty
    Pirate

The rate we're screwing up the planet, I think we'll have bigger fish to fry by then.

1. alain williams Silver badge

Fish in 2486

If we are not careful there will be few fish left [due to over fishing and climate change] and most of them small, not big!

1. Fading
        Linux

Re: Fish in 2486

By then the fish would have taken over and I for one welcome our piscine overlords........

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Fish in 2486

"By then the fish would have taken over and I for one welcome our piscine overlords........"

Or they'll have fucked off the planet for better pastures, like the dolphins did, after their "so long, and thanks for all the fish" message, remember ?

2. wolfetone Silver badge
      Coat

"The rate we're screwing up the planet, I think we'll have bigger fish to fry by then."

Bigger fish? ABOUT BLOODY TIME! I'm sick of the normal sized fish that grace my oversized frying pan.

3. find users who cut cat tail

The way we're screwing up the planet, we will fry everything in no time.

4. Tom 7

Flint

I do have the feeling that by 2038 silicon will be replaced with sharp things on sticks.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

True, however I don't know about you, but I hope to still be around in 2039 at least!

6. General Purpose

Jörmungandr the Midgard Serpent is not, technically speaking, a fish.

1. bpfh

Is not a fish...

Should still taste like chicken...

3. sabroni Silver badge

Imagine the noise in here...

...if it was Windows that couldn't see past 2038 and not your beloved Linux.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: No need to imagine

We already know that Windows has problems with years 2100, 2108 and 4501. The good news is few expect Windows to be around that long but if it is, you can put an appointment in your diary for 2100-02-29 to tell me I was wrong about that.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
        Joke

Bit who is working on "Year 292,277,026,596 problem"?

1. bpfh

COBOL programmers most probably. They will still be needed by a few intergalactic banks and insurance companies...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

2100: Windows ME. (Last version of Windows based on DOS.)

2108: FAT timestamps.

4105: Outlook.

So, no. Not Windows that anyone uses today. Windows proper will next experience a timestamp issue in the year 30,828.

And as for Windows not being around in 80 years time, $DEITY forbid we're still using something based on POSIX a hundred years from now.

1. bpfh

From memory from hex editing and using assembly to read and write FAT12 and 16, the date was a dd-mm-yyyy string rather than any binary interpretation. May be wrong. It’s been a long bloody time...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Headmaster

No, dates are stored as 16-bit binary values, where five bits store the day (0-31), four bits store the month (0-12) and the remaining seven bits store the year relative to 1980.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Imagine the noise in here...

I would be absolutely shocked if Microsoft decided to fix something 17 years before it became a problem.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

In some cases, I'd be shocked if they fixed it 17 years after it became a problem! (Yes, I'm cognisant of the open source bugs that lay hidden for decades in current software so not throwing stones hard enough to break glass)

3. Spiz
      Pint

That was some next-level trolling right there sir/madam. Have an upvote and a picture of a pint.

(I use both Windows an Linux all the time by the way, I just appreciate a good social hand-grenade when I see one)

4. Rol

If it was Windows it would be auto-guessing and formatting the date to $101,920.20

4. Whoopsie

Glad to see the legacy of Silicon Graphics living on

Ironic though that someone from Oracle pushes patches to an SGI filing system shipping with Linux, while Solaris still has unresolved date issues.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Glad to see the legacy of Silicon Graphics living on

while Solaris still has unresolved date issues.

Which ones?

Solaris has been using 64-bit time_t for 10+ years, and should not be bitten by Y2038. Try it.

UFS as an on-disk filesystem will have issues, which are difficult to fix without creating compatibility issues with taking/restoring backups (and I'd expect that also to be true for Linux filesystems with 32-bit timestamps), but that is one of the reasons that Solaris replaced UFS with ZFS a decade ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

UFS2 on freebsd has had 64bit time_t since forever.

2. NullNix

Um... Darrick has been an XFS hacker at Oracle for over five years now. If nearly a thousand commits aren't enough to leach this of its irony, I don't know what is.

5. Grease Monkey Silver badge

The Y2K problem was known almost since people started recording years as two digits, but the response to is was basically "we'll have stopped using these systems by 1999". Whereas of course I suspect that most of the programmers coding for two digit years in the sixties and seventies were really thinking "I'll be long retired by then so I don't give a shit". Then of course it just became normal and that's how people did things. Whenever a voice was raised in dissent for the next thirty years it was drowned out. People were still coding 2 digit years well into the nineties. Then of course come 1999 huge budgets were expended on fixing code or in some cases entirely replacing software or hardware when things couldn't be changed.

You would think that lessons would have been learned, but the approach to this (and other) date rollover issues proves that they weren't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"we'll have stopped using these systems by 1999"

What they didn't factor in was the reluctance of the PHBs to spend any money on maintaining the infrastructure/code. Same old story even today. Leave it until the last minute, or even to break, before they take their heads out of their arses....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To this day, I think the most important Y2K fix ever published was the one from the Insurance industry around 1998, which basically said "We will not pay out for any disasters caused by date-related calculation errors". As a bonus, this also covered 2038 as well...

That got the attention of Upper Management!

1. Martin Gregorie

Some of us mainframers, at least those of us progamming ICL kit in the 1960s, 70s and 80s, were used to storing dates as days since 31Dec1889 in 24 bit words, which works well, leapyears and all, into the 22th century.

We still had problems with Y2K but that was due to the CODASYL gang, which decreed that the ONLY way a COBOL program could access the computers clock to get the date was with the statement

ACCEPT CURRENT-DATE FROM SYSTEM-DATE.

where CURRENT-DATE was required to have 6 digits that would be filled by a date in the format YYMMDD and SYSTEM-DATE was a system-defined name which was specific to the operating system and/or compiler. Unsurprisingly, as the century was not part of this CODASYL definition until sometime in the 1990s, almost all COBOL programs did the same and consequently they hard coded the century wherever it was required to be shown. Most programs written in assemblers and, I think, PL/1 together with a lot of 4GL systems shared this limitation and these were the systems that caused the Y2K panic.

The only COBOL system I was personally associated with that was written in the early 1980s and dodged that bullet had to deal with a wide range of date formats, some inexact, i.e. 'flourished 980AD' (i.e. they were alive then but we don't know when they were born or died). The required date range extended from the pre-Christian era, into the future to handle planned events. Precision varied equally widely, i.e. Euripides was alive in 55BC, birth and death dates unknown, Turold wrote the Song of Roland some time in the 11th century, while John Cage was born 5Sep1912 and died 12Aug1992, but we needed to invent our own date representations to make this work. So, we stored dates as Xccyymmdd where X was a code representing the format required for this type of date and controlled both input and display as well as validation rules. Precision was simple - we just set the day, month and year to spaces if they weren't known and the date display code formatted it appropriately.

3. Martin

As someone who was coding back in the seventies and eighties - we were not sloppy or lazy. There was one major reason for using two-digit numbers for a year - to save space. When your RAM and ROM are measured in small numbers of kilobytes, using four bytes for a year was a waste.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
        Trollface

When your RAM and ROM are measured in small numbers of kilobytes, using four bytes for a year was a waste.

Us system programming types used binary. Years up to 65,535 in two bytes, no problem. Even one byte got you past 2200 with a 1970 epoch.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Which was the basis of a lot of Y2K fixes wasn't it? Check the top bit is set, and if so treat the remaining 15 bits as the actual year, otherwise treat as a two digit year.

2. Martin

Us system programming types used binary.

Which of course worked, but needed extra software (which takes space, which we couldn't afford) to display the date. And also, of course, it took extra time to execute, which mattered with real-time systems.

It was always an interesting balancing act, trying to get as much out of a microcontroller as you could with as little cost as possible. It was great fun, but I don't think I'd want to go back to those days !

1. Someone Else Silver badge

And also, of course, it took extra time to execute, which mattered with real-time systems.

Real-time COBOL?!? Shirley, you jest.

3. A.P. Veening Silver badge

What a waste of space, properly encoded you can store a complete six digit date in two bytes, seven bits for the year, four bits for the month and five for the day.

1. Snake Silver badge

Waste of space

That's 2 full bytes for the date alone, on RAM-restricted systems. Add in the space for the time of day part of the time stamp, multiplied by the number of files that will use those additional bytes, and all of a sudden you're talking real space here.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

properly encoded you can store a complete six digit date in two bytes, seven bits for the year, four bits for the month and five for the day

Which is exactly what DOS does and is exactly why it will become unusable at the end of 2107 (127 years after 1980).

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Us system programming types used binary. Years up to 65,535 in two bytes, no problem. Even one byte got you past 2200 with a 1970 epoch."

I once wrote a video rental management system back in the early 80s and I couldn't afford a whole byte for the year, let alone two! Even then, I knew the system would not be in use in 10 years time (it wasn't!) so used 4 bits each for month and year, 5 bits for the day and the remaining three bits for rental status. Film titles were stored using a limited uppercase, numbers + some symbols character set using 6 bits per character and a couple of functions to convert a data string into the simple compression format. Storage was a pair of 180KB floppies and only 48K RAM to play with (or whatever was left after LDOS loaded on a TRS-80.)

4. martinusher Silver badge

Hardly a big deal. The original rationale for using two (BCD) digits is that it only used two columns on a punched card. There are a number of techniques for squeezing to much number into too little space (its a common problem in the fixed point world), it requires some ingenuity and a code tweak. It was never "the End Of The World As We Know It" scenario that it was hyped up to be with aircraft crashing, power grids collapsing and darkness reigning supreme over the Earth (worst case with the power grid scenario would be the lights stay on but they couldn't bill us for the power).

The worst that will happen to most systems who still use a 32 bit seconds counter for a clock is that they will suffer a tempoary glitch as the clock counts over (try it). As the article points out we should have moved on by then -- if the systems absolutely need to keep absolute time then they'll have long since shifted to a 64 bit time counter.

6. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Linux kernel

After much digging through the Linux include files, you can see that the time_t type on 64 bit kernels is defined as __SYSCALL_SLONG_TYPE, which appears to be a signed long integer. On x86_64. this is 8 bytes, or 64 bits.

It's been like this in the kernel for a long time (can't be arsed to go back through the kernel history).

On (legacy UNIX, so who would patch that), AIX, time_t has been directly defined as a long int since about AIX 5.1, (available before Y2K) and I'm pretty certain they carried that through into the filesystem code (this tends to happen automagically when the source is recompiled on a 64 bit system, unless explicitly turned off) by the types being defined in system wide #include files.

So the kernel has been fixed on Linux and many UNIX's for a long time There's been a range of tricks deployed to allow 32 bit binaries running to still pick up 32 bit time_t. This code will break still, but who is likely to be running binaries compiled for 32 bit systems im 2038. That would be real legacy code?

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: Linux kernel

On (legacy UNIX, so who would patch that), AIX, time_t has been directly defined as a long int since about AIX 5.1, (available before Y2K) and I'm pretty certain they carried that through into the filesystem code (this tends to happen automagically when the source is recompiled on a 64 bit system, unless explicitly turned off) by the types being defined in system wide #include files.

Problem is you can't just start widening on disk data structures with a recompile. If your time_t is 32 bits in your on disk data structures you'll need to rewrite your on disk data.

The issue is unlikely to be with OS level stuff, it's all the compiled software that's assuming it's a 32 bit value that will bite people.

This code will break still, but who is likely to be running binaries compiled for 32 bit systems im 2038. That would be real legacy code?

Lots of people I expect. Not spending money is a powerful motivator. :) I'm currently working on a codebase that is nearly 30 years old, we're currently modernising it (ie, rewriting it bit by bit), but I expect the existing code to still be running 10 years down the line, and that's 32 bit.

In the 70s computers were advancing at a frenetic pace, even in the 90s when I was starting out I remember being in awe of a minidisc player I had that had more processing power than the desktop I could've bought for 10 times the price just 2 or 3 years previously.

Those days are gone now, we're at the more gentle progression curve in computing now, like many other things, we now do need to start assuming the things we're building will be around for decades.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I agree, which is what the last sentence was all about, and I also agree about the space in assigned structures.

But when it comes to filesystems, for example, there's been a bit of a tweak that allows the mounter code to identify whether the filesystem was created using 32 bit or 64 bit time_t. Provided you go through the OS acquire the info contained in things like the inodes, it's possible to allow the system call to decide how to identify and present the data, keeping the function in the core part of the OS.

Anything that directly accesses this data without the OS's involvement would need special attention, however, as would any code managing it's own datafiles.

But in the next 18 years, we will not be running 32 bit processors (support for 32 bit Intel is due to be removed from the kernel quite soon, if it's not already), and I would be surprised if any system, or even code now running will be still running when the time comes without at least recompilation. It would be really clumsy system management to also not have re-created filesystems before then either.

Because of the nature of the system call interface being changed and the way that dynamic linking works, x86 Linux is not quite as tolerant when running old code (if the version of a shared library changes on a system, quite often old binaries fails to load and execute) as some other UNIX variants (I ran a binary I compiled in 1995 on a 32 bit AIX 4.1.2 system on a 64 bit system running AIX 5.3 a few years back, and it still ran perfectly)

I worked through the 1999-2000 transition working on UNIX systems, and know that in my first job in 1981/2 (not on UNIX), some of the code I created definitely would not cope with the 2 digit year rollover (I did point it out, but I was just a junior programmer). I would be interested in knowing whether anybody had any problems with parking ticket fines in the Borough of Rushmoor around Y2K, because that is the main system I worked on (although I did also work on DLO) in the fairly miserable year I was there.

I will be retired by 2038, but I hope to be mentally able enough (and still interested) to be able to say "I told you so!"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"But in the next 18 years, we will not be running 32 bit processors"

Wanna bet? There are literally millions of 8 and 16 bit embedded devices still out there never mind 32 bit so I would bet a significant sum on plenty of embedded 32 bit systems still running embedded linux in 2038+. Linux doesn't just run on x86 PCs.

1. NetBlackOps

Embedded seems to be one of the oft forgotten engineering disciplines, except to its practioners.

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

But in the next 18 years, we will not be running 32 bit processors (support for 32 bit Intel is due to be removed from the kernel quite soon, if it's not already)

I wouldn't count on that - I am currently designing an 8 bit (yes, EIGHT) bit system. As it's for the heating controls in the house, I won't be throwing it away and replacing it with something newer and shinier in 2 or 3 years time - but then it won't be handling dates at all. I'm also involved at work with systems where they have to consider the possibility of components becoming obsolete between the design being frozen and actually going into service (could be getting on for a decade, with any changes needing a very expensive refresh of the safety case), and having a planned service life of several decades. I strongly suspect (I'm not involved in that side of things) that since "more complex" means "much harder to prove safety", these won't be using the latest processors available.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Any sane filesystem inode structure (or any binary data structure for that matter) has a few forFutureUse fields so hopefully the change shouldn't be / wasn't too drastic.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Those "forFutureUse" fields are invariable of the wrong type and of no use whatsoever.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

There's not usually any problem with types, they're normally defined as an array of bytes and if you were to add e.g. a four-byte int to the structure you would remove four bytes from the array.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Sorry? The (C) type doesn't matter, they're just reserved bytes and the type can be changed to suit when needed. So long as they're in useful byte multiples such as 2, 4 or 8 and properly packed then you're usually sorted. I would suggest you and the clueless no-nothings who modded me down stick to json or XML and leave the binary side to those of us who know what we're doing.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Problem is you can't just start widening on disk data structures with a recompile. If your time_t is 32 bits in your on disk data structures you'll need to rewrite your on disk data."

Actually no. 2038 is the limit of a signed 32-bit value, but if we are talking about on-disk metadata, there is no need to handle dates prior to 1970 and so the 32-bit can be read as an unsigned value. That punts the problem out to 2106. Whilst it is nice that the XFS maintainers are looking at the issue, I'm not really sure there is a story here.

And since others have noted that 64-bit software (including the kernel) are already using a 64-bit time_t, we are now really only worrying about 32-bit user-space software being confused by the sudden appearance of a file creation date from around 1902.

1. NullNix

Can't do that. Real users might have used touch to set file times to any date in the currently-valid range, so we have to expand the range in a compatible fashion, not just slide it along. (Sure, maybe you could say "bugger any users doing such crazy things", but that's the difference between a hobby filesystem and a bulletproof one. :) )

There are also (mostly-invisible) timestamps in places like the quota format that needed handling (that one was handled by reducing its precision by a factor of four, quadrupling its range with almost certainly zero visible impact on any users ever).

2. J27

This was my thought too, "wasn't this already fixed in 64bit Linux". I checked and was coming down to storm into the comments to bring it up. But you beat me to it.

By 2038 I can't imagine this is going to be a big issue, it'll probably be like Y2K when only the worst-designed most legacy systems are affected.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Linux has had long time for a long time too; trick is, you've got some clocks that will roll from 2038 to 1970 (or 1900), you've still got linux on 32-bit platforms (IBM POWER was 64-bit from the start, although supporting 32-bit code), etc. As I say in another post, they were thinking they had 2038 fixed by 1999 or so. Hopefully IBM will thoroughly test setting some systems to 2038 to see what happens, I could easily see everything being in good shape, or I could see what happened with Linux where you'd ASSUME everything is fine and it's not.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Linux kernel @Henry

Actually, it depends on what you define as POWER. The original RIOS processors released in 1989/1990 were 32 bit, and 64 bit was introduced with the PowerPC processor architecture extensions, with the PowerPC 620 and RS64 processors (as well as the APACHE processor from the AS400 people in Rochester) being the first 64 bit processors in the extended family.

The mainstream processors that have only ever been 64 bit since their inception were the DEC Alpha and Intel Itanium (although was Itanium really mainstream?)

But my point is that any code that has been or will be re-compiled on a more modern system before 2038 will have 64 bit time_t (and the associated C library calls) by default, unless someone takes great pains to prevent it. It is likely to only be binaries that have not been compiled which will have problems.

Of course, there may well be code that instead of using the system definitions of various structures and types, define them themselves, but that would have been poor programming that probably will rattle itself out whenever the code is ported between systems. It's always been poor practice since the very early days of UNIX systems to hard code system properties in your code rather than using the system defined types.

I mis-spoke about no 32 bit processors in 2038, but I would like to point out that many embedded processors probably couldn't give a hoot about whether they have the correct date and time. Not sure what would happen during the actual rollover, though.

It is interesting. I had an IBM 6150 AIX system (the one before the RS/6000), whose support ended before in the mid 1990's, and I ran some quick checks on it in 1999, and I found that the only thing that didn't work properly was actually setting the date with the date command. Even the RTC that the system had worked properly. I don't think it would have coped with the 2038 rollover, but that system is now long gone.

4. Someone Else Silver badge

After much digging through the Linux include files, you can see that the time_t type on 64 bit kernels is defined as __SYSCALL_SLONG_TYPE, which appears to be a signed long integer. On x86_64. this is 8 bytes, or 64 bits.

It's been like this in the kernel for a long time (can't be arsed to go back through the kernel history).

And yet, they're still using signed time_t's, when a negative time_t value is invalid.

7. pavel.petrman

Sigh... the K notation again.

Where thith the "aka Y2K38" come from? As is usual, when a nice and functional thing created by enigneers and used by engineers lands in the hands of laymen without two layers of protective insulation, cringeworthiness ensues. Just like, for example, the semantic version numbering (remember the 2.0 craze followed by current 4.0 folly?) or the Internet itself, the order-letter notation (or does it have an actual name?) used to great advantage by engineers somehow leaked to the instagram-using youth for whom the letter K seemed to work much better than the digit 0. I couldn't care less if they kept it using just for amusement, but it came the full circle somehow and now whenever I see the letter K on the significatn position, especially following the digit 2, I must ask explicitly whether it really mans K or is just a fancy zero. Otherwise I can't be sure whether the value is 2038 (cool new instagram number format) or 2380, which it had meant for sveral decades before instagram ruining it. Fuc0 it, people, Y2K was not Y2K00!

1. ForthIsNotDead
      Happy

Re: Sigh... the K notation again.

It means x1000. Those that identify resistor colour codes have it ingrained (or rather, kicked) into them :-)

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Buy Better Resistors Or Your Grid Bias Voltages Go West...

I'm old, I am.

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Bye Bye Rosie, Off You Go, Birmingham Via Great Western...

1. englishr

Billy Brown relies on your gin, but prefers good whisky.

(p for purple rather than violet).

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Heh.. Not surprised one of the ones above me got deleted. I’m pretty sure I know what it was too. Our Electronics lecturer taught it as “look, there’s also another one that will guarantee you remember the order, but for god’s sake, don’t ever say it out loud”

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Might have been the same one I got taught as an impressionable apprentice - but back then you could just about get away with saying it if you were careful who was around you. These days I'm not sure it's even safe to think it - just getting as far as "1" could get you in trouble these days !

2. NetBlackOps

My Mom taught me the verboten phrase.

2. CAPS LOCK

"I'm old, I am" Ithink you mean...

...experienced.

2. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

Kilogram reveals it all.

"Kilo is a decimal unit prefix in the metric system denoting multiplication by one thousand (103). It is used in the International System of Units, where it has the symbol k, in lower case.

The prefix kilo is derived from the Greek word κιλό (kiló), meaning "thousand". It was originally adopted by Antoine Lavoisier's research group in 1795, and introduced into the metric system in France with its establishment in 1799.

In 19th century English it was sometimes spelled chilio, in line with a puristic opinion by Thomas Young.".

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Things like capacitors are now often marked as 4u7 (using the letter as a decimal point as well as a scaling factor), something I didn't realize until I started using miniature bead capacitors and surface mount components.

Having said that, I'm looking at the schematic for a NAD7020 HiFi reciever (circa 1977-1984), and I see C421 having a value of 2n2 (2.2nF), and R425 as 4K7 (4.7K Ohm), so I guess it has been used for a while. But it looks like different parts of the schematic were prepared by different people, because it's not consistent!.

2. Blake St. Claire
      Joke

I think they really meant Y2.038K

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Coat

This is IT, what they really mean is Y1.990234375KiB.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

They do, but the convention in engineering is that the unit multiplier can be used to replace the decimal point, viz:

1.2R -> 1R2

3.6K -> 3K6

6.8M -> 6M8

so

2038 -> 2.038K -> 2K038

Yes, Y2K38 would be the year 2380 +/- 5.

Plus, 238 isn't a prefered value! Should be 220 or 270, or go to E24 to get 240. ;)

3. J27

It's called the metric system.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

Don't open this can of worms, unless you want to end up with Casu Marzu...

1. bpfh
            Mushroom

The smell of that stuff can knock your wig off. I’d hate to see what would happen in proximity to a naked flame...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You all miss his point.

Y2k38 would ne 2.38 x 1000 , I.e. 2380

It's ambiguous, and doesn't even save characters!

8. Uplink

Future

Sounds like Oracle hit a problem with timestamps set in the future already and needed a quick fix, but didn't want to waste precious disk space either.

This should be taken as one of the first signs that this problem is starting to rear its ugly head and can't be put off much longer for software and structures that have't been updated to use 64-bit time yet.

9. Simone

Short memories...?

There have been several examples of industries that have bought an expensive machine tool (e.g. CNC machining centre) that runs using a computer program running on Windows 95, possibly using the parallel print port to print documentation. These have been bought assuming decades of use as heavy machinery was usually 'built to last'; things that wear out, such as bearings, were standard parts and could be replaced. The high cost of the machine was depreciated over a long time to justify its purchase.

The fact that software is no longer supported, both the operating system and the programs (usually the provider of these has gone out of business), does not matter to these companies. You may think it is short sighted, but the cost of a new machine would bring on bankruptcy, and the software does work. A survey after the Y2K

bug , Jan 2001, found that 80% of organisations were running windows 95; it went EOL in Jan 2003.

It is not always easy to stay on the upgrade train. It is not easy to guarantee what the expected end of life of an expensive piece of equipment will be.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Short memories...?

Equipment like that doesn't depend on the year. I'd be more concerned with slightly newer gear that requires or at least supports networking. That's far more likely to be a problem down the road than a Windows 95 machine humming away doing Windows 95 things, even had that had a Y2K bug and you had to set its clock back every few years when it ran over the limit.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Actually you'd be surprised how much of this sort of equipment is networked so that the designer sat in his office can generate a machine program from the CAD file and send it directly to the machine down in the workshop - definitely a step up from sneakernet with 3.5" (or even 5 1/4") floppies, or 9600bps serial links.

Without going into the heavy machinery market there are problems. At my last job I recall a client upgrading their phone system, and after well under a decade they were down to keeping a laptop around un-updated just to be able to manage the system.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"[...] you'd be surprised how much of this sort of equipment is networked [...]"

Many years ago a customer's business Remote Job Entry link (max 9600bps) to the data centre was getting corrupted transmissions very often. The errors were so weird they kept finding new bugs in the comms code.

Eventually transpired that the customer end included a long internal wire driven by line drivers. The unshielded cable was laid across the floor of their arc welding workshop.

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Joke

2486 vs 19000

There was already a suggestion in 2014 to make timestamps on XFS last until 19000. Maybe Oracle think they can get more out of their support contracts by fixing a problem twice?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Linux 5.10 to make Year 2038 problem the Year 2486 problem

> Linux 5.10 to make Year 2038 problem the Year 2486 problem

Just in time for the year of the Linux desktop

1. Martin
      Happy

Re: Linux 5.10 to make Year 2038 problem the Year 2486 problem

Made me laugh!

And the person who downvoted you is suffering from a serious sense of humour failure.

12. John_3_16
    Happy

Take-over solves the problem...

When M$ absorbs Linux & renames the new step-child "M$" then it will no longer be a "Linux" problem. As we have all read this process is already being executed. I can already hear M$ saying, "Hey there, little Linux user, want some M$ candy???"...

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Take-over solves the problem...

What a humorous post. I love the way you used the dollar-sign to show that Microsoft is a big corporation. Swift would be proud - his legacy is in good hands.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I've just submitted my one byte Linux date patch.

All dates are covid work-from-home friendly (so no point in having a time portion, I mean who is keeping track of that nowadays), and are encoded in a single byte as well as being human-readable. The encoding scheme is as follows:

L - last week/month/year/whenever.

Y - yesterday

T - today or tomorrow or just pretty soon really.

N - next week/month/year/whenever.

P - whenever the next mortgage, gas bill or credit card payment is due. They'll remind you.

D - the time interval between standing up in your Zoom call and remembering that your bottom half is not as well attired as your top half.

I'll post any feedback here.

14. EnviableOne

that reminds me

how long till 2095?

I have a few programs where the Y2k fix was take 2 digit date, if its less than 95 put 20, if more put 19 ...

but i was just a lazy kid back then....

15. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Good to get on this

Good to get on this! I remember, back in 1999, some patches being put into the Linux kernel to "fix" the 2038 bug, it was considered to be a solved problem! Like "let's fix this bit of time-handling code; done!" It looked reasonable, was reviewed by the kernel people at the time and considered a done deal.

Turns out, when people started working on 2038 bug again with the last year or two, that the 1999 fixes to handle clock rollover DID NOT WORK AT ALL. Once that was fixed, there were some places where you'd set something (near 2038 cutoff) for 1 second in the future or whatever, it'd instead schedule for 4 billion seconds in the future, or possibly 2^32+1 so it'd never reach it (this included stuff like process scheduling, so at 2038 rollover apparently the entire system would lock hard). Some filesystems only support UNIX timestamp, probably SOL (I was surprised to find one of my home computers still is using ext3, so vulnerable to year 2038 bug); some supported past 2038 but the support was not in-kernel (like this XFS case). It's turned out to take many many more patches than I think anyone was expecting!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like