back to article Teracube whips out cheap, fixable phone with removable battery and four-year warranty

Hoping to break the cycle of environmental catastrophe that is consumer tech, Teracube's next eco-conscious and repairable smartphone is available for pre-order on crowdfunding platform Indiegogo. The Teracube 2e's specs are fairly humdrum, but you'd expect as much given its ticket price of $139. Under the hood is a low-end …

1. Old Used Programmer

Alternate use...

Looks like what I've wanted for some time. Something that could function as a PDA. My needs are simple...a way to take notes and store files, plus an "appointment" calendar. I wonder how hard it would be to install a generic Linux system...

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Alternate use...

You might want to look at the PinePhone. While its specs are worse than this one, it is designed to run a variety of Linux distributions and provides the resources needed to easily port things that aren't yet in the list of thirteen working distributions. It is also easy to repair (Youtube video demonstrating disassembly. If Linux is what you want, this might be a more reliable way of guaranteeing that you'll get it. One note, I don't have one of these and can't vouch for its quality.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The PinePhone people have been very uncharacteristically VERY silent for quite some time now; even deleting blog entries asking about subjects which they had mentioned addressing months ago.

Something's different in the Pine camp...

Could you specify the questions that aren't being answered? In an attempt to inform myself, I searched for the blog posts that were deleted, but I couldn't find them. At the time of writing, the official blog contains nineteen posts from 2020. Going to the Internet Archive, I've searched through their historical captures of the blog and I have not found any posts in those captures that don't currently appear on the blog from Pine64. I only looked at posts in 2020, so if they only deleted years-old posts, I didn't search that far. They do bring up phone-related things from time to time, so I'd be curious to hear the things about which they're silent.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It is duly noted that you delicately waltzed all around the main---very short and highly comprehensible (for most people)---thrust of the post, and instead concentrated on the minor---but still very valid---point, aided by an incomprehensible application of illogic and distinct lack of appreciation of the value of time.

Why didn't you, in your "...attempt to inform myself...", simply write to Pine Microcomputer and ask them why they have suddenly gone so silent. Would have saved a lot of time AND given you an answer to the comment's MAIN POINT.

Reading comprehension is a real bitch, ain't it?

Not at all. There were two points in the post:

1. Pine64 is being silent.

2. They deleted blog posts.

The first point is an opinion, the second one a statement of fact which I couldn't corroborate. I therefore asked for the reasons for the opinion and assistance proving me wrong.

I can't contact Pine64 about their purported silence, because I don't know what you (or a different anonymous person but I'm guessing you're the same) think they're being silent about. So I asked you. You feel they're silent, so you could easily tell me what type of information they could be providing but aren't. I could contact them and ask about their silence. Let's see how that would have gone:

Me: Good morning. I hear that you are being silent, specifically regarding the PinePhone. Why are you doing that?

Them: We're not being silent.

Me: I have a statement from an anonymous person online that says you are.

Them: What does your source say that we're being silent about?

Me: I don't know; they wouldn't tell me.

Them: What evidence was provided that we're being silent?

Me: Not sure. They claimed deleted blog posts but I couldn't find them and they wouldn't point those out either.

Them: So you're asking us about an opinion from a person who wouldn't provide any specifics, whose allegations aren't proven, and you have no reason to think they have special knowledge about this stuff?

Me: Yes, that's what I'm doing. They said you are silent, so you must be. Tell me why.

Them: We've posted blog posts regarding the PinePhone several times in the past months. One in September, two in August, two in July, one in June.

Me: I know you talk about the phone a lot, but you're being silent about some things. Why?

Them: What things?!

Me: I don't know, you tell me.

I thought you actually had something of relevance. You could have pointed me to the deleted blog post. You could have stated your opinion on information that was insufficiently explained. You could have just said "They're being silent about issue X". Want to try any of those?

2. doublelayer Silver badge

A suggestion for a long life

To all people developing devices like this, which are supposed to run a long time. There's just one thing you need to do to guarantee my confidence, but it will also help you a lot with extended support. Find a custom version of Android known for releasing updates, my preference would be Lineage OS, and add support for your device there. You probably don't have to worry about updating it to new versions of that either; even if it doesn't happen, people will still be on the latest security update. If your device is popular enough among the community, and being a device with manufacturer-guaranteed support will probably help, someone else will do the update work for you. Meanwhile, I will have confidence to purchase your device.

I use my phones for long periods before replacing them. One of the reasons I can do this is that I use software which continues to have available security patches and even the occasional new feature. I have succeeded thus far without causing damage to the hardware, so the warranty is not the primary concern for me. It is certainly useful, but I'm mostly planning that I won't need it often if at all. Software support is more critical.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A suggestion for a long life

In which case they should have a 5G chip also ! After all we are at the fag end of 2020 and 5G being the future, which better way than future proof this handset (charging a bit more too, would be fine by Eco Warriors).

So, even less wastage when 5G truly becomes mainstream. (if netoworks wake up)

Possibly, but even when 5G does happen, it isn't going to make 4G obsolete. It took a long time for 2G and 3G to die, and that's only in some countries. Europe especially has kept these around for several more years yet. Therefore, I'm not sure it's that important to include it since it's not core to the device continuing to function; by the time 4G isn't being used anymore, the biodegradable back cover will probably no longer exist.

2. guyr

Took a look at the specs - missing bands 66 and 71. So, forget about 5g. Unfortunately, this phone doesn't even have newer 4G bands. I like the idea, and my needs are pretty basic; I especially like the replaceable battery, which every phone before my current one had. My current phone is LG G7, which was engineered in 2018, and has both 66 and 71. So, doesn't seem like including these bands in 2020 should be a difficult engineering challenge.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Also, the first generation of 5G phones were power hungry, and the current gen isn't being bought in huge numbers (because they are more expensive, the user might not have 5G where they live, or the user doesn't see any clear advantage to it) so it's possible that a current 5G version of a phone model won't be as well supported by the custom OS crowd into the future as its 4G brother.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Find a custom version of Android known for releasing updates

the question before that should be: Find a custom version of a handset known for being rootable :(((

3. jospanner

I really hope this takes off.

The disposable attitude that we have towards expensive and complicated machinery is disgusting. The amount of wasted materials, energy, and emissions involved in things like electronics and vehicles by scrapping rather than repairing (or planned obsolescence) is horrendous.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

By weight, silicon chips takes an awful lot of energy to produce compared to, say, pressed steel or cast aluminium. Fortunately, they don't weigh that much compared to cars. As you can see, I don't have any figures off the top of my head, so can't make any meaningful analysis except to say 'it's complicated'. Another factor: it isn't ecological concerns that have stopped me upgrading my phone for three years and my laptop for ten years - it's just that they are still fit for purpose in a way that their predecessors never quite were. It took generations of phones and laptops to arrive at models for them to mature.

More than complicated: it's complex. Let's assume, for argument's sake, that car and ride sharing cuts down the number of cars that are manufactured. For that to work, people would have to have upgraded their 2005-era phone to one that has GPS. (Just an example, I know that the whole concept of ride sharing is itself more complex in reality than it is on paper).

Tl;dr: this stuff is important, but it's also complex and worthy of careful study. Let our emotions motivate us, but let our intellects guide us.

4. TWB

I don't need one but...

I hope to keep my current Honor 10 lite for several years as it seems to work fine and has not slowed down yet, so I will not be getting one of these just yet, but I almost feel like giving them £20 for at least trying to be a bit different.

5. Joe Gurman

If....

....all those swapped out main logic board at Apple Stores and authorized repair outfits all happen to make it back into the Apple refurb process, and thence out to replacements phones for those whose fondletoys have died, which is better: a crap solder job by someone who offers a 30-day "warranty," or a factory repair? Just asking.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: If....

It's plausible that Apple have designed features into the logic boards that allow them to easily (read: cheaply) test them before they are reused; certainly they have solid data on the reliability of logic boards and thus have confidence that reusing them in a refurbished phone isn't going to result in the same phone being returned six months down the line.

Another issue is that Apple will only sell refurbished phones that are 'as new'. The external, visible parts are glass and metal (easily recycled, low environmental impact, fairly cheap to make once tooled up) can just be replaced with new parts. 'As new' includes waterproofing though, and that requires accurate placing of proprietry adhesives/gaskets and likely an expensive machine for depositing a hydrophobic coating on internal parts.

(I don't know that Apple use a vapour-deposited coating, but Samsung do. That's likely enough to make me have Samsung replace my phone's battery rather than attempt to do the job myself)

6. Joe Gurman

Well, good luck

For some reason, people who have the cash seem all too willing to pay the $400 or $600 or $1100 for the new shiny every 2/3/4 years, rather than picking up a bog-standard, feature-free clunker like this for the sake of swap-ability of components none of them has ever even dreamt of swapping out. How are you going to make replaceability sexy? It never worked on cars, or TVs, or even toasters. Good luck with that.

1. Zolko Silver badge

Re: Well, good luck

"components none of them has ever even dreamt of swapping out"

battery, SD-card ... do you have a clue about what you're talking ?

"... replaceability ... It never worked on cars"

Ah, OK, no, you have no clue (tyres, clutch, breaks ... haw are they not replaceable parts ?)

2. Intractable Potsherd

There is still a thriving market for that most repairable car, the Land Rover Defender, and the early Range Rovers, and Discoveries. TVs used to be very repairable - I held off getting a flat-screen until it was no longer practical to fix the old CRT. Toasters *should* be repairable. I suppose it depends on what you mean by "sexy"

1. Duffy Moon

"Toasters *should* be repairable."

They certainly can be. I bought a used Rowlett toaster about twenty years ago. Replacement elements are available (as well as other spares, of course). I have replaced the elements once in that time.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will it run Linux?

If not, get a $150 PinePhone instead.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Will it run Linux?

No, it's:

But can I wipe it and put a PROPER linux on there.

8. Dave 126 Silver badge

One of the brands best known for the sustainability and transparency of its supply chain is the outdoor clothing company Patagonia. It should be no great surprise that many consumers who are concerned about the natural world also like to spend time in the great outdoors. Where it rains. Where there are rivers and puddles.

If I was pitching a phone at people who are concerned the environmental impact of the phones, I'd make it waterproof.

1. confused and dazed

Perhaps the outdoor folk also have water proof Patagonia Jackets (with pockets) ....

2. doublelayer Silver badge

I also appreciate water resistance as a feature of phones I might buy, but it's hard to properly seal a device for waterproofness and keep it this repairable. Some things can be done; waterproof isn't incompatible with SD cards or removable batteries. It does make it a little tricky to take the main board out, put in another one, and still have the result be waterproof. They might instead create a waterproof case to put the phone in, which would make the device bulkier but would mean they could obtain both their goals.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

There have been some Samsung Galaxy Active phones and some Sony phones that had swappable batteries and were waterproof. The closing mechanism and gasket does add bulk over glue though.

A waterproof case can be done, but it only shifts the sealing problem elsewhere - i.e, between the phone and the case, as opposed to the battery compartment cover and the phone.

That said, for outdoor adventures bulk isn't such an issue (lots of big pockets on jackets or rucks sack straos to attack the phone to), so a first party waterproof case is viable (though possibly not economically viable, since the cost of injection mould tooling is spread amongst only a fraction of the phone's buyers.)

9. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Understand Louis's standpoint

"Right-to-repair advocates like Louis Rossman have long argued that many consumer technology repairs are pointlessly wasteful".

This is misleadingly vague. Louis argues that devices should be fixable, and that parts and schematics should be available to anybody who wants to fix devices. What he complains about is the way that people like Apple and more recently other device makers have made it deliberately difficult/impossible for devices to be repaired (and even in some cases designed to fail - or at least design defects not fixed and carried forward into later models), meaning that devices have to be replaced rather than repaired, even when repairs could be relatively simple.

10. David Roberts

Eventually we will reach peak phone

PCs are replaced less often these days because, IMHO, there are few really major improvements in performance these days.

10 year old PCs can still handle an average user's workload.

Phones are still seeing leaps and bounds in performance, although not as startling as in the past, so the reason to update a phone is still there eventually.

In my limited experience one of the biggest issues with older phones is lack of memory. While daily or weekly updates of the software seem to leave the old updates lying around you are going to run out of space eventually. One of the many nice things we could have would be new releases of Apps which include all the old patches which could then be deleted.

[Thinks - if you are prepared to risk losing all your data could you just uninstall and reinstall all your Apps from time to time, or with locked down ones disable them and revert to factory then enable again to get a later version? Or would you just get all the updates in one go?]

1. Charles 9

Re: Eventually we will reach peak phone

"In my limited experience one of the biggest issues with older phones is lack of memory."

Let's be clear. Do you mean lack of memory (as in RAM) or lack of storage (as in flash memory)?

For the former, as apps get upgraded, the baseline for their usability rises with them. It's why I eventually had to stop using my Note 4, as every app I tended to use got put to sleep, sometimes even while I was using them.

When it comes to storage, most apps only keep the most recent version and maybe one backup. The new version simply replaces the old one in storage, much like how you upgrade computer programs. Uninstalling and reinstalling may recover some space, but this is usually cache and other assorted cruft that comes with the use of the app. If the app itself is big (and getting bigger with each update), you're going to use it up no matter what.

2. P. Lee

Re: Eventually we will reach peak phone

I seem to think the latest Google Pixel "upgrade" actually has a slower CPU than the previous generation.

Check the Linus Tech Tips WAN show for a discussion on the need for better phone hardware.

11. Spacedinvader
    Facepalm

Rossmann

At least spell his name right...

12. c3me
    Thumb Up

offering a de-Googled version would be a deal clincher

extended battery life and improved performance by not making constant contact with Redmond's servers would be a deal-making option

1. P. Lee

Re: offering a de-Googled version would be a deal clincher

Google - Redmond?

The main problem is maps. It's difficult to have a business model around something which needs constant updates and also which doesn't snoop on where you're going.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like