back to article Need a new computer for homeschooling? You can do worse than a sub-£30 2007 MacBook off eBay

The COVID-19 pandemic has turned laptops — particularly those deemed "cheap and cheerful" — into a desperately sought-after commodity as education and work moves to the home. Institutions and parents alike are waiting longer and paying more for machines - even the so-called cheap laptops. Of course, there's another way. There' …

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Did this with a BlackBook

Got a black Macbook 2,1 for €20 a couple of years ago, fitted it with a new battery (another €20 from Aliexpress) and Librebooted it (it's one of the few machines that can be modified entirely in software). Currently running Trisquel Lite to keep it fully "libre". Lent it to my daughter as an emergency PC for university, though she complained about the weight...

Of course, as it's libre, there are no drivers for the webcam (a plus in my book) but you can easily attach one via USB if necessary.

The only problem is that it gets hot quite quickly - some people have drilled holes in the underside in front of the internal fan to improve ventilation, but I haven't been that brave yet.

1. MatthewHughes

Re: Did this with a BlackBook

> "The only problem is that it gets hot quite quickly - some people have drilled holes in the underside in front of the internal fan to improve ventilation, but I haven't been that brave yet."

Potentially silly question, but have you changed the thermal paste? The stock paste used on these machines isn't very good, and if it hasn't been changed, it's almost certainly flaky and brittle by now. A fresh blob of Arctic Silver should improve thermal performance. Also, consider cleaning out any dust from the innards!

No, I haven't changed the paste yet, though overheating is a known issue on these due to the lack of ventilation (Apple put in a fan but didn't think to allow the air to go anywhere).

1. Steven Raith

I can highly recommend a good thermal paste do-over - I had an, er, 2008 perhaps Macbook and it would run fans full blast all the time (and to be fair, I was hammering it) but once I redid the thermal paste and cleared out the vents, sure, it'd still run hot when being pushed, for just general odds and sods it was pretty quiet and cool.

Steven R

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The plastic fans are shitty in the MacBooks: I had to replace mine twice.

2. Oh Matron!

Ex AASP here....

Removing the keyboard (I did at least 100 of them) is shocking simple, but I URGE YOU TO REMOVE THE FAN AND COMPRESS AIR THE DUST AWAY. Because of the design of the air inlets at the back, and the propensity of people to use them on their bed whilst watching movies, etc, they used to suck as an extraordinary amount of dust.

The fan is held in by three screws, so easy to remove. You don't even need to disconnect the fan from the logic board (but be careful: those connectors aren't the most robust)

2. Liam Proven Silver badge

Top tip for a Lion browser

I have a 2008 white MacBook as an emergency spare if my SO's 2009 MBP suddenly dies.

It dual-boots Xubuntu 20.04 and MacOS 10.7.

No, there are no mainstream browsers for Lion, although Opera supported it later than most. But there's a Firefox fork that works well:

https://parrotgeek.com/fxlegacy.html

I found it worked extremely well on every modern site I tried. Makes Lion pretty usable again, combined with an old version of iWork or LibreOffice.

1. Jason Hindle

Re: Top tip for a Lion browser

I have one of those... Haven't switched it on in years. Thanks for the browser tip. As for Office, it still has a perfectly usable copy of MS Office, from that period, installed.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Yes, The MS Office will be perfectly usable, I'd guess 80% of it is still inside the current version.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Waterfox Classic also runs on 10.7.

3. karlkarl Silver badge

For £30 you could get an ex-business surplus ThinkPad like an X61.

And that not only will run the latest consumer OS but is also generally much better supported on free operating systems like Linux and BSD with a much more recent Core 2 Duo processor.

It is a hard choice because I like the novelty of a PowerPC laptop but ThinkPads are just better in the long run for everything I do.

That said, I suppose with Linux these days, other than slightly less packages, you don't even notice you are running a non-intel machine. I am eying up those Talos II POWER9 machines from Raptor Computing for my next workstation (due for a replacement in another 3-4 years).

I also dislike the look of macbooks oddly enough. They look like toys rather than tools and the OS just feels like an "old" install of FreeBSD with an ugly heavy window manager.

1. Snake Silver badge

For sure, older ThinkPads for the win. Also, especially if you stick with Windows, older-model (not *too* old) Dell Latitudes, the mid-generation ones still made with metal and with lots and lots of eBay parts availability.

Both those are the only laptops I recommend, really, even when someone tells me that they are looking to buy a new model. Unless you're ready to drop coin on a really nice machine, you can buy a recent ThinkPad or Dell out of business lease that originally cost multiples of what their budget for that new one is, yet get real quality, reliability and easy self-servicing.

I have a Latitude e6220 with memory maxed out and an SSD, still a very usable machine and solid as a rock. Shame about the 768p screen, though apparently it is possible to add an HD screen (the same as the Thinkpad x220) with a little jiggery-pokery.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Second hand Latitude E5550 here, with 16G ram and a 2T spinny disc. Running stock Mint Cinnamon without a worry, and plenty quick enough for full HD video viewing.

I can't remember the last time I bought a new laptop - certainly some years ago.

1. Down not across

Latitude E7240, i5, 8G RAM ,256G mSATA SSD, 1920x1080 (sadly glossy touchscreen as it was only one with decent resolution), smartcard reader/NFC , wifi, 3G. Running Devuan nicely.

Still see new, unused keyboards, wrist rest/touchpad and other various spares on fleabay.

Looking at the current ultrabooks, the final stumbling block is always WWAN. Maybe I'm odd in wanting it just built in rather than rely on tethering, but choices are very limited (and I could buy stack of these second hand ones for what one new would cost).

1. an it guy

Old Dells are fine

I've got an old Dell D820 (yep, 2008-ish), and upgraded from XP => Windows 7 => Windows 10 Pro. I replaced my wife's laptop with an SSD as 40+ chrome tabs were a problem, and I got her old HDD, and the D820 is reasonably usable even with only 4 GB of ram (it doesn't support more).

I'm not trying to lose it as it has a 1440x1200 screen, which is bigger than many new laptops, so meh. keeping it as it works quite well, and handily handles a 1TB HDD. Works for me

2. Danny 2

Nah, I bought a Dell on Gumtree for £50. I booted it up to test it and it seemed fine. Burned out later that day, the seller must've been using freezer spray.

I used to sell Pi's on Gumtree, customised for whatever, and I'd replace it if it failed. Second hand laptop market seems full of chancers and criminals.

2. MatthewHughes

Older ThinkPads are surprisingly pricey right now, compared to what they went for prior to the pandemic! I think it's for the reasons you mentioned -- they're usable, even if they're quite old.

1. PTW

Pricey thinkpads

You're not kidding! Laptops Driect are selling "refurbed" T440's at £410! And I thought they were getting expensive on fleabay when they appeared at over £200

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Re: Pricey thinkpads

T440 is an i5! That is far too new.

Try something older. OK, perhaps not necessarily a PowerPC G4 in age but still.

Perhaps a T60 if you wanted something large:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T60P-14-Laptop-with-Intel-Core-2-Duo-2-16GHz-4GB-RAM-250GB-HDD/164441727755

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T60-Genuine-Intel-R-Core-2-T5600-1-83GHz-4GB-500GB-HDD-Win7/114456415523

Both will beat the pants off a G4 macbook.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Pricey thinkpads

Plus with the T60/61 you can get a 14/15-inch 1400 x 1050 screen ....

2. Snake Silver badge

Well luckily I bought my stupid-level, lightly used ThinkPad before manure hit the fan. -_- P71, Xeon, Quadro P4000, 4k with calibration. I've maxed it out, 64GB, 3 SSD's plus DVD-RW, because I could and I'm planning to do video work; editing 4k eats you alive. Good timing on my part. For damn once :p

3. davidp231

Thinkpads

"It is a hard choice because I like the novelty of a PowerPC laptop but ThinkPads are just better in the long run for everything I do."

The Thinkpad 800 series would be the best of both worlds.

4. Steve Graham

My main machine for the last few years has been a Fujitsu Lifebook from 2011. Intel i5-2520M. It was an ex-corporate machine with no memory or disk and cost me £40.

The screen and keyboard are perfect, and the original battery is showing 84% of the original capacity.

Its predecessor, a Thinkpad T61, is now my home server.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Old laptops as servers...

You might want to reconsider this. Have you checked the power usage of that idling laptop recently? I had a similar setup with a Dell and was shocked how inefficient the power bricks / charging circuitry are when I bothered to measure it. I figure if it feels warm to the touch, the power saving from switching to e.g. a 4GB Raspberry Pi 4 will pay for itself in about year. USB3 to SATA adapters are also very cheap nowadays.

5. Mage Silver badge

ThinkPad like an X61.

Yes. an old PC is far more sensible than ANY old Mac, unless you want to run an old Mac OS.

Non-Apple means cheaper parts, maybe even a replacement new laptop keyboard for under €15. Batteries, RAM. HDD, media bays, screen hinges, even screens or replacement GPU boards on some laptops.

Old Apple gear is for Apple fans and collectors, not for the school kids to run Linux. The kids I know with old computers are using larger netbooks and old thinkpads with Linux. All of them free from offices upgrading.

6. Waspy

Some of the finest keyboards to ever exist

Have an upvote, old ThinPads are amazing, I have an X201 and X220 and they run great on Solus and Zorin OS respectively, although the 201 has an annoying hardware-level bug that turns the wifi off a lot. They also have some of the finest keyboards known to man. Except perhaps my Dell E7250, a laptop my partner had left lying around from an old job that I resurrected with Zorin. The keyboard is unbelievable.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

NIce collection!

You need a Clamshell in the mix. I have one in Lime Green. I installed Deepin on white a pre-polycarbonate, wasn't the greatest experience.

1. MatthewHughes

Re: NIce collection!

Clamshells are crazy expensive! Every time I try to bid on one, they end up going for north of £100, even if they're in pretty dismal condition!

5. Arbuthnot the Magnificent

Recycle!

Not much experience with Mac, but I'm writing this comment (in the pub, it's Friday) from my 2010 Panasonic running Artix Linux - less than £100 on eBay for a reasonable i5 with 8GB of RAM, one SSD install later and it runs really well. I also recently set up a Dell Latitude i3 that my old employer threw away for my sister. Plenty of scope for cheap computing, as long as you move away from the bloat and planned obsolescence of MS.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Recycle!

Probably about 6 months too late for this, but, if you've been good to your IT folks, obsoleted work laptops may be available.

I have a couple (Dell M4400 and E6400), won at a raffle they held to dispose of corporate gear that had exceeded its statistical (but not practical) lifetime. They replace laptops on a 3-year cycle. Withdrawn ones are still perfectly useful, but not worth the hassle of repairing...or something like that.

You'll need to spring for a new HDD (around $80 for a SSD, so no worries about mechanical damage, and faster, to boot) and install Linux on it. Its not too well known, but once you remove Windows, the remote management and antivirus software, those laptops are quite zippy running Linux Mint.

There's wisdom in remembering your IT bods at holiday time. They remember you at equipment disposal time.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trouble with laptops is that unless you buy a toughbook, they are inherently fragile.

Second hand laptops tend to come with broken screen hinges, worn out mousepads. duff batteries and intermittent power inputs.

A second hand desktop PC is far better bet and they can often be picked up free or almost free. I've rescued them out of skips in the past.

1. Steven Raith

I'll agree that second hand desktops can give a lot more bang for buck, but if you're spending <£100 on a laptop:

A: It'll be of a certain vintage

B: If it's a popular one,being of a certain vintage that means *tons* of teardown tutorials on Youtube

C: Parts will generally be cheap.

Broken screens can be replaced without too much trouble, just a little patience. Same for trackpads. Batteries are cheapy cheap, and the power input? most are on a daughterboard that can be swopped in a fairly straightforward manner.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm a twenty year, died in the wool IT tech so I have certain skills and attitudes that make me think things are easier than they are to a layman, but on the flipside, I fucking hate working on laptops - all those fiddle bits - and even I have done literally all of the above, while drunk. if I can do it after a bottle of Merlot while singing along to Death in Vegas songs, you genuinely can too.

Buy something really cheap, and broken, and just try it. Chances are you'll spend a takeaway dinner and an evening in the pub on it.

Worst case, you have a brick on your hands, but have learned something.

Best case, you can charge beer for swapping screens out.

Steven R