back to article Beware, drone fliers, of Scotland's black-headed gulls. For they will tear your craft from Mother Nature's skies

An innocent drone has crashed after being attacked by an aggressive Scottish black-headed gull. The remote-controlled craft, a DJI Matrice M200 quadcopter, was being flown over Stranraer Academy in Dumfries and Galloway when the avian terror struck without warning. Black Headed Gull Chroicocephalus Ridibundus Larus Click to …

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Once upon and Lands End...

Some form of gull once nicked a whole steak and ale pasty from me at Land End. Wrapper and all the feathered bastard!!!!

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Once upon and Lands End...

I'm off down there later this week. I'll keep an eye out for the cheeky feathered bar steward, and if I see him I'll offer up an alka-seltzer loaded pasty!

--------------->

1. EBG

Calcium carbide sandwiches were the traditional offering. Must be illegal now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Calcium carbide sandwiches were the traditional offering. Must be illegal now.es were the traditional offering. Must be illegal now.

I've been told that soft brown sugar and live yeast mixed together is the thing to use against cockroaches. Apparently they can't fart so as the yeast ferments inside their gut they eventually burst. Their fellow cockroaches then feed on the remains and the yeast continues to do its work.

2. James O'Shea

Gulls: winged pirates.

1. DJO Silver badge

Far too prosaic, "sky-rats" is more apposite.

2. Unoriginal Handle

"Winged pirates" ? Indeed, they arrrrrr....

3. Roger Kynaston

In the world of gulls, food isn't yours till it is down your gullet.

2. skotl

C'mon the burds!

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Just need to arm them with lasers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Gulls with fricking lasers.

Not as good as sharks but it's a start. Mwah-hah-hah-hah!

3. Chris G

See you!

Yer no flyin' in ma sky wi'oot aksin' furst!

4. H in The Hague

Yellow

Apparently gulls don't like yellow, which is why you can get yellow covers for some AU. And in some parts of town here the council provides yellow bin bags to stop them being ripped open by seagulls. Unfortunately, I don't know how effective this deterrent is.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: Yellow

I wonder if this one had transparent panels and the drone's circuitry was exposed?

Well we all know what gulls are like at going for chips...

5. Keith Oborn

Bigger birds have bigger targets

Hear tell recently of a pilot in a single seat glider who had a large eagle crash through the canopy. He was left with no canopy and 3 kilos of extremely pissed off eagle in his lap. This took him a little while to resolve. Bird and human both survived, somewhat chastised.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Bigger birds have bigger targets

Paragliders often fly in the company of vultures; sometimes the vultures don't look where they're going: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N65ALqiBW_o

1. TimMaher Silver badge
        Joke

“In The Company of Vultures”

What a really good title for fairy tale movie.

Set in a Central European forest perhaps?

1. Anonymous Custard
          Headmaster

Re: “In The Company of Vultures”

Or more it would be a good title for the pre-covid pub lecture get-togethers that this fine rag organised for our delectation, delight and even occasional education?

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

Thanks a lot for the video link. I think that pilot was very brave to untangle the bird without mail gloves and a heavy faceshield. To think that my biggest worry used to be fear of stalling! This guy could have lost eyes and fingers!

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

An excellent example of why I repack my reserve chute twice a year, even though I've never used it in anger... I was flying at Algodonales a couple of years back and flew away from the main ridge and hooked a thermal just as a hundred or so vultures decided to fly out from their roost under the ridge and join me. Fantastic experience - those birds are a couple of metres across the wings and they're much better fliers than me!

There is (or was) a subtitled version of the video floating around somewhere, but I couldn't locate it yesterday.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

spetsnaz in india, what could go wrong?! ;)

6. James O'Shea

Hmmm...

That pic's not of a black _backed_ gull; it doesn't, well, have a black back. It could be a black _headed_ gull.

Jokes about overly hormoned teenagers will be treated with the contempt they deserve.

1. Ozumo

Re: Hmmm...

Story refers to Black-headed throughout, even to the extent of quoting the correct taxon.

2. Muscleguy

Re: Hmmm...

Agreed, it looks more like a tern to me. Not all seabirds with black heads are gulls. Also the black BACKED gull doesn’t usually have a black head as the name suggests. The bill is large, wickedly curved and yellow.

And of course this is Scotland where the wildlife can be, well Scottish. Though I well recall sitting outside our wee hotel near Fort William with a drink as the gloaming fell as a mother pine marten not only came for her feed of dogfood but brought her kits as well. Pine martens are gorgeous, their kits are absolutely gorgeous. Full of wee predator curiosity. That is some trust for a mother to bring her babies in front of a bunch of strangers even if the owners were there as well.

7. IGotOut Silver badge

Soo....

...look forward to Gulls vs Amazon. Revenge of the birds.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BASH Strikes

Bird Aircraft Strike Hazard - the number one cause of all aircraft problems since the dawn of time. It was just a matter of time for smaller aircraft like drones to catch-up....

9. Danny 2

Chipzkrieg

Never take chips to Linlithgow Loch because the gulls have allied with the swans. The gulls will swarm dive bomb you (Ju87 Stukas) while simultaneously the swans run at you with wings extended (Panzer tanks). I suspect the ducks may be informers too. They do communicate - if one bird spots chips then they alert the other species to the target.

OTOH, if you are stuck with a tourist you don't like then buy them a bag of chips and walk them around the palace, at a slight distance.

1. Muscleguy

Re: Chipzkrieg

We got attacked by a Swan on the Cambridge backs once. It took umbrage at our football then my shoes. I had to get quite shirty with it before it went away.

10. Lars Silver badge
    Unhappy

Not agressive

just playful, try to steal their eggs and you will see the difference. Great sport among us kids a long time ago, with a shitty ending each time.

11. Dazzz

Gulls

Seagulls can be feisty around breeding time I remember flying a hawk shaped kite on a beach one year and it got mobbed by about 20-30 seagulls

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: got mobbed by about 20-30 seagulls

as seen on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uel1vfAQ52M&list=PLzA1x1S5lZ0Zf3veZotVX0UJOHFic4-hk

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Gulls

I was flying a rather large kite on the beach once, and a seagull (no doubt looking for a snack and not where they were going) flew right into my kite string.

They recovered nicely, with a bit of an "I meant to do that" look to see if any other of its ilk saw it, and flew on.

They like to slope soar on the beach, with a sea breeze, up against the dunes, as they scan for exposed chip bags and sandwiches...and sometimes the entire zipped up food carrier.

12. Richocet

I can't wait until a vulture takes out a drone.

We will hear it at El Reg first I am sure.

1. Danny 2

Re: I can't wait until a vulture takes out a drone.

‘Mama’ drone used to deliver food to rare vulture

You’ve probably heard about cases where certain bird species will perceive a drone as a threat and attack it, right? Well in this case, a drone has been put to use to deliver food to a rare vulture chick in Israel. In fact, this drone has to replace one of the vulture’s parents – earning it the nickname of “Mama” drone.

13. Kev99 Silver badge

Gotta love wildlife. Smarter than humans, most of them.

14. Simon Buttress

The joys of zero redundancy

Always the dangerous thing with quads, no redundancy in case of failure. 6kg and a lot of expensive equipment. Ouch.

15. Medical Cynic

On holiday in Norway a few years ago I visited Bergen harbour fish market.

Whilst perusing their wares, a seagull dive-bombed me, landing its payload of fishy sh*t straight down my right external auditory meatus. Strangely, it felt pleasantly warm!

So plug those lugs when you're in the company of excited seagulls!

16. Grinning Bandicoot

My first thought is that the independence movement was getting militant. Think raising gull chicks as a voice of protest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like